secret to passing the RICA?

Discussion in 'Other Tests' started by littlemama, Mar 26, 2004.

1. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 17, 2017

Skipping straight to presentation would be fine. Not sure I'd bother labeling it as "presentation", though if that helps you structure your response, go for it.

SPH_Teacher likes this.
  2. SPH_Teacher

SPH_Teacher Rookie

Jan 17, 2017

I use the labeling so that the rater see's that I know the model; hopefully for a few points. At least in my head. :praying:

3. newbie808

newbie808 Rookie

Jan 18, 2017

Hello...best of luck SPH Teacher...I have been following this thread and I feel your pain and feel your agony. I have passed my CBEST and multi-subject CSET the first time around so I was crushed when I did not pass my RICA ( I got a 212). I originally used Zarrillo Ready for the RICA and Teacher Test Prep. which I am guessing did not prepare me enough. I am hoping by adding in Distanceprep videos, Cliffnotes RICA , and Teaching Solutions that may fill in the 8 point gap that I need. I received a score of:
    Domain 1-+++
    2-++
    3-++
    4-++
    5-+++
    Case Study-++ *describe instructional strategies and/or activities.
    Currently the only thing that is standing in the way of applying for credentials is passing the RICA. Any input would be greatly appreciated. :(

SPH_Teacher likes this.
  4. SPH_Teacher

SPH_Teacher Rookie

Jan 18, 2017

What really helped me is the youtube RICA videos. I was missing it by like 20 points prior to watching those videos. They go along with worksheets provided by a link on the videos (Distanceprep).

I'm focusing on Word Analysis, Comprehension, and Vocab Domains.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 18, 2017

Put more effort into deploying teacher terminology that's specific to reading.

SPH_Teacher likes this.
  6. SPH_Teacher

SPH_Teacher Rookie

Jan 18, 2017

I know there is a list online with specific terminology for each domain. I'll try looking for it and see if you think its correct.

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 18, 2017

Hugs, newbie.

Domain 2, Word Analysis, accounts for 1/3 of multiple choice points and lots of questions. Experience suggests that most people who struggle with word analysis aren't clear on what it covers. They may not fully understand how phonemic awareness differs from phonological awareness and how both differ from phonics, and they tend to struggle with the terminology.

In RICA terms, what can you tell me about the word "scratches"?

8. SPH_Teacher

SPH_Teacher Rookie

Jan 18, 2017

Ok. I'm not sure if I can post this link here but,
    http://www.mtsac.edu/instruction/teacherprep/documents/RICAtestTakingStrategiesCSULA.pdf

There is a section with terms (page 10).

9. newbie808

newbie808 Rookie

Jan 18, 2017

Hello, as far as the word "scratches" it is an R-controlled vowel word. I want to say it is phonetically irregular because it does not follow the typical word patterns (CVC, CVCC, etc.). During reading instruction I would present a spelling lesson that would group "sc" words together (it could be the lesson objective)incorporating activities with word sorts or picture cards. If it was in a small reading group setting, I would have students use context clues to decipher the word (s) that begin with "sc". I hope that is at least a little of what you are looking for =/???

SPH_Teacher likes this.
  10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 19, 2017

Hugs, newbie. Now I see why you're not passing.

In what follows, I'm being an overachiever. Breathe, please.

An R-controlled vowel is a vowel FOLLOWED by R. Compare the words "bask" and "bark". The word "bask" is a closed syllable - it ends in a consonant blend; we therefore expect a nice short A, and that's what we get. The word "bark" also ends with a consonant blend, but instead of that short A, we get... something else. The same thing happens with E (pest/pert), I, (shift/shirt), O (shot/short), and U (luck/lurk).

("L-controlled vowel" is also a thing: talk, folk, sulk).

"Scratches" has two syllables. The first syllable has an onset that consists of three distinct consonants /s k r/ and a rime that consists of a vowel and the same single consonant sound that we hear at the beginning of the word "check". "Scratches" is stressed on the first syllable (that is, we don't pronounce it scratch-ES). The three consonants together at the beginning of "scratches" can be called a blend. All these are facts about phonological awareness, which covers everything having to do with the way a word or a phrase or a clause or a sentence sounds.

