secret student?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Geauxtee, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Geauxtee

Geauxtee Comrade

Jul 24, 2013

Has anyone used "secret student" in a middle school classroom? This is when you pick 1-3 students and if they behave without correction for the period, they get a small prize at the end of the period.

I was going to do this over a ticket system because I get busy during the period and forget to hand out tickets.

I trying to figure out a positive behavior system that works.

3. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2013

I loved loved this idea. I did it with my most talkative class- 5th grade. Problem is, I wasn't consistent enough. I kept forgetting to pick at the beginning of the class, and I sort of just stopped doing it.

It sort of worked, not wonders, but I bet it would have worked better had I been more consistent. :)

4. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Jul 24, 2013

This sounds interesting. Would you do it everyday though? That seems like a lot of prizes.

5. Geauxtee

Geauxtee Comrade

Jul 24, 2013

Well, the prize would be a certificate and a few of our school's "crazy bucks" that they can use in the lunch snack bar -- so that would part would be free for me :)

I might throw in a dum dum sucker/jolly rancher or pencil -- I haven't decided on that part.

Or I could do a free homework pass -- again that would be free

Still thinking of the details :)

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 24, 2013

I know myself to know that I wouldn't be consistent enough to keep up with this method. If you can, though, then it sounds like it might be interesting.

Do you think students might feel slighted or that you were intentionally picking certain students on good days and other students on bad days? Is there a way to prevent that?

7. Geauxtee

Geauxtee Comrade

Jul 24, 2013

I do think I can be consistent with this since it's an everyday thing. I know I won't be consistent with handing out tickets/crazy bucks throughout the period.

I would have a clipboard with students' names and would put a small mark if they were chosen as a secret student. Then, I have a record so no one is completely forgotten, but I would try to chose randomly as much as possible.

8. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jul 25, 2013

I used it last year and it worked extremely well! I wasn't as consistent as I could have been, my goal for next year will be to be 100 % consistent. This was / is my dilemma:
    - I want it to be random, (using sticks), so if a student got picked today, he could be picked tomorrow, you just never know
    - at the same time I want to everyone to get a chance, and it's not guaranteed with the random method.

Last year I picked the students, I often forgot, but the student reminded me towards the end of the class. When I forgot, I acted like I already picked someone anyways, but decided on the spot, and sometimes it was a student who got the reward, other times I just said, 'well, the person I picked has not earned the reward'.
    I actually had all kinds of goodies, the most popular was a very small, almost trial size bag of Takis. I can buy a large bag of 20 or maybe even more for $4. I know the $ will add up, but this method works with my students, so I will keep it up.
    I had other things, like lollipops, small juice boxes, and small bags of cookies / crackers (like 3 Oreo cookies in a package). My P is perfectly ok with it. If you give food, of course you have to check with your admin.

I'm thinking about getting a desk chair for myself, and use my old one as a prize they can choose. It's very comfortable, but too comfortable and low for me. So if the student earns the reward, he could choose a prize from the box, or he could choose to sit in that chair in the following day, in that period. But I'm not sure if they would even like it, they could love it, or not care at all.

9. Geauxtee

Geauxtee Comrade

Jul 25, 2013

Thanks for the tips, Linguist. Yes, we can do food at my school thankfully!

10. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 25, 2013

What I did with my grade 1s was I picked a secret student at random - only 1. Then if they were on task for a specific period of time, the WHOLE class received a small reward (i.e. play rock-paper-scissors, dance party, etc.). This way it didn't matter if it was the same kid every time or not and I didn't have to keep track of who'd had a turn.

11. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jul 25, 2013

I like that, too! In this case the reward could be some time for them to chit-chat, etc. (I teach high school)

12. Crono91

Crono91 Rookie

Jul 31, 2013

I really like that. I want to be able to implement situations where a student's actions is responsible for the entire class, but I didn't want it to end in severe consequences. Your idea fits perfectly! I feel a dance party coming already.

13. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Jul 31, 2013

I would at least give it a try.

14. SpiffyScience

SpiffyScience Rookie

Aug 6, 2013

What if you used sticks but put every student's name in there three times? That way, it's possible to be picked more than once, but the probabilities start leaning toward students who haven't been picked yet, as the names get weeded out.

You could also keep track on a list, and once each student has been picked at least once, start over with all of the names in there three times again.

15. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Aug 6, 2013

That's a really good idea! I thought about keeping a list, I will probably still do that, but I think I will have 3 sticks for everyone. That's going to make it simpler and better. Brilliant!!!!