Secret Pal Check-in!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by StickyNotes, Aug 5, 2007.

1. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Jan 5, 2008

I'm glad you got it. Hope you had a Merry Christmas and a wonderful new year to come. :hugs:

2. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jan 5, 2008

I won't be joining the spring secret pal group. School, family, helping with the spring farm work, planting a garden and etc keeps me extremely busy during the springtime.

Mamacita sent me a box full of terrific surprises because I never received anything, not even a note, from my secret pal.

Tiggerteacher and Teachingmomof4 never received anything from their secret pals either.

Before Christmas I sent them each a Christmas Card and a pack of Apple Cider and an after Christmas surprise packages with an Easter Kitchen Towel Bunny.

To my knowledge each person who joined the first round secret pal group received at least one small package.

To One and All Happy New Year

3. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Jan 5, 2008

Hescollin did so much more than sending a Christmas card and towel. She sent me huge files of ideas to use in my classroom. She sent many emails to say hello or happy new year. I know whoever received gifts from her was blessed. It is unfortunate that others chose not to participate and made good people like hescollin, tiggerteacher, and myself not get the full enjoyment out of the experience.

Hescollin, you are a wonderful person and I thank you for our "last minute secret pal" relationship.

4. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jan 5, 2008

Hes, you are a very kind and thoughtful lady. How considerate you are to go over and above. You are a sweetie!:love:

5. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jan 5, 2008

Thank You for your kind words.

Papayamist wasn't going to put her name on the list because she thought it would spoil the fun for them. I told her I was going to be her secret pal.

She collects pink ribbon items. My last minute find was a locket with pink gems that made the ribbon. I was so excited. I was like a little kid jumping with joy.

Again thank you for your kind words.

6. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jan 5, 2008

I'm glad you got it... I found that turtle a while ago and knew it was PERFECT for you! :)

7. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Jan 5, 2008

Thanks I am just now seeing this....:hugs:

8. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Jan 6, 2008

Hescollin, I got my 'bunny' today and I love it! That was really kind of you and I appreciate it very much. Thank you.

I just can't understand a person who would sign up to do something and then just, well, not do it! How beastly rude can you get? I just couldn't bear to think of someone waiting and waiting and never getting anything or hearing a word of explanation.

P.S. That cider pack was gone before the sun went down that very night. It was delish.

9. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jan 6, 2008

Mamacitia I know how you feel. I got one package from my secret pal and one e-card. The last thing I heard was early October. No explaination. I know I was late getting things to my pal, but I was hinting on and off what was going on, without letting out who was my pal.

The person who had me, hasn't even been on the boards since then. :( Sometimes life stinks :(

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 6, 2008

I sent to the person who had you wldywall. I sent her several emails, and commented that I hadn't seen her post for a long time; she said that she'd been very busy and hadn't been on. I haven't heard from her whether she received the last package I sent her. Sorry it didn't work out well for you.

11. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jan 6, 2008

I understand that sometimes things get crazy for people, I understand that. I just wish I got an explaination. It would help.

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 6, 2008

I agree completely. Things get crazy for us all; we can't use that as an excuse for not following through on obligations.

13. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jan 6, 2008

Better Late Than Never

As the saying goes "Better Late Than Never" The rush is over, we had a break, with a new year and a new beginning. To you who took and didn't give, it's not to late. Send a surprise package, an e mail and you will make yourself feel good along with your secret pal and a host of others who were apart of this special fun project.

14. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Jan 6, 2008

Mamacita: can you post a picture of the "bunny" It sounds like something I would like to make for my girls.

15. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jan 6, 2008

PM me with your e mail address. I have the directions on the computer and I will be glad to share. You take a pretty kitchen towel and fold it, roll a cheap thin wash cloth for the arms, roll the second wash cloth diagonal, for the ears. When you get tired of looking at the bunny, you untie the ribbons and use your towel and wash rags. The nice thick wash rags are to big and don't look nice.

Here is the poem that I use.
    “I am your kitchen bunny
    when you tire of me
    untie my bows….and I will
    become 2 washcloths and
    one drying towel.”

Mamacita I don't care if you post a picture of the bunny. I don't know how to do that.

16. Ponypal

Ponypal Comrade

Jan 6, 2008

As some of you mentioned about better late than never, I was running late, but I DID follow through, sending thoughtful things on the list that I was given. It was not an easy one! I should be thankful, knowing that other people never received anything, but all I received was a card and a pack of stickers, and I didn't really understand the card. I think that the person that had me received things from a person that didn't receive anything. I have never seen a post on secret pals from the person that I had. Secret Pals was a good idea, but some good hearted people really got burned.

17. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jan 6, 2008

Do any of you have simple easy sew small stuffed toys (bean bags). I found that the students love this sort of thing in the treasure box. I have made two different bears, seahorse, lucky ducky, fish and a cute mouse bookmark, and some necklaces with cord and five wooden beads for the boys and ribbon and glass beads for the girls. I bought a variety pack from Oriental Trading Post, but the felt stuffed bean bags (I fill with pillow stuffing so they are soft) are the favorites.

18. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jan 6, 2008

Kitchen Rabbit

Aball and Ponytail and Wldywaill. I'd be glad and make a Kitchen Rabbit for you. I need an address to mail it to. PM me.

19. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jan 6, 2008

Yes, please do. It sounds like a great Mother's Day gift.

20. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jan 6, 2008

http://trudyavery.com You will find a kitchen towel bunny at this site. It's a bit different than the one I make, because I roll the wash rags.

The dish rag britches the fourth thing down at the above site.
    These make for a good laugh at bachelorlet party.

Here is the poem I have used with the Britches.
    Now don't get excited and don't be mislead.
    These are not for you but your dishes instead.
    So untie the yarn and take out the stitches.
    You now have two dish cloths, but you have just lost
    your britches.

21. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Jan 6, 2008

Hescollin- The rabbit is cute! Do you use a pattern for the animals you sew?

22. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Jan 7, 2008

I am sure I could figure it out with some directions. But that was so sweet of you to offer to send one. And the good thing I can get the dish towels at my mom's store.:D

23. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jan 7, 2008

Yes, I use a pattern to sew the animals. I googled bean bags and easy sew and found free patterns.

ABall if you have trouble get back in touch. They are quick, easy and fun to make.

24. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jan 7, 2008

Here are some of the sites that I found my free patterns at.

found the kitty and rabbit at Look under patterns
    http://mylittlemochi.typepad.com

I didn't gather at the ears. I gathered at the bottom. I tied a ribbon around the ears with a knot. I tied a ribbon around the neck with a bow.
    I
    Sewing.org Charitable Sewing Hug Me Teddybear.

www.daniellesplace.com Sea Horse

daniellesplace.com Star fish

craftbits.com frog

http://www.tinybirdsorganics.com stuffed animal Larger bear. by Jenny Rasmussen Also found a turtle pattern at this site

craftsayings.com Candy Cane Mouse and I added a ribbon Makes a candy cane treat and a bookmark.

I found a fish, but I don't know where.
    and a chicken We call Lucky Ducky.

So far I have 12 different patterns.

25. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jan 7, 2008

26. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Jan 7, 2008

hescollin: in that first link, did you see those paper angels? I used to make those out of wall paper samples. (ask people like at Home Depot for old wall paper books and then you make them making a large cone for the body, 2 small ones for the arms, hot glue and then glue a wooden ball (ours were 1 inch wood ball) hot glue fake curly hair and then make wings using 2 cut outs for the wings or one side will not be wall paper looking.

27. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Jan 8, 2008

Thanks, hescollin. The rabbit towel is very cute.

28. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Jan 8, 2008

Thanks so much Hescollin!! :hugs:

29. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Jan 10, 2008

Package Recieved

Wldywall was my secret pal, and I did not know things were going beyond her control keeping her from sending, but I understand now, so she sent everything in one box.:wub:

Very nicely packaged in different little gift bags or wrapped up was:
    *Choxie Chocolate flakey truffles
    *mirrored little trinket box
    *Red Apple spice candle
    *Strawberries n creme candy
    *Coffee mug with Millstone Chocolate velvet & caramel coffees and vanilla chai tea (bigelow)
    *Pencil and pen set with grips and erasers And 2 sets of stickerdoodle stickers.
    *Card with picture of the beach and it sings Kokomo:whistle:
    This all the kinds of things I love to get and Everything got here in perfect shape. Please tell your dd she wrapped things very well.

In the very begining of this I got a lovely PTA kind of cook book.

Thank you so much, you were very sweet to send all of this. I am not sad about the secret pal stuff anymore. :hugs: I hope things ge better for you at school.
    Amy

30. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jan 10, 2008

I'm glad you got it okay! Yay!

Just to let you know that cookbook is actually from a place called The Center for Women in Transistion. They help women who have had to leave a violent relationship, they are also the people that go to counsel rape victims at the hosptial and help women who are victims of any kind of violence get the counseling and help they need. (I just crossed out where it came from because the place is just to close to my house, I didn't want you to narrow down secret pals by that address! There was a lot of information about the community in there too)

I am so glad you liked it all. I just have one problem, when I find something I think you will like, I don't need to buy it anymore. Whatever am I going to do with myself. :(

So can I do it again with the new group stickynotes?????

31. Ponypal

Ponypal Comrade

Jan 10, 2008

hescollin,

I love my kitchen rabbit! Thank you so much!

32. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jan 16, 2008

Mamacita, The hour is late, but HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! Hope you had a great day.

33. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Jan 16, 2008

Thank you, Hescollin.

34. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jan 25, 2008

Ponypal. Tonight for supper we enjoyed some of your wonderful Pure New York Maple Syrup on our hot cakes. Delicious! I love the very special angel that you sent from New York. Again Thank you Thank you!

My after secret pals have been awesome.