"Scratches" consists of the phonemes s, k, r, short a, "ch", schwa, and z. A phoneme isn't technically a sound, exactly, but in reading instruction that's more or less what "phoneme" means. Sounding "scratches" out phoneme by phoneme shows phonemic awareness, which is literally "awareness of phonemes". So does identifying the first sound as /s/, or pulling together (blending) that sequence of sounds and recognizing it as the word "scratches". (I wish I could use IPA symbols here, but they'd probably confuse you.) Phonemic awareness is a special case of phonological awareness.

"Scratches" can be broken into two morphemes: a root "scratch" and a suffix "-es", which marks third person singular present if we're dealing with a verb or plural if we're dealing with a noun. "Scratches" tends not to have a prefix, but many words do have one or even more than one. Teachers call this kind of analysis structural analysis, though I prefer the linguistics term morphology.

English spells the first three sounds of "scratches" <scr> rather than <skr>. That's a fact about phonics, which has to do with correspondences between letters and phonemes. The sound after the vowel in the first syllable of "scratches" is spelled <tch>; if I'm being literal, I'll call it a trigraph, but we're all better off if I point out that the <ch> at the beginning of "check" is a digraph, which means that two letters write one single sound. Vowel digraphs are also possible, as in "scream". "Scratches" is fairly regular phonically: <scr> IS the standard spelling of that blend, <tch> is a fairly standard spelling of the "ch" sound at the end of a syllable (match, hatch, fetch, botch), and since "scratch" is a closed syllable (ends with one or more consonants and no silent "e"), the expected pronunciation for the <a> is short a and not something else.

You listed some useful activities, though let me give you a test-taker tip for free: Make a big deal of what the question makes a big deal of, and do less with what it doesn't ask you for. I asked you to tell me about a word; that isn't necessarily asking you how to teach it.

SPH_Teacher likes this.
  11. SPH_Teacher

SPH_Teacher Rookie

Jan 19, 2017

So breaking down the word into different phonics rules? or is it phonics generalizations?

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 19, 2017

Phonics rules ARE phonics generalizations: use either term. But please don't confuse phonics with either phonemic awareness or phonological awareness.

SPH_Teacher likes this.
  13. SPH_Teacher

SPH_Teacher Rookie

Jan 19, 2017

Phonological Awareness has to do with onset & rime, syllable, rhymes, and words in sentences. Also includes, phonemic awareness; individual sounds, blending sounds, and segmenting sounds.

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 20, 2017

Okay, and my point is that a word can be analyzed in terms of

- phonological awareness
    - phonemic awareness
    - phonics
    - morphology or structural analysis
    - semantics or meaning
    - syntax or part of speech

In a given RICA question, not all of those concepts may be in play - but the chances are good that some of them will be.

SPH_Teacher likes this.
  15. Got2Teach

Got2Teach Rookie

Jan 25, 2017

I am happy, thrilled, excited, overjoyed, and delighted to report that I took the RICA on 31 December 2016 and I passed the FIRST TIME! I owe this all to God; I could not, could not, could not, could not have done it without Him. My story is a wonderful testimony on faith and standing on God's promises. Advice that I can offer RICA test takers: (1) pray, pray, pray, (2) read, reread, then reread again Zarrillo's book, (3) read, reread, then reread again Bobrow's book, (4) complete the practice test on the website over and over again, (5) complete the practice test in Bobrow's book over and over again, (6) watch and take notes on Dr. Boosalis (spelling) videos and study those notes! Passing the FIRST time is definitely DOABLE! Amen! I wish all RICA test takers (and CSET test takers) the very best in preparation for these exams. Delay gratification! Study hard! Remain disciplined! Keep the faith! God Bless!

SPH_Teacher likes this.
  16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 26, 2017

Congratulations, Got2Teach! Do bear in mind, please, that God couldn't have worked this in you without your cooperation and hard work. Nobody every passed one of these tests solely on prayer and luck.

SPH_Teacher likes this.
  17. Teacher2688

Teacher2688 Rookie

Feb 9, 2017

Dose any one have any good study guides? I have the revised RICA book, and I honestly thought it was great but i think i need some more material. Please and thank you

SPH_Teacher likes this.
  18. Teacher2688

Teacher2688 Rookie

Feb 9, 2017

Has anyone used EXAM Edge for RICA practice test? and if so, did they help and are they realistic to the test?

