secret to passing the RICA?

Discussion in 'Other Tests' started by littlemama, Mar 26, 2004.

1. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 19, 2015

Your certainty that the test makers and scorers are arrant liars doesn't bode well for your success, I'm afraid.

2. donberto17

donberto17 New Member

Jul 10, 2015

Taking the RICA in July

Hello, I am taking my RICA on July 21st and am looking for any help I can get. I have the Ready for the Revised RICA 3rd edition. I am going to do my practice test tonight cold with no studying. I expect a disaster and it will give me a taste of the upcoming test. Any study materials/videos would be most helpful. It is not allowing me to PM anyone. Also if anyone can give me a link to some vocab so I can make some flash cards that would be helpful.

A little bit about myself. I am 33 and finished my Student Teaching. I do well on tests as long as I understand them. I have been told the RICA is a whole different beast and I have read many reviews on the tests. This will be my first attempt at the RICA and I am hoping to pass. :):thanks:

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 10, 2015

California's English/language arts content standards and frameworks documents are a good place to start: you can find both at www.cde.ca.gov, and there should be a link on the home page. You might also check your reading-instruction methodology textbooks for glossaries.

The privilege to initiate PMs isn't available until one has made a handful of posts and thus convinced the system software that one isn't here to prey.

4. SDCTeacher13

SDCTeacher13 New Member

Jul 30, 2015

When I first took the RICA in May I did not pass by 24 points.

Here is the breakdown of my first test:

Domain 1: ++
    Domain 2: ++
    Domain 3: +++
    Domain 4: ++
    Domain 5: +

Case Study: +

Needless to say I was bummed by it!

I just found out yesterday that I PASSED the assessment I took in early July!

The two things I used to study was James Zarillo's "Read for Revised RICA" and Chris Boosalis's YouTube videos. My score report was:

Domain 1: +++
    Domain 2: +++
    Domain 4: ++++
    Domain 5: +++

Case Study: ++

I had a feeling my case study response was not up to par, but I still passed! Anyways, my advice to everyone is to study, study, and study some more. The two resources I used helped me tremendously! Take lots of notes and read them over and over.

I found this particular forum after I did not pass the first time and I understand how most people feel. But, the RICA is a test I think every teacher should take. Anyways, to those of you struggling; remain positive and know that this test can be passed.

5. donberto17

donberto17 New Member

Aug 12, 2015

RICA Results IN!!

I received my Results today.

Domain 1: ++++
    Domain 2: +++
    Domain 4: ++
    Domain 5: +++

Case Study +++

Needless to say I passed. I want to give a huge heartfelt thank you to all those that helped me. My brain is so fried and I am so emotional over passing. This was my first attempt. I would recommend James Zarillo's "Read for Revised RICA" to study with. I also used youtube and watched ALL the Rica Videos from Distanceprep add a dot com to the end of the name. Be very mindful of your time and have a test taking strategy before you go inside. I did complete my test out of order in order to maximize my time.

6. juicerey

juicerey New Member

Aug 24, 2015

Just joined today and I am in need of any material that anyone feels will help pass the RICA. Currently trying to finish up my SpEd credential and the last hurdle is this test. Any help will be greatly appreciated thanks.

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 24, 2015

What population are you working with, juicerey?

8. SET26

SET26 New Member

Aug 25, 2015

I'm preparing to take the RICA and need all the pointers I can get. I would appreciate receiving your notes. I tried to email you, but since I'm new to this website I don't have permission yet. I'm not sure how to contact you.

9. juicerey

juicerey New Member

Aug 25, 2015

Secondary mild/moderate

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 25, 2015

Secondary mild/mod? Then you've seen RICA issues by the dozen working with these kids. Use them as your study examples: as you work on a particular bit of RICA technical terminology, rummage through your memory for an example from your own experience.

11. Samaran

Samaran New Member

Oct 27, 2015

Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
  12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 27, 2015

Taking the test in May, and you're already nervous in October? Hugs.

Are you in a credential program at present, or coming in from out of state, or what?

