Secondary to Elementary School

Discussion in 'General Education' started by rachel0805, Sep 11, 2011.

1. rachel0805

rachel0805 New Member

Sep 11, 2011

I am in my final year of college, and I am a social studies education major. Next semester I am going to student teach, and I'm absolutely dreading it. Going into college, I wasn't sure if I wanted to teach elementary or secondary, but I love history so I chose social studies education. I have gotten to do a lot of tutoring over the years, and I gradually fell in love helping out with the elementary school kids. I feel so much happier working with them, and I feel like I have the patience for them.

If I do decide to eventually become an elementary school teacher, will I have to do 4 more years of schooling? I feel like that's where my heart is, but I can't bare the thought of having to go to school for 4 more years. Are there other options out there for me? Or am I stuck teaching middle/high school kids?

3. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Sep 11, 2011

The requirements will depend on your state, but I think in most places, as long as you have a degree, you'll probably just need to pass the required tests for elementary in order to obtain that license. It's possible that you may have to take a course or two related to elementary education, but you won't have to get another bachelors degree.

4. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Sep 11, 2011

Noo....not 4 years! 1 year at the most. Probably more like 1 semester. My state requires some methods courses related to elementary and a certification test if you already have a degree in education.