Security for Apartment

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by VANewbie, May 10, 2011.

1. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

May 10, 2011

Anyone have any "creative" alarms for an apartment or know where to get some type of cheap alarm system?

I feel pretty secure where I live but I am a young single female living alone and sometimes at night I get a little scared. :whistle::whistle:
    Not often though! lol

Ive heard of putting bells by your door. I have a dog that will bark but will not necessarily protect me. But thats another issue.

I tried searching online but some of the systems are $250 something I can not afford right now.

Anything you know of?

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 10, 2011

I don't blame you. If I were living alone, which will probably be happening in the next 2-3 yrs for me, I'd want to feel as safe as possible too. What feels like eons ago, I used to have an online business selling self defense products & yes, I actually used to sell stun guns, peper sprays, mace, etc.

My parents' home doesn't have an alarm system, but they have a metal tube that fits exactly in the groove of the sliding glass door, so a thief couldn't just open it quietly. They'd have to mk a lot of noise breaking it if they really wanted to get in & by then, I'd be awakened & mk my next move. They have a sunroom added, so their sliding door doesn't actually face the outdoors anymore.

Also, how about planting some nice, big & low, round cacti by your windows to help deter someone from climbing in.

Do you have mace &/or a stun gun in your nightstand for quick access?

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 10, 2011

LOL, my dog is so harmless & friendly, he'll want the burglar to scratch his belly! He won't bark at a fly either! I know w/ apt living, it's tough to have more than 1 dog. In your own house, you can have the "mean" Neopolitan Mastiff, Doberman, Rottweiler, etc. outdoors & your cute, little froufrou dog indoors. But, I'm sure I'll feel sorry for my big dog & let it stay inside too because I wouldn't want anything to happen to him! :D

6. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

May 10, 2011

Thank for the websites. I will look at those.
    I have no protection. No mace, no bat, no stun gun, no nothing. I can't really plant anything outside my home so that will not work.

Also my apartment is so weird there is a door in my bedroom that leads to the outside and one in my living room and one in my kitchen. I know it sounds really weird but its actually really nice. I just hate the doors in my bedroom. Scary.

7. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 10, 2011

At my dad's, we never had to worry about such things. No need to lock the doors at all. But where my mother lived at one point, my mother found some sort of system necessary when boys I went to school with broke into a neighbor's home, tied a woman up, cut her hair, and stole her money. Just as a sidenote, these were middle school boys. Anyhow, we couldn't afford a real system, so she first used empty coke cans hanging off every window and door which were to wake us if someone attempted to invade the home. Yep, super professional. :) Being that my stepfather worked during the nights and my mother is disabled, she did eventually upgrade to cheap little gadgets...there were two pieces and one would attach to the door and the other the door frame. If the two pieces were separated, a loud alarm would sound. Same idea for the windows. Drawbacks: these are for only when you're in the home, and when the batteries run low they go off randomly and scare the crap out of the entire family.

ETA: While we screwed these in to place, you could easily use removable tape.

8. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

May 10, 2011

Ms. I -I went to the websites but there is so much. Since you used to sell it what do you recommend?

9. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

May 10, 2011

Unless your trained to handle a fire arm, I recommend an aerosol of sorts. And, have them stashed in various places around your home.

When I lived alone, I put tiny windchimes on my doors. They looked good aesthetically and made a lot of noise when the door moved. I got used to having them there so it was not a bother that I "set them off" every time I used the door.

Also, figure out an exit plan from every room in the house. If a window must be broken, have something nearby to break it.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 10, 2011

11. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

May 10, 2011

I used to put one of those Christmas wreaths made out of bells on my front door knob.

12. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

May 10, 2011

I am not worried about anyone coming in my front door. Its the one right next to my bed. Its really lite up out here and all but I still need something. My dog will bark and wake me up or scare someone for the moment. She is not afraid to bark so I would wake up. I guess I need something for protection for me.
    Mace or whatever else is available.
    But there is too much to chose from. I had no idea there was so many different types of maces.

13. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

May 10, 2011

In college I used pop cans with pennies in them placed on door knobs on window frames. 2 or more cans can make a hell of a racket.
    The door alarms are great I used one in my class room on a door that kids would try to sneak out of.

Now I use the firm of "Smith and Wesson" and my DeeOhGee (D O G) who thinks the walks outside my apartment belong to her. I have one blank in the chamber and since I have been taught to "triple tap" I know 3 shots will send 2 bullets at the intruder (the reason for a blank is I have never heard of someone being accidentally shot multiple times, so if some fool or a child can get the lock off the gun, the bang of the blank will stop all the action)

14. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

May 10, 2011

My mom keeps a pair of scissors between the mattress and the box spring.

15. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

May 10, 2011

16. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

May 10, 2011

:(
    Don't show me that!!

17. Major

Major Connoisseur

May 10, 2011

VANewbie, sorry but you should be worried/concerned about your front door. There are products which make entry into your apartment a bit more difficult........ but not impossible.

In my humble opinion you do need something to protect you from the bad guy ....... ok the rapist who might rape you and then kill you.....

I know most on this forum will be PO'd at me for saying that.... but it does happen... frequently..... For me I can't imagine a single woman not having a handgun........ and KNOWING exactly how to use it........ If handguns don't work for you then consider mace and an aluminum baseball bat....... Just don't depend on your being able to talk the thug out of harming you.......

I'll stop now ....... Just be safe...... Major.........:hugs:

18. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

May 10, 2011

No Major your right. A few years ago I wanted to learn how to use one but I think I would be so afraid to use it.

the reason I am not worried about my front door is because it is secured access to even get inside the building. the front door is pretty sturdy and its well lit up. Seriously I am not worried about that. Now the one in my room is all glass. :(

19. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 10, 2011

If it will take a $250 alarm system to make you feel safe, break out the Visa and get it tomorrow.

$250 won't put you in debt forever; you'll have it paid off in no time. And the abilty to feel safe in your own home is well worth 10 times that.

But don't get it online. Go to a brick and mortar store, see what it is you're buying, and how it works. Talk to local law enforcement and get their opinon.

Do you know your neighbors? Can you put one of them on speed dial with the phone that's next to your bed, with the understanding that if you ever call and don't speak, they're to call 911 and get there ASAP. Being part of a community that's looking out for each other is probably the world's best protection.

20. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 10, 2011

You're welcome, yes, there's a LOT out there. I haven't personally looked through these particular sites yet, but I'll get back to you soon (or PM you). I'm reading/studying in btwn posting here.

Yikes about the lock pick! :eek::mad: Well, now some people just learned something they may have not thought of. Now, we see how easy it is out there from the bad guys' perspective! Why the hell would they sell that on the same site as protective items?! We all know what someone's up to who'll buy that!

21. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 10, 2011

I totally agree. It's so worth it! Long ago, I took a self defense class & if I hadn't ruptured my Achilles tendon a few yrs ago, I'd be working toward my blk belt in karate, jujitsu, etc. Hey! Women (especially) almost have to these days, these are scary, crazy times! :(

Just out of curiosity, how long have you lived in this apt & when you were looking for apts, did you think about how the door in the bedroom will feel scary to you later down the road? I'm such a huge planner, I'd be thinking of 10-20 steps down the road.

22. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

May 10, 2011

Ms. I- When I came to see the apartment is was so nice and I though oh cool. I can sit on my deck and have the bedroom door open. My dog can come in and out. I liked it. And in the day I love it...but at night!!!! thats another problem.

Alice- So sad but this is why I need a summer job. I can't even afford to put the $250 on my card. Do not know if I even have enough on there. :(
    Don't worry the limit is not like 5,000. lol

23. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

May 10, 2011

Oh yes, I have lived here over a year. I love it. Safe neighborhood and town and apartment complex. Nice people. Bright lights at night but sometimes after watching Lifetime movies (lol) or seeing stuff on the news I get a little worried.
    Its not like I am up all night every night. Its just every now and then.

24. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 10, 2011

25. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

May 10, 2011

My dog has a very low, scary, intimidating bark so that's all the security I need for now. I am lucky to live in a really safe area though.

26. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 10, 2011

The go to the bank and get a personal loan. Or get your credit limit increased by $300. Or call your parents, your brother, your college roommate. All would be heartbroken if they knew that $250 would make enough of a difference in your safety that it would enable you to sleep at night.

27. lnm130

lnm130 Companion

May 10, 2011

I am moving out in July from my dads and moving in with my boyfriend. While we are moving to a very safe area, there are always creepers out there! I am investing in the window alarms for sure. I carry mase on my keys.

Last year, my dad bought me a gun for Christmas. I have been through the concealed carry course, but never got my permit. I wouldn't be comfortable carrying on my body, but in my apartment, no problem.I have a t-shirt that says 'I shoot like a girl' lol

And Dave, I love love love this:

28. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

May 10, 2011

Alice- I will see what I can do.

29. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 10, 2011

Do, please!

30. Blue

Blue Aficionado

May 10, 2011

Go to Radio Shack. I got an alarm for about $20 there.

31. Major

Major Connoisseur

May 10, 2011

Practice, Practice, Practice .......... It just might save your life.......:)

32. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

May 10, 2011

I was robbed at gunpoint many years ago, and went to extreme measures to protect my house. When I say extreme, I actually mean "crazy". I went through a period when I was too scared to be outdoors at night, so I would never take the garbage out. I piled it in front of my doors so it was hard to open them. I also used to lay heavy mirrors against the doors. I had nightmares about being shot for years so I never got a gun, even though I wanted to. I'm very fortunate that the scared feeling has passed, and I only use locks now. I feel very safe where I live.

33. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 10, 2011

Kat53, I'm so sorry. No one should have to go through that. I'm glad you're feeling better.

I think the thing for ALL of us to remember is to never think that something will never happen to us. I live in a very safe area, but I'd never leave my doors unlocked, although I'm sure I could w/o anything happening. The neighborhood I live in has homes w/ gates before one actually comes up to the front door. We put a lock on our gate, which makes us feel secure.

34. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

May 10, 2011

When I lived in an apartment, my dad got me a thing that looked like a broom handle but was designed to brace under the door knob. I'd get one for all of your doors. He got it at a hardware store.

I also had little pins in the windows and sliding glass door.

35. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

May 10, 2011

36. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

May 10, 2011

Thanks. I gave the edited version. I could share MANY more stories about how extreme I was about my personal safety, but that would take pages! :)
    Good advice in your second paragraph.

37. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

May 10, 2011

Love it! I wish I would have fought back, but that would have been a bad idea at the time.

38. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jun 30, 2011

I started thinking about this thread last night. I'm looking at things to purchase now.

39. old_School

old_School Rookie

Jun 30, 2011

I recomend Martial Arts and not Karate. I recomend a more focussed discipline or something more focussed on breaking bones and killing. also recomend a dog. German Shepherds our great pets and very protective. Also note the security is often a investment in your self and life. Don't cheapout of your self, invest a fair amount of money. If all else fails, a good BF only costs one or two meals a day lol

40. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 30, 2011

I live in the country. It's dark, and I have four doors to the outside and two windows that are low enough to step through. I am also a deep sleeper and can't see anything without my glasses.

I bought pepper spray, but I also have a gun. I have had it for almost 20 years, and I have taken classes in how to use it.

Mainly I rely on deadbolt locks and window locks.

Now that I have a big dog in the house, I'm sure that will help. She has a big bark. The neighbors also have a big dog who runs loose.

41. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 30, 2011

My mom has 8 doors to the outside. She has throw rugs in front of the doors she doesn't use. You cannot get the doors open with them there. Cheap and effective.