Security Devices Always Beep

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by MissH225, Jul 5, 2009.

1. MissH225

MissH225 Comrade

Jul 5, 2009

Ok this may sound really silly but every time I go through one of those security devices it goes off. Even when I'm entering the store. It's getting kind of ridiculous and semi embarrassing. The weird thing is a few weeks ago it was doing this and I took out a library card I had just got, and that stopped it. But now it's happening again. I even went into the store with just my cell, car keys and wallet and it didn't set if off when I went in but did on the way out.Ahhhh!!

Anyone had this happen to them? What could it be? I've had my wallet/keys/cell forever and this just happened recently.

3. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 5, 2009

That is odd. Any chance your purse still has the security device in it somewhere?

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 5, 2009

I wish I knew the answer--this has happened to me twice in the past couple of weeks--both times at Staples. The only thing I had with me was my wallet and my keys.

5. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 5, 2009

I have had numerous times in my life when that's happened and there was never any reason. I know it's very humiliating even if they wave you through because you feel paranoid about going through store doors after a while. It starts to mess with your head man!!

6. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 5, 2009

weird. I know when I was in college, my card that I scanned to get into the building would always set them off. Did you get any kind of new card recently? Store card or something?

7. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jul 5, 2009

Maybe you have multiple personality disorder where one of your personalities is a kleptomaniac.

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 5, 2009

Hmmm...that would explain a lot. Now if I could only get that personality to tell me where the "loot" is hidden!:lol:

9. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jul 5, 2009

just add her as a friend on Facebook and check status updates for clues regularly...

10. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Jul 5, 2009

If I have my camera in my purse, it will set it off every time.
    You are right--they are so embarrassing. Does it happen at all stores or just one in particular?

11. MissH225

MissH225 Comrade

Jul 5, 2009

Well today it did it when I left Target but not when I walked in. Then I went to one CVS and it didn't go off either time. Then I went to another CVS and it went off when I went in again.

I took out the library card I recently got and that stopped it but now it's doing it again. I took just my wallet and keys in and it still did it!!

It's getting ridic and you're right it's starting to make me paranoid. I try to walk in/out with other ppl just so we can all look at each other and be like who set it off?:p

For the record tho the ppl at the store always just say oh don't worry about it. Good thing I'm not really trying to steal something hahaha

12. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 5, 2009

My iPod shuffle will often times trigger the alarm. You don't have any kind of device in your purse (a cell phone even) that you think might be doing it?

13. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 6, 2009

:lol:I remember walking in with a small crowd just to prepare for that dreaded sound! It' true. You can look at one of the people and shrug like "hmm..wonder who set that off?" LOL
    It's absolutely does make your life inconvenient because you sometimes wonder if it's worth the embarrassment to run in and get something. :blush:

14. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 6, 2009

This was several years ago -- but for about 2 months, I set off every alarm, and couldn't figure out why, for the life of me.

You are right, it is quite embarrassing.

It turned out that my metal cane had a device stuck inside of it -- use to prevent people from just picking up a cane in a store and walking out with it as if it is their own. Now, I ordered mine through my online disability aides service -- so I just never expected that. I'd like to say I'm the one who figured it out, but it was actually the teen worker from the Radio Shack. Go figure.

The only other thing I can think of (did this once too) is "Are you sure you took the little plastic piece off the back of your bra when you bought it?: They put these little plastic tags looped to the hook-catch on the back in many stores, and if you don't realize they are there are cut them off, they will set off every alarm.

15. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Jul 6, 2009

A fellow teacher and myself set off the alarm when leaving a store once (who knows why). We got stopped by one of the clerks who started quizzing us. I think we both gave her the "eye", she started stammering and apologizing.

16. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jul 6, 2009

This happened to me many times before I realized it was my clothes. Several stores (Banana Republic, Anne Taylor) sew a security device in their clothes. It's like a long, rectangular tag. You're supposed to cut them out but that never occurred to me until I kept setting off alarms!

17. MissH225

MissH225 Comrade

Jul 6, 2009

That's funny you mentioned the bra thing b/c that crossed my mind. Recently I started wearing this bra that was lost in the laundry forever. Maybe that's it....guess I could try going to the store today since I'm wearing a different bra and see if it does it. HAHAHA:D

18. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Jul 6, 2009

I went through a phase (about 2 months) where it happened to me everytime I went into certain stores. I also didn't carry anything but it still happened. I started to think that someone had drugged me and inserted something in me to make it beep:)

But seriously, I never found out what it was. One day it just stopped. Looking back, it must have been my clothes. I never cut that tag off!

19. KinderMissN

KinderMissN Companion

Jul 6, 2009

Sometimes, purse stores slip the sensors into the pockets of their handbags or wallets. Check those as well!