Secondary person going to Elementary?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by ZeroTX, Apr 22, 2010.

1. ZeroTX

ZeroTX Rookie

Apr 22, 2010

Good afternoon,

I'm a secondary educator who is currently in administration. I'm considering a two-part major shift in my career as an educator. #1, I'm considering going back into the classroom for a couple of years in order to help me along the path to #2, which is to change from being a secondary campus administrator to an elementary campus administrator. I feel like I would do a better job at it if I were to teach elementary for a couple of years first.

Thoughts? Anyone else ever made the Secondary->Elementary switch? Admittedly, I would most likely be interested in teaching 4th or 5th graders, but on the other hand, maybe I should just go straight to Kindergarten and truly shake things up :)

I may find that after teaching for a year or two in elementary that it's not for me. On the other hand, I may never want to go back. I love working with teenagers, but sometimes the "other stuff" gets in the way of instruction a bit too much, and the politics of high school within the district (related to graduation rates, drop-outs, truancy) is maddening.

Thanks all!

-ZeroTX

3. ZeroTX

ZeroTX Rookie

Apr 22, 2010

Darn, I intended to post this in Elementary.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 22, 2010

If you want the thread moved, ask a moderator.

5. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Apr 22, 2010

I wouldn't jump into Kinder right away. You might want to ease into that. I've known some teachers who have made the switch and liked aspects of both. Good luck. :D

6. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Apr 22, 2010

I think its great that you want to teach elementary before being an admin. I say go for it! If it doesn't work out, you can always go back to secondary :)