Seeking advice

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by Lenakay, Jan 30, 2003.

1. Lenakay

Lenakay Guest

Jan 30, 2003

I understand that if your child is born after Sept, the school prefers to hold him back a year. However, my kid has just turned 3 in Nov and was bored in class so they promoted her to Pre-K and she absolutely loves it! She is stimulated with phonics and math and enjoys going to
    school. She is in a private American school in Singapore. However, we are planning to move to the US. What is your advice/experience with children born after Sept? Is it better to hold them back because they are younger and smaller in size or let them progress intellectually if they are able to do so?

3. Tara19

Tara19 Companion

Jan 30, 2003

I would say that you should have your child tested to see how smart your child is. If they think she is ready, they will send her. Hope that helps!

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Jan 30, 2003

My school would not 'send her'! We have guidelines for very good reasons. For the most part, the children that I've seen who have gotten through by going to K in a private school and then transferring in still have difficulty either socially or academically. Don't rush your child- especially with a transition from another country. Your child could do well academically and socially now but then run into problems when adolescence hits and everyone is physically changing, driving, dating while your child is not ready yet! Believe me childhood goes so fast! Continue providing enriching activities for your child, enjoy this time together- it's precious! There's plenty of time for school. PS- If your three year old is BORED in preK it's time to find a new preK! There are plenty of programs that provide enriching environments without rushing the academics!

5. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jan 30, 2003

Maybe you will be lucky and will move to a state with a further off cutoff date than Sept. I saw a list online one time and it told what states had what age limits. If I can find it, I'll post it.

Good Luck!
    Lori

6. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Jan 30, 2003

That's true.. states differ greatly. Some have the cutoff date as late as December! The cutoff for us is July 31.. and in my experience those kids with June and July birthdays have more trouble than others, but it's generally worse for boys since they mature later than girls.

7. AngelaS

AngelaS Cohort

Jan 31, 2003

Yeah, ours is December and it's awful. They are in the process of changing it to September 15th, I believe. I love the July idea, but interesting how they still have problems- it's just an earlier a month, if that makes sense.

I agree about the bored three-year-old. I have never seen a preschooler who didn't love going to preschool, if for no other reason than to be with peers. It sounds like the teachers were unable to adapt their instruction to meet their student's needs. I am glad PreK is working. What is the plan next year- do you think she'll be bored when she has to do PreK twice?

8. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Jan 31, 2003

cut off date`

our requirements are any b-day before sept.1 can enroll. I dont know if you are aware, public school by law will have until 2005 to begin preschool for four year olds!

9. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jan 31, 2003

The Michigan cut-off date is Dec. 1st. Monday I'll be getting a new kindergartener, who missed the cut-off date by 2 weeks. She has spent the first half of the year in preschool. I don't know what she knows. She had a friend whose bd is 12/1 start on Wednesday. The friend only knows her letters & numbers. No sounds, no social skills, doesn't know how to use handwriting paper!

Both of these girls have spent 1/2 the year in preschool. I don't know what the one I'm getting knows. I get to wait until Monday to find that out.

10. AngelaS

AngelaS Cohort

Feb 1, 2003

Who made the decision to let them transfer mid-year? Will they be back next year or be promoted to 1st grade? I have never heard of such a thing! What a challenge for you!

11. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Feb 1, 2003

The principal is letting them in. She says that the parent of the child that I am getting does not care if she goes to 1st grade or not. She has 2 older brothers at school, the oldest is very bright, I don't know if he's qualified as gifted or not. Mom works with the kids, so hopefully she'll be ok.

12. Shawnmarie

Shawnmarie Rookie

Feb 1, 2003

Our cutoff in my district here in NY is December 8th. And for preK, my schools have always been December 1st. One year I had a child turning 3 and another turning 4, both on December 1st, in the same class! The boy who turned 4, his parents didn't want to rush him, and the other boy just made the cutoff.

13. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 1, 2003

In Florida the cutoff is Sept 1, but if a child transfers in from another state which had a later cutoff, Florida will place the child in the grade he/she was in elsewhere. I have a 5th grader with an Oct birthday who is a little pipsqueak, cute as a button, an average student. He is barely hanging on by his fingernails. No matter what the topic, he just about barely gets close to getting it and we move on. I feel so bad for him. There is nothing wrong with him except that he is young. The last LA test included direct objects - and he is working on nouns and verbs. I just passed a note along to his mom that he simply wasn't ready for this part of the curriculum. I really hate to see this. Especially with boys, I wish parents would give their children every opportunity to succeed - and not push them.

14. AngelaS

AngelaS Cohort

Feb 1, 2003

Wouldn't it be nice if they could have seperate classes for kids with different b-days? Like Sept- Feb birthdays (turning 5) in one teacher's class and February- August birthdays (turning 5) in another. I don't know how practical that would be, but it seems like it would be easier to meet the needs of the kids that way. Every year I have a kid or two that I think might need to be tested for spec ed, and when I look at their birthday, I realize...ohhhh, they are ten months younger than the rest! Poor babies!

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 1, 2003

I've found it hard enough when a 'young' child slips through somehow and then ends up struggling but how about this...When I taught 3rd grade, I had a child transfer in Dec into my class who came from India- the parents said she had passed 'second standard' which the office translated to mean second grade. Turns out K is first standard and 1st grade is second standared in India. (took us a month to figure that one out) So I had a student who came to 3rd with only a first grade education (from India) The principal thought it would be too stressful to go through another change, but the guidance dept and I convinced mom that going to second would make this child's experience more successful so we were able to do it...she continued to have difficulties in second, but not as much as she would have faced in 3rd.

16. Guest

Guest Guest

Feb 4, 2003

I teach a 4/5 y.o pre-k class and the cut off date for our public school is Dec. 31st! As pre-k teachers, we hate this we wold like to see it changed to Sept. 1st.
    I have children going to Kinder at age 4, not turning 5 until December - most are not ready for Kinder. but I can do nothing to stop it, we conference with the parents to let them know where their child is developmentally, but it is ultimately their decision - and what really stinks is my town has now gone from mostly half-day kinder to mostly full-day, so now we have children who have just come out of a half day program 3 -4 days a week going to an all day kinder 5 days at the age of 4!! I had a parent 3 years ago whose son was turning 5 on Dec. 27th there was no way this child was socially/academically ready for Kinder. WE tried to tell her that if he had been born just 5 days later (on Jan 1st) she would not be able to send him, why send him just because his birthday allowed it? But she would not listen to us. She enrolled her second son in my center recently and I found out her first son was struggling in 2nd grade, he is the youngest in his class and socially is not "keeping up" with the others - she now wishes he had spent 1 more year in pre-k - if he ends up being retained it will be much more of a stigmatism in 2nd then it would have in pre-k - no one would have even known!