SPH_Teacher likes this.
  19. kmk91

kmk91 Guest

Feb 22, 2017

Hello! I'm new to this forum and I'm really hoping I can find some help.

I could REALLY use some guidance. I just found out today that I did not pass the RICA today for the second time. I am in my first student teaching assignment. I finish my second in May. If I do not pass the RICA on my next try it will prolong the credential process and I will have to give up a summer school job I was hired for dependent on getting my credential. I am at a loss for what to study after the second time failing. I have the RICA Cliff Notes book and the Zarillo book. I felt like I really nailed it the second time. However, my first score was a 215 and my second was only one point higher at 216. I'm feeling really discouraged. Any and all help would be appreciated!

Breakdown from RICA SECOND TRY:
    1: Planning, Organizing, & Managing Reading Instr. Based on Ongoing Assessment +++
    2: Word Analysis ++
    3: Fluency ++
    4: Vocabulary, Academic Language, and Background Knowledge ++
    5: Comprehension +++

*Case Study +
    Describing instructional strategies and/or activities
    Identifying the student’s reading strengths and/or needs

Breakdown from RICA FIRST TRY:
    1: Planning, Organizing, & Managing Reading Instr. Based on Ongoing Assessment +++
    2: Word Analysis +
    3: Fluency ++
    4: Vocabulary, Academic Language, and Background Knowledge +++

*Case Study ++
    Describing instructional strategies and/or activities

Thank you!

SPH_Teacher likes this.
  20. SPH_Teacher

SPH_Teacher Rookie

Feb 23, 2017

I finally passed the RICA!!!! Thank you @TeacherGroupie for all your advice!:D
    The admin and district are saying I can go back to my class that I was at for 3 years!!!

21. SPH_Teacher

SPH_Teacher Rookie

Feb 23, 2017

Ok you're there just study up on Word analysis.

Heres my passing marks.
    2: Word Analysis +++
    3: Fluency +++
    4: Vocabulary, Academic Language, and Background Knowledge ++

and Case Study was ++ (also ran out of time and didn't finish writing the benefit of 2nd strategy!)

I studied hard using the RICA revised for teaching strategies and implementation.
    Also the best one was the Boosalis youtube videos and the worksheets that go with it. This specially helped me for the fluency and word analysis section!

22. SPH_Teacher

SPH_Teacher Rookie

Feb 23, 2017

This was my 11th attempt on the RICA, and I teach Severe & Profound Handicap students. Most, if not all, of the material in the RICA is not used in my class. So don't be discouraged
    LINK to boosalis video; watch all the videos!

Link to the Worksheets for the Videos! THIS HELPED ME THE MOST!!!! He goes through everything as you take notes.
    https://github.com/cboosalis/RICA

@Teacher2688 @newbie808

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
    Teacher2688 and Wonderwoman922 like this.
  23. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 23, 2017

SPH_Teacher, I'm thrilled for you! Congratulations!

SPH_Teacher likes this.
  24. Feb 25, 2017

I just wanted to show my appreciation for this forum! I PASSED the first time! Praise goes to God for the perseverance! Here's what to do: Cliff Notes on the RICA was the most helpful, New Revised Rica was also helpful, Youtube Boosalis guy was helpful if you struggle with word analysis, Kinzer book on word analysis is helpful (it has fill-in the blank style not helpful, but it's great for all the terms and has case studies. I spent the most time in Cliff Notes and New Revised Rica. I watched all of Boosalis' videos twice and looked and the worksheet links and I did the practice test from RICA website and the ones in cliff notes. I had a course in reading instruction through regular cred program, student taught in 4th, 5th & ELD and currently teach 3rd grade. Looking back, if you had limited resources I would say the Cliff notes is your best bet (and Boosalis is free on youtube but takes hours and in my opinion is overkill as far as just RICA prep, great resource though in general). I had 2 fours (prep and comprehension) and the rest 3's. Good luck to you all, and thank you all for your resources and feedback! I created an account just to be able to thank you guys!!!

