Secondary or Elementary????

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by JasminHannah, Sep 20, 2006.

1. JasminHannah

JasminHannah Rookie

Sep 20, 2006

History - my husband is training as a secondary teacher, and I am sonn applying to train as a teacher. We both plan to move to the Houston area of Texas, most probably the North area - Humble, the Woodlands area once I have completed my training in UK.

:confused: I am about to choose what to train as a teacher, however I am confused. I originally thought I just wanted to teach elementary, but I am unsure whether I should, or should I train as Secondary, and if i don't like it after a few years, retrain for elementary??? :confused:

I have not done any voluntary work in secondary, and the last time I was in a secondary school was when I was sixteen. I have however, done many years of voluntary work with both kindergarten/preschoolers as well as elementary and thuroughly enjoy it.

My heart is telling me to go with elementary, but I worry there aren't that many jobs as in secondary and I may well be closing down my options.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I need to get my application in in the next two weeks to stand a good chance of getting the provider nearer to my home. Please help!!!:thanks: :)

3. scienceteach50

scienceteach50 Companion

Sep 20, 2006

follow your heart.

4. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Sep 20, 2006

There are definitely many more jobs in secondary, especially math and science. My heart is in elementary, but I have not been able to get a job after being out a number of years. You need to do what is best for you.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 20, 2006

If you do opt for secondary, you would have to choose an area of concentration. Is there a particular subject that appeals to you?

I've got to tell you, I love the older kids. (the 7th graders I have now are the youngest I've ever taught!!!) You can have fun and be creative with them, but you don't have to guide their every move. While I'm a great Precalculus teacher and am a whiz at geometric proofs, I've got to hand it to anyone who teaches kids WHY we read from left to right and top to bottom, or "to" "too" and "two" all sound alike but have totally different meanings, or why "bough" doesn't rhyme with "rough."

I say consider your options. Finding a job is part of the issue, but not the whole thing. And some secondary areas are tough as well-- there are lots of wannabe writers out there with English degrees competing for jobs.

Is it possible to do some voluntary work in a high school? Give some a call and look into the possibility-- you may be surprised at how much fun it is.

Good luck with your decision.

6. boogaboo214

boogaboo214 Companion

Sep 22, 2006

you shoul volenteer n a secondary b4 you decide. if not you will be making a blind decision. that is my advice, i am one of those people who wants to know what i am gettin in to b4 i do it.

7. Miss Jana

Miss Jana Rookie

Sep 26, 2006

I have no idea how it works coming over from the UK, so I don't know if this helps or not.... But I'm training now to be a teacher in Texas. Our certifications are in groups. I'm getting certified for Pre-K thru 4th grade. Perhaps when you get ready to be certified here in Texas, go with a certification of 4th thru 8th, which is the next one up from me. Then you can teach in either elementary or secondary....unless when you say elementary you are talking about the very little ones.

As far as the job market, I would say that more secondary teachers are needed than elementary, especially Math and Science, but I also know that Texas seems to be growing, so I don't think you'll have too much of a problem finding work in either area.... Good luck to you! :)

Jana