Secret Life of the American Teenager

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by MissWull, May 3, 2011.

1. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

May 3, 2011

I think that's the name of the show and no I don't watch it. I saw a couple episodes when it first started and then caught another episode a few seasons later.

I've never seen a show with such horrible acting. The reason I bring this up at all is that the storylines are just beyond ridiculous that I'm not even sure how this show is still on air..when other, much better shows are being canceled!

One of my close friends still watches it and she just admitted to me that she still watches but it's so bad she just has to see how corny they can really go.

From what I gather it started with a high school girl (freshman I think) getting pregnant by an older high schooler. They had the baby and kept it...ok that was the original premise. But it seems now that there's ANOTHER pregnant high schooler....kids moving in together....someone asking another to marry them....ALL IN HIGH SCHOOL! :eek:hmy::eek:hmy::eek:hmy: Are you kidding me with this show?

Just a rant I've been wanting to get off my chest since my friend mentioned it in an email this morning. Anyone else ever see this show?

3. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 3, 2011

I watch it-got hooked when the seasons were put on instant Netflicks. The plot has really gone downhill-now I just have it on in the background. Dh will stop in during various points in the episode and ask for updates, but neither of us are super followers anymore. This season started to get really unbelievable, and I have a hard time with Grace's mom being ok with Grace having sex with Grant and telling her about it. It's like she's given up-I just don't believe that. It has started some interesting parenting conversations between Dh and I, though-would WE do that as parents?

4. porque_pig

porque_pig Comrade

May 3, 2011

I agree--this show is terrible. However, every time it's on, I can't help but watch it for at least a few minutes--it's like watching a train wreck, I suppose. The characters are completely unbelievable. The adult characters don't have any common sense, and the teenage characters aren't very authentic. I'm not entirely sure what the point of the show is--it's not shocking enough to be purely entertaining, the writing isn't good enough to warrant it being considered an intense drama, and the characters get away with entirely too much for it to have a profound moral message.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 3, 2011

I like it.

The acting is terrible, but so was the acting on Saved By the Bell back in the day, and I loved that show too.

I think it does a lot of things wrong, especially with regard to Tom, Grace's brother. I still think it's a fun show and it can provide a way for parents and teens to talk about sex. I think it can also be informative to teens and preteens who might not know as much about sex as they want to or as they think they do. Although it was among the corniest episodes and storylines in the whole series, I did appreciate the bit they did on ************, especially that girls do it too. That's not something that is ever talked about, and I think it needs to be presented as an alternative activity to full-on sex.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 3, 2011

It bleeped out the word m a s t u r b a t i o n. FYI. :lol:

7. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

May 3, 2011

OMG those were my friend's words exactly, "it's like watching a train wreck"! The show is just crazy, everything you said is right on porque_pig!

I don't think SBTB was THIS corny. Also, they had rules, they had parents...you didn't see kids getting pregnant, proposed to, etc etc...while in high school.

8. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

May 3, 2011

Shows like these, One Tree Hill is another even though I love it, glamorizes situations.

9. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

May 3, 2011

I find a lot of entertainment with shows that are so bad that they're good...I laugh more during this show than a lot of comedies!

10. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

May 3, 2011

I like to watch it on netflix as I'm falling asleep - because I'm not so into it that I'll stay awake to watch, but it is entertaining.

It is actually the same creator as 7th Heaven. Which I completely love, even though it is very cheesy.

11. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 3, 2011

I watched the first eposide and was shocked by how "PSA" it was. Bad, bad, bad!

12. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 3, 2011

I admit it, I've been watching since day 1 & never missed an episode, but the acting isn't the best. I hate the attitude of the main character's younger sister. However, I like the show for some reason, otherwise, I would have stopped watching long ago. I've never watched a show where the word, "Sex" was said that many times in one episode.

13. ABCFamily

ABCFamily Guest

May 6, 2011

Hey guys, I’m glad to hear some of you are Secret Life fans! I actually work with ABC Family and I would love to hear more of what you think of this season? Do you guys have a favorite character?

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 6, 2011

ABCFamily, there's no character on the show I really LOVE. My least favorite is the character India plays. She's too young to be so drab & cynical, plus she's a know-it-all, sarcastic brat. I don't like how Ken's character got Francia pregnant, in fact, I don't like the two of them as a couple period. Jennifer Coolidge is an airhead and Mark Derwin is a loser. I don't know why it shows Molly Ringwald's character as missing in action off somewhere. She's a lousy mother on the show who isn't at home where she needs to be supporting her daughters.

I like Pretty Little Liars & Make It or Break It better. Is Huge even returning?

15. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 6, 2011

I used to like Ashley, but she has stopped being the voice of reason and started being a whiny brat.

16. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 6, 2011

Haha, Ms I-tell us how you REALLY feel! ;)

I would second all your comments. Where IS Molly Ringwald?? That part did not make ANY sense to me. She has a baby and then leaves her support system?

Amy has grown on me. I use to REALLY not care for her. But she's grown up a lot. Grant drives me CRAZY. He's so monotoned and obsessed with sex. Grace's mother makes really poor parenting choices, like she's given up. As if she's reverted back to being Grace's age again and just doesn't care what Grace does. And I'm not sure why Grace lost her conviction about chastity. One day she's for it, the next day-bring on the condoms! The whole bit with Jack popping in every time Grace discussed sex was really weird, too.

And yet, I keep watching.

17. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 6, 2011

Don't you have a market research division? I'm sure professional educators are NOT your main demographic...

18. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

May 6, 2011

I used to watch 7th Heaven when it first started too...but this show, it's just too much going on with these kids. The sister of the main character...WOW does she have any emotion EVER?

19. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 6, 2011

Yep, that's how I feel & like you, I keep watching as well...but if the show was cancelled, I'm not going to cry about it! Molly Ringwald must have told the producers that she wants less of a role on the show. When she was pregnant on the show, she was pregnant in real life too, so maybe she wants her job to be less demanding to raise her baby. She's really making herself look like the "model" mom on the show though. (Yes, I'm being sarcastic.)

20. ABCFamily

ABCFamily Guest

May 10, 2011

Ms. I, I’m glad you enjoy other ABC Family shows too! Caesar, I see what you mean about Ashely – she used to be a level headed person, and now she seems less in touch with reality, but I think she’ll grow to be more grounded again. And Gem, I totally agree – at first, I didn’t like Amy but not she’s really matured.
    Czacza, while we do have a group that does research, we really like to hear what the fans have to think, no matter what demographic! Did any of you guys tune-in last night? What did you think?

21. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 10, 2011

I keep missing the episodes 'live'. I love how they are available on-line. That's how I watch most weeks. I'll let you know after I watch this evening.

22. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 10, 2011

I have yet to see it, but I DVR'd it. I'll say my comments later!

23. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

May 10, 2011

I've watched about five minutes of the show. It's not for me.

24. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 16, 2011

Finally had a chance to watch last week's episode. I'm SO glad Ricky didn't cheat. I find it incredibly hard to watch tv characters make really poor choices, and we finally got a chance to see Ricky grow up.

25. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 13, 2011

Anyone still watching this show? I never missed an episode since day 1...just haven't watched the latest ep yet (9/12/11). I guess they've kind of written off Amy's sister. I like how Ricky & Amy's relationship's going.