SPH_Teacher likes this.
  25. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 25, 2017

Congratulations, Thrilledin3rd!!

SPH_Teacher likes this.
  26. CrossFitKayla

CrossFitKayla New Member

Mar 22, 2017

I know this thread is old, but I thought I would give this a shot. Also I wanted to mention that I am very new to this website, so I am still trying to navigate my way though it. I was just wanting some tips on the RICA. I have taken it twice. My first score was 217 and my second score was 219. If someone has the time, please look over my attached scores and help me focus in on what I should study. I realize I need to study word analysis, so if anyone has some tips on where to study that at please let me know. I do have the Cliff Notes book as well as the Ready for RICA book. Which competencies should I focus on as well. Thank you for your time!
    First test... (217)
    Planning, organizing +++
    Word Analysis ++
    Fluency +++
    Vocabulary ++
    Comprehension ++
    Case Study +++

Second Test (219)
    Planning, organizing ++++
    Word analysis ++
    Fluency ++
    Vocab ++
    Comprehension +++
    Case study ++

27. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 23, 2017

Welcome to A to Z, CrossFitKayla.

You brought your score in domain 5, comprehension, up by one plus mark: that's good, since comprehension is a pretty big deal. But, yes: domain 2, word analysis, is A Great Big Deal on this test.

Suppose you tell me what sorts of things you think "word analysis" covers, when it comes to reading and reading instruction.

28. CrossFitKayla

CrossFitKayla New Member

Mar 23, 2017

Thank you so much for responding! From my understanding, word analysis, when it comes to reading has to do with students being able to understand that speech sounds are represented by letters, their understanding of affixes meaning they understand blends and can recognize root words. It also has to do with their word awareness and syllable awareness. To teach word analysis, specifically phonological awareness in reading instruction the students will focus on sound isolation, identitiy, blending, substitution, deletion and segmenting. For word awareness students will focus on understanding that sentences are made up of words which requires students to detect word boundaries. I am aware that I didn't list everything that has to do with word analysis, but this is what is off the top of my head. Please let me know if I am completely wrong in my understanding. Thank you!

29. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 23, 2017

Word analysis covers the ways in which a word - heard, spoken, read, or written - can be broken down into smaller units, and the study of those units. I'm seeing some good technical terms, but you need to be using more, and you need to be using them as the insiders' jargon that they are.

Picking words out of spoken sentences calls on phonological awareness, as does picking syllables out of words (and picking onsets and rimes out of syllables). Picking phrases out of sentences also belongs to phonological awareness: the part of phonological awareness that we call prosody, which generally covers intonational contours, stressing of syllables in words, and the like.

Your "sound isolation, identity (you meant "identification"), blending, substitution, deletion, and segmenting" belong to phonemic awareness, which is literally awareness of phonemes one by one. If it thus seems to you that phonemic awareness must therefore be a special kind of phonological awareness, you're right. Here's the level at which we're dealing with diphthongs and phonemic blends.

Awareness of roots and affixes belongs to structural analysis (I prefer the linguistic term morphology, but I wasn't consulted). This includes the various pronunciations of plural -s and past tense -ed, so obviously it begins well before children learn to read.

"Being able to understand that speech sounds are represented by letters" is a slow way to refer to graphophonemic correspondences or sound-symbol correspondences. The realization that a given grapheme ('way to write a sound') generally maps onto one sound (or at most a few related sounds) is the alphabetic principle. Here we're in the realm of phonics, here is where we deal with digraphs, and here is where both decoding and spelling belong.

30. CrossFitKayla

CrossFitKayla New Member

Mar 23, 2017

Thank you so much!! I was just wondering, do you do any online tutoring?

31. clarkn1

clarkn1 Guest

Mar 24, 2017

Hello all. I have about had it with this test. I have taken it twice and literally studied as much as I could have done. I have done the RICA cliff notes book, ready for revised RICA, online videos, and took the prep course through teachers test prep.

