Secret Stories of the ABC's

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by kteachone, Aug 4, 2009.

1. kteachone

kteachone Companion

Aug 4, 2009

3. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Aug 5, 2009

Is this a supplementary program? Are there pictures books? I've never heard of this. Looks very interesting!

4. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Aug 5, 2009

This looks very cool! If only my K kids could right like that! :) I would be interested to hear any stories people have to share about this program!

5. jlj

jlj Devotee

Aug 5, 2009

I love this! What a great idea! $90.00 is a bit much right now. :( Guess you could make up your own stories for each special sound IF you're creative and IF you have extra time on your hands :huh: that doesn't describe me right now. Would be interested in knowing if anyone else uses this.

6. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Aug 5, 2009

Are you familiar with Marva Collins? It's been several years since my district really touted her works. You might check with, Jem, who's an A to Z member to see if she has anything of hers? Her philosophy looks somewhat similiar to the secrets.

I Googled her and came up with some of her books, but she has an alphabet you post on the wall with little sayings to go with each letter.

7. kteachone

kteachone Companion

Aug 20, 2009

Thanks, I will check her out!

8. cb4pebbles

cb4pebbles Companion

Aug 22, 2009

My school uses the secret stories program. In my opinion this is something you can do on your own. Just make up stories as to why letters make the sounds that they do. For example, there are the 'h' brothers (th, ch, sh, and wh). 'Ch' looooves choo choo trains and he is always in his room playing with his trains making the sound "ch, ch, ch, ch." 'Wh' has been trying to whistle, but still doesn't quite have it (make the sound). 'Th' is the older brother and he runs up and down the hallway poking his head in his brothers' rooms and sticking out his tongue (make the sound). 'Sh' is the baby brother and he worries all the time that they will all get in trouble so he runs around telling his brothers to "shhhhh".

I don't always go with the stories the program has in it. I usually make up my own. The $90 buys you the posters (which are basically boring. Black letters on red paper), a cd, and the book of stories. Not really worth the price in my opinion. But the program is good. The creator visited our school. She is good. You should look into having her visit your district.

9. tcherjen

tcherjen Comrade

Aug 22, 2009

I own the program. I bought the parent version of it. It is helpful. The stories are really cute. I was at one school where the whole school used it in kindergarten and first grades. It seemed benefical.