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 27, 2015

Forum members are reminded not to include their email addresses in public posts.

14. Rg-chrono

Rg-chrono Rookie

Nov 4, 2015

The racist RICA test beat me again -_- I studied for 3 weeks straight this time, along with the previous months of reading the guides on and off. Read all of the guides recommended on here, watched all of the RICA videos by Distanceprep too..and I am still short!! my score went up... 207, vs 201, the score of 201 I got the last time I took it. I felt that his time I was a lot more prepared compared to the last time I took it...this was the one exam I needed to apply to the CENTSE LAUSD program for Winter 2015. I am so crushed right now....I feel really down, but I did my best...I really did... do not even know how I got a 2 on fluency this time..when I got a 3 the last time I took it O_O I even got a 3 on one of the higher level domains in it, Domain 4: 23% ....this really depressed me.

Total score 207

Domain
    1 ++
    2 ++
    3 ++
    4 +++
    5 +++

Case study
    ++

I am still falling short from my case study..and I do not understand what on earth they meant by "
    Describing instructional strategies and/or activities"

I did described instructional strategies and activities...I clearly did..this time I did it the way the videos and guides said to do so..I even made it to 850 words..because I wanted to be a lot clearer with my strategies. The activities were pretty clear for all essays and for the case study: I even gave them 2 weaknesses and 2 strengths the child on the case study had, based on the demo work samples..

I still see this test as being so racist, but ! I have to pass it...I didn't want to get to a 3rd time taking it..it is costing me money and stress... I have to spend another $175 to take it again. Odds are I will have to do what I didn't want to do, join a RICA prep class -_- Good luck to all of us who are trying to get through this horrible test. Like another poster said..this test can be defeated and pass. IT just feels like it is a nightmare getting through it.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
  15. Rg-chrono

Rg-chrono Rookie

Nov 4, 2015

Read all of the previous posts. They are of great help! ^_^ Also! take a test prep course. I know that it sounds like it is a lot of money, but the test prep courses should be the last option.

16. Katiewantstobeateacher

Katiewantstobeateacher Rookie

Nov 13, 2015

Hi everyone,
    I have taken the RICA twice, first missed it by 5 points, and then 6 points. I'm very frustrated! I graduated from the multiple subject program in May and have studied, and I can't figure out what my problem is! I could really use any study guides/tips you have. As I am also new, I am not able to email or private message, so please send my the mentioned study guides or tips if you could. Any help is greatly appreciated.

17. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 13, 2015

Hugs, Katie. What does your score report show, aside from the score?

18. Katiewantstobeateacher

Nov 13, 2015

For the first one, I got
    1]++++
    2]++
    3]++
    4-]++
    5]++ with a comment to work on instructional strategies which I focused on for test 2 and I got the same score and comment.

Second was
    1]+++
    2]+++
    3]+
    4]+++
    5]++

Any input or advice is very appreciated. I lost out on a long term sub job due to not passing these tests.

19. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 13, 2015

Good job bringing up the score in word analysis (domain 2), which accounts for 1/3 of total multiple-choice points. It would seem that fluency (domain 3) needs some work, and so does comprehension (domain 5).

I'll guess that you got ++ in both comprehension and the case study. The diagnostic comments are a bit more specific than you show here. Take another look at the explanation of your score report, and then tell me which of the three bulleted statements ("identifying", "describing", or "explaining") is on your score report and what you think that means.

20. Katiewantstobeateacher

Nov 13, 2015

Both said "describe" so I've been looking into going into more detail of what I would do as the teacher, and how that helps the student and what she should improve in.

21. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 13, 2015

"What she should improve in" properly belongs to explaining how your chosen instructional strategy will help the student, so I don't think you need to do more there.

Who do you think you're writing for? That is, who do you think reads these things?

22. Katiewantstobeateacher

Nov 13, 2015

Basically, I try to pretend the reader doesn't know anything and explain as best I can by defining words I don't believe are common knowledge for non-education people. Hope that makes sense!

23. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 13, 2015

The people reading this are experienced educators, and they want to know that you know what you need to know to be one of them. Don't explain for non-educators: explain for fellow professionals, using the technical terminology of reading instruction as the insider's code that it is. If you're asked to define a term, define it; if you're using a term to define something else, however, you don't need to define it explicitly (though it doesn't hurt to supply an appropriate example).

24. Katiewantstobeateacher

Nov 13, 2015

That could explain why my results haven't improved. So in order to better "describe instructional strategies" would you say by using the better language and assuming they know what I'm describing improve my score? Or what would you suggest is a better way to describe instructional strategies? I've researched and studied examples from both the RICA website answers and from my study book (Ready for Revised RICA). I feel like I keep making the same mistakes and would love someone else's input.

25. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 13, 2015

Describe for me, in RICA terms, a study strategy that you've used to study for RICA.

26. Rg-chrono

Rg-chrono Rookie

Nov 18, 2015

Wow, amazing score! The fact that you got a 3 on domain two shows that you were so close to passing it! ^_^ That score is pretty great. If I were you, using one of my classmate's score as an example, I would focus on not only on doing great on the case study, but study as much as you can on domains 3 and 5, especially domain 5!! The reason is, a classmate of mine was able to pass the RICA and got similar scores as yours. The difference was that her scores were as followed:

1]+++
    2]+++
    3]++
    4]+++
    5]+++

Case Study: ++

Her case study score was not that high, but she made it all up with how well she scored on the domains. Even getting a 2 on her case study did not impact her odds of passing the RICA. Just study, and if you need the extra help take a RICA workshop: I am taking a workshop on December 12th, RICA test on December 13th. I failed the RICA twice already. I am not giving up and will fight this last hill towards securing my teaching career. Oh well, good luck!

27. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 18, 2015

Your description should allow a person who knows the strategy under a different name to identify it. If you chose the Whole Brain Teaching strategy called The Crazy Professor Reading Game, you'd want to describe enough of how it works that a fellow teacher could recognize it as reciprocal teaching with a boatload of emoting. Your description should also get specific with examples: if your strategy is for teaching r-controlled vowels, name several words that involve r-controlled vowels (part, serve, bird, fork).

28. Rg-chrono

Rg-chrono Rookie

Dec 30, 2015

I finally passed this damn test! after the 3rd time I was able to pass it. I now feel like I know more about teaching students how to read than anybody who only took it just once and passed it by luck. LOL Anyways! what worked for me was reading all of the guide books mentioned on here and the videos:
    • Ready for Revised RICA: A Test Preparation Guide for California's Reading Instruction Competence Assessment
    • Case Studies in Preparation for the California Reading Competency Test (4th Edition)
    • CliffsNotes RICA 2nd Edition
    • TeacherTestPrep workshop
    • Distanceprep youtube videos (all of them)
    My scores were as follow:
    1)+++
    2)+++
    3)+++
    4)++
    5)++

Case Study: +++

I felt that the 3rd time taking the test was really difficult. It was like the 3rd time you take it, you get the really hard version of it. It was so confusing for me, I felt like I wasn't going to pass it. BUT! what helped me were the awesome tips I got from the teachertestprep workshop and on writing the case study. It is the case study that gave me the passing points. The instructor there gave some great tips on how to correctly outline the case study. Let me put it on here for those of you who are having a hard time with the case study.

Each number is separate bullet point/Paragraph
    Outline for Case Study and short essay response (TeacherTestPrep)
    1. Identify the problem
    2. Name a strategy or activity to support student(s)
    3. Define or explain strategy/activity
    4. Presentation ( concepts/Teacher model)
    5. Guided Practice - how will the students practice task? teacher monitor
    6. Independent Practice
    7. Extended Activity

Don't be so complex in your reply, that was my weakness. Keep your reply simple and direct and use the terms correctly as you explain your findings. Also! in the end of your reply include how your strategy/activity will help the student in the future.

Good luck to all of you!!