The first time I took it I got:
    (Score 205)
    Domain 1: +
    Domain 2: ++
    Domain 3: ++
    Domain 4: ++
    Domain 5: +++
    Case Study: ++
    Notes:
    Describe Instructional strategies and or activities
    Explain how the strategies and/ or activities promote reading proficiency

The second time I took it my score went down :(
    (Score 199)
    Domain 1: +
    Domain 2: +
    Domain 3: ++
    Domain 4: +++
    Domain 5: +++
    Case Study: ++
    Notes:
    Describe Instructional strategies and or activities

I need to pass this test so I can start my teaching career. How do I keep getting a one plus in domain 1? I am done with all my requirements for my credential but this horrible test. I went in confident. I am planning to start from scratch in my studying to start fresh. Should I focus on the domains I am weak in the most? I just need a small bump in the first three domains to pass this test. Domain 1 is not covered in the four smaller essays and only in the multiple choice from my understanding?Any advice would be appreciated... Certainly been encouraging to read all you posts and know I am not the only one having issues with this test.

32. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 24, 2017

Hugs, clarkn1.

Domain 1 centers on reading instruction overall: planning, organizing, managing, assessing. It doesn't have its own constructed response, but it is a vital element in the case study. (Deciphering the clues in the artifacts IS assessment; deciding what they mean and what to do about them IS planning/organizing/managing instruction.)

The constructed responses together comprise 50% of available scaled points; the case study = 20%, domain 2 = 10%, domain 5 = 10%, domain 3 = 5%, and domain 4 = 5%.

The other 50% is multiple choice; proportions are a little less fixed (that is, some versions of the test may have fewer questions in a given domain and make up for it elsewhere) but a fairly usual distribution has domain 2 at 16.5%, domain 4 at 11.5%, domain 1 at 10%, domain 5 at 7%, and domain 3 at 5%.

It follows that domain 2 can account for as much as 26.5% (10% + 16.5%) of total available points in the test. That's a huge chunk - and that domain is word analysis, so it's well worth working on.

33. Wonderwoman922

Wonderwoman922 Rookie

Mar 27, 2017

Hi Can you email me
    How can i get the study guide. ? thank you

34. Wonderwoman922

Wonderwoman922 Rookie

Mar 27, 2017

Hi Can i get your study guide please. Im not sure how to PM you

Thank you so much for the RICA

35. MSETeacher

MSETeacher Guest

Apr 5, 2017

Hello all...I'm now on my 6th time....went down on my score by 12 points and just got my test scores today...I'm getting really discouraged at this point....it's kind of rediculous....any help will be greatly appreciated.....I was 216 and now 204

I've worked with my faculty, have the Zarillo book and prepped with the prep class....I'm now watching the videos....I am signing up for may 7th....

36. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 6, 2017

Hugs, MSETeacher. What diagnostics are you seeing on your score reports?

37. Sharif Jabsheh

Sharif Jabsheh New Member

Apr 6, 2017

I feeling defeated
    I have used chris booslais video
    I have read zarillo book
    I have also signed up with teacher test prep

I have took the test 4 times I am on Intern status and I need to pass to move on.

Passing Status: Not Pass

Total Score: 204

Minimum Passing Score: 220

Score Range: 100-300

Domain

2: Word Analysis++

3:Fluency++

4: Vocabulary, Academic Language, and Background Knowledge +

5: Comprehension++

Case Study (Domains 1, 2, 3, 4, 5) +++

At this point I don't know what to do

38. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 6, 2017

Hugs, Sharif Jabsheh. It's unusual to see a strong score on the case study - three pluses - combining with the low scores in all but one of the individual domains. This makes me think that your issue might be test taking skills. How easily did you pass CBEST?

39. Sharif Jabsheh

Sharif Jabsheh New Member

Apr 6, 2017

I passed the cbest math easily but I struggled on the reading comprehension. I think I am struggling with the multiple choice questions that is what it seems like.

40. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 6, 2017

I thought it might be like that, Sharif. Let me suggest working through a book published by LearningExpress: Reading Comprehension Success in 20 Minutes a Day. The book's practice exercises are multiple choice questions, and the answers are all explained. It should be easy to find - bookstores carry it, libraries have it, and copies of earlier editions are doubtless available all over the internet. If you prefer, work through Reasoning Skills Success in 20 Minutes a Day (the focus is more on reasoning than on reading comprehension per se), or you could even do both.