Seeking ADD advice/techniques

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by missrogers, Aug 6, 2007.

1. missrogers

missrogers Rookie

Aug 6, 2007

Hello,
    I am a brand new kindergarten teacher and even though it's only the first full day I had to talk to a mom. A child with ADD was screaming at the top of his lungs because he wasn't following directions and after repeated warnings I told him he had to miss recess. Mom is going to look into getting medication adjusted, but I would like to have as many tips/as much advice as possible. I didn't even know where to begin. he is a very smart kid, he was the only one who remembered all the rules believe it or not. I just want to do all I can to help. Any tips/advice?

3. weisemaries

weisemaries Rookie

Aug 6, 2007

Find multiple times during the day when he has permission to be off task. Find him something tactile to do with his hands--what has worked for me has been to put the soft side of velcro (with the sticky stuff attached) on the underside of the student's desk. That allows his hands to busy (quietly) so that his mind can focus on what I am doing. Another thing that has worked for me in the past is to have an excersise ball for the student to "sit" on while doing tasks--this allows their body to be busy and their mind to focus.
    A child who has ADD has a mind that is constantly busy, if you allow their body to busy, then their minds can concentrate on what they are supposed to.
    I hope that helps.

4. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 6, 2007

I would avoid taking away recess if at all possible. Maybe instead of free recess he could walk laps on a track or just around the edge of the play equipment. Taking away his chance to move is only going to make things worse for yourself. Be prepared to give this student lots of activities, he needs to be stimulated to work at his best. Do not teach him to be dependent on his medicine. Many students learn to use it as an excuse later (I didn't take my medicine today so I won't have a good day).

5. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 6, 2007

It really is different for each child. Since it is just the beginning of the year you will have to do a lot of trial and error and monitoring to see what works and what doesn't.

The biggest help is knowing what seems to trigger him the most and when. Sometimes when you can figure this out, you can change a few things environmentally to make things a little smoother.

A student last year needed me to gently tap him on the back if he is getting mild/moderately off task. Sometimes I needed to have him sit in a desk semi close to the table of students but not right with them (first). He could communicate but he wasn't as distracted either. Sometimes he was asked to sit next to me. I had to watch any papers I gave him so that it didn't have too much visual stuff or information all on one page. He wouldn't focus on the one question. During standardized testing I did more than that. He was given a small "man" I made out of pipecleaners to fidget with. Often he was asked to sit in a chair a few feet back from the group sitting in a semicircle on the floor. Sometimes he even preferred it. When he was really off task, I had to work hard with him to make sure he knew he was still responsible for his actions. At the same time I did my best to make it as easy as possible for him to achieve that and I constantly went over to him to remind him in various ways what his task was. He was a good kid really. At times it was a lot of work though. I could tell when he walked in the door what kind of day it was going to be from his vocalizations and adjust accordingly. Also he had trouble expressing himself both verbally and in writing when he was struggling. I wasn't as understanding of this until a little late, but he needed more prompts to get him going. He would say that he didn't know ANYTHING about his last weekend. Sometimes I would ask questions and he wouldn't answer. Then I would give silly responses and he would laugh and finally say of course not. Then he would give me an answer. I learned to let him go if he didn't answer during group tasks. I did let him go to the pencil sharpener a number of times if he needed it. One really good trick was telling him that if he finished the first two tasks, then he could visit the class pet. Then he would have to sit down and work on the next couple and so forth. He worked HARD for those class pets. Out of all the students in the class, I could have awarded him class champ zookeeper. So that was something that was used to reward him when other standard ones failed. Many of these won't be applicable to your student. My only point is that you are wise to seek tips but in the long run you have to get to know the student as well. Do a search for practical tips with ADHD students and see what you come up with. Good luck.

6. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 8, 2007

Being an ADD-RT person The best information I can give you is study ADD/ADHD so you know what is going on with this child.
    In a nut shell and overly simplified ADD/ADHD happens when the part of the brain that controls impulse “goes to sleep.” That is why stimulus medications work so well. When I don't take my medicine, I don't have a great day. But because I know how to self medicate (extra caffeine) I can salvage a average day or even a good day.
    • Establish a routine that can be followed.
      If you can find something the child can excel in. Let him/her shine.
    Medication is a 2 edged sward,
    One it allows the student to focus and retain more (an ADDer's memory is like Fine swiss cheese where you have cheese it is delicious where there is no cheese nothing, so is the memory of an ADDer they will remember to a "T" what you said about some things even when you took a breath in the middle of a sentence but will miss maybe 5 mins of a great lesson)
    Two the student may not feel normal (his/her normal)
    The way Medications are administrated and perceived is important.
    Medications are not I repeat are not a crutch nor are they a magic pill.
    Medications are part of a total program which includes behavior Modification, Medical and psychological testing to say a few.

There are many online groups that will gladly help you, just google “ADHD”
    one is CH.A.D.D. (Children and Adults with Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder)
    http://www.chadd.org/AM/CustomPages...N=45239217&jsessionid=f2303448131186560940953

Remember you may be teaching the next Einstein

Although, not all these famous people have been "officially diagnosed," they have exhibited many of the signs of ADD, AD/HD & LD. The point of this list is to inspire those of us who have similar challenges.
    • Albert Einstein
      Galileo
      Mozart
      The Wright Brothers
      Leonardo da Vinci
      Cher
      Bruce Jenner
      Tom Cruise
      Charles Schwab
      Henry Winkler
      Danny Glover
      Walt Disney
      John Lennon
      Greg Louganis
      Winston Churchill
      Henry Ford
      Stephen Hawkings
      Jules Verne
      Alexander Graham Bell
      Woodrow Wilson
      Hans Christian Anderson
      Nelson Rockefeller
      Thomas Edison
      Gen. George Patton
      Agatha Christie
      John F. Kennedy
      Whoopi Goldberg
      Rodin
      Thomas Thoreau
      David H. Murdock
      Dustin Hoffman
      Pete Rose
      Russell White
      Jason Kidd
      Russell Varian
      Robin Williams
      Louis Pasteur
      Werner von Braun
      Dwight D. Eisenhower
      Robert Kennedy
      Luci Baines Johnson Nugent
      George Bush's children
      Prince Charles
      Gen. Westmoreland
      Eddie Rickenbacker
      Gregory Boyington
      Harry Belafonte
      F. Scott Fitzgerald
      Mariel Hemingway
      Steve McQueen
      George C. Scott
      Tom Smothers
      Suzanne Somers
      Lindsay Wagner
      George Bernard Shaw
      Beethoven
      Carl Lewis
      Jackie Stewart
      "Magic" Johnson
      Weyerhauser family
      Wrigley
      John Corcoran
      Sylvester Stallone

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 8, 2007

8. lwteacher

lwteacher Rookie

Aug 29, 2007

I use bumpy tactile seats, koosh balls, straws, whatever works. I have also been told that seeing the color red helps them focus and that if you cover a work surface with it, it will help. I send my ADD kids on lots of errands when I see they are getting antsy. Maybe your little guy can handle taking a note to a teacher across the hall? Other than that, break down the directions even further for him...I have also heard that some kids can concentrate better if they have headphones playing music!

9. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Aug 29, 2007

I agree, taking away recess is a bad strategy for punishment for young children or children with ADD. Movement helps them think.

Think about it this way. You are in a conference or all day course. As an adult, you get wiggly. The instructor tells you that instead of that break to walk around and clear your mind, you are going to sit some more. How motivated are you when the lecture or presentation starts again? Maybe you start texting or talking to your neighbor. I promise, you won't be listening. Now, imagine you are 5 or have a condition such as ADD that you can't control. Walking laps will still be exercise, but not the free choice or peer interaction that the rest of the class will have privelege of.:2cents:

10. synapse

synapse Comrade

Aug 30, 2007

Another point to consider: Kids with ADHD make adults FEEL like they have ADHD. It is the same as the principle of counteraggression (aggressive children elicit aggressive responses from adults). You will need to recognize that this child's brain and body are going 90 miles an hour, often in different directions. You are going to feel this way yourself when dealing with him/her. You must recognize this and slow YOURSELF down so that you can deal with him/her in a thoughtful and therapeutic manner. Work hard not to get caught up in your own "ADHD-like" behavior.