I am so ready to enjoy 2016. ^_^

Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
    SPH_Teacher likes this.
  29. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 30, 2015

Congratulations, Rg-chrono!

30. msliz

msliz Guest

Jan 15, 2016

Hi, I'm new to this site and just now reading your posting about RICA studying tips. Do you still have a study guide I can use to help me study? I have also purchased books to help me study as well. Thanks, any tips will be greatly appreciated.

Better late than never, right?
    Thanks again,
    Liz

SPH_Teacher likes this.
  31. SPH_Teacher

SPH_Teacher Rookie

Jan 21, 2016

I'm also having a hard time passing the RICA. It's also difficult that I teach the severe and profound population, where we rarely use any of the strategies. I need to have hands on experience in order to memorize the buzz words.

32. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 21, 2016

SPH_Teacher, have you got any colleagues or friends who teach regular ed or mild/moderate grades K-6 and can help you bandy about the terminology?

33. SPH_Teacher

SPH_Teacher Rookie

Jan 26, 2016

Yes, I do and I have been working with them just bouncing different scenarios for the case study. My biggest concern is the outline for the case study. The last time I missed it by 8 points, the test result they send you said I needed to work on explaining the teaching strategy better. I take the test this Saturday. Trying to stay positive and remain confident.

34. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 26, 2016

It's fairly common for test takers to be nailed for inadequately describing the instructional strategy. If that's the one you mean, try describing it the way you'd describe it to a colleague who has some idea how the strategy generally works but never before thought of using it in quite the way you're using it. Make sure you supply one or two short examples of specific words or concepts: if the student's issue is sequence of events, for example, one strategy might be to have the student search a text for sequence words (e.g., first, next, later, finally).

SPH_Teacher likes this.
  35. SPH_Teacher

SPH_Teacher Rookie

Jan 30, 2016

Yes! I'm hoping that I do well enough to get those 8 points worth! I take the exam tomorrow. Been studying all week long and trying to stay positive.

36. teacher26

teacher26 New Member

Feb 11, 2016

Hi, I'm taking the RICA at the end of February, this will be my third time:(. The even more sad part is, I am a teacher and taught kindergarten for 9 years, 1st grade and 3rd grade in a Blue Ribbon Private school. I just need to pass this RICA so I can teach in the public schools. Any help is greatly appreciated. Here are my scores:
    1st Time:213
    1)++
    2)++
    3)+++
    4)+++
    5)++
    Case Study)++
    Describe instructional strategies
    Explain how they strategies promote reading

2nd: 218
    1)++++
    2)++
    3)++
    4)++
    5)+++
    Case study)++
    Describe instructional strategies

Thanks

37. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 11, 2016

You're coming fairly close to passing. One important place to look for more points is Domain 2, Word Analysis, which accounts for fully 33% of multiple-choice points: you need to make sure you can distinguish phonemic awareness from phonological awareness from phonics, that you know what decodability is AND can tell both how many syllables "decodability" has and how many morphemes, that you can identify a CVCe word and a CVrC word, and that you know the ways in which both "have" and "but" are sight words.

As for the case study, whom do you have in mind by way of reader as you're writing it?

38. SPH_Teacher

SPH_Teacher Rookie

Feb 11, 2016

Missed it by 8 again, 212
    1)++
    2)++
    3)++
    4)+++
    5)++
    Case Study)++

Need improvement in describing instructional strategies/activities.

I felt super confident when I completed the exam, I'm crushed.

39. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 11, 2016

Hugs, SPH_Teacher. See my post just before yours: the advice and question apply to your situation, too.

40. teacher26

teacher26 New Member

Feb 12, 2016

I never thought about who the reader's of my essay's were :-(, I guess I was just focusing on making sure I had all points covered.

Also maybe i'm getting confused as what the results mean, are the domain's with ++ for multiple choice questions or for each of the essay, or for both?

Also when I read the questions for the multiple choice, I feel there are multiple answers, I get double minded :-(

Thanks for advice of Domain 2, i will really work on that domain.