Secondary first day activities

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by Shartarri23, Aug 6, 2005.

1. Shartarri23

Shartarri23 New Member

Aug 6, 2005

I was wondering if anyone had any icebreakers or fun activites for the first day of school. I am a new teacher, teaching 11th grade US History.Thanks, Shartarri :)

3. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 7, 2005

I remember doing interviews when I was in my first day of 11th grade US history. That was only seven years ago, so it's not too out of the times... ;)

4. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Aug 7, 2005

This was in my Teachersfirst.com newsletter this morning. :) Might be fun as a cooperative group activity! Should make for some fun discussions! Funny how a person takes things for granted and doesn't really see them! :D Enjoy!

Trivia Quiz
    Here are a few questions which should "loosen up" even the more jaded high school student.
    If they're a competitive group, see scoring below.

1. On a standard traffic light, is the green on the top or bottom?
    2. How many states are there? ( don't laugh, some people don't know)
    3. In which hand is the Statue of Liberty's torch?
    4. What 6 colors are on the classic Campbell's soup label?
    5. What 2 letters don't appear on the telephone dial? ( no cheating!)
    6. What 2 #'s don't have letters by them?
    7. When you walk does your left arm swing w/ you right or left leg?
    8. How many matches are in a standard pack?
    9. On our flag, is the top stripe red or white?
    10. What is the lowest # on the FM dial?
    11. Which way does water go down the drain, counter- or clockwise?
    12. Which way does a "no smoking" sign's slash run?
    13. How many channels on a VHF TV dial?
    14. Which side of a women's blouse are the buttons on?
    15. On a NY license plate, is New York on the top or bottom?
    16. Which way do fans rotate?
    17. Whose face is on a dime?
    18. How many sides does a stop sign have?
    19. Do books have even # pages on the right or left side?
    20. How many lug nuts are on a standard car wheel?
    21. How many sides are there on a standard pencil?
    22. Sleepy, Happy, Sneezy, Grumpy, Dopey, Doc. Who's missing?
    23. How many hot dog buns are in a standard package?
    25. On which playing card is the cardmaker's trademark?
    26. On which side of a venetian blind is the cord that adjusts the opening between the slats?
    27. On the back of a dollar bill, what is in the center?
    28. There are 12 buttons on a touch tone phone. What 2 symbols bear no digits?
    29. How many curves are in a standard paper clip?
    30. Does a merry-go-round turn clockwise or counterclockwise?

Answers

1. Bottom
    2. 50
    3. right
    4. blue, red, white, yellow, black, and gold
    5. Q, Z
    6. 1,0
    7. left
    8. 20
    9. red
    10. 88
    11. counter( unless you happen to be south of the equator)
    12. towards bottom right
    13. 12 ( no #1)
    14. right
    15. top
    16. clockwise as you look at it
    17. Roosevelt
    18. 8 What about the front side and back side? I think it also could be 10.
    19. left
    20. 5
    21. 6
    22. Bashful
    23. 6
    24. did you notice there wasn't one?
    25. Ace of spades
    26. Left
    27. ONE
    28. *, #
    29. 3
    30. counterclockwise

Scoring

30-28 Mensa is calling, genius
    25-27 Not too shabby
    20-24 You could do better
    16-19 McDonald's is calling ( would you like fries w/ that?)
    15 or below...Wake up!

5. Mrs.SLF

Mrs.SLF Comrade

Aug 7, 2005

When I was in 11 grade (which was only 6 years ago), I was in AP and on the first day my teacher (and mentor-I love her and aspire to be like her) went over the basics of the course and gave us a political survey to gauge our political stands. The next day she did the seating chart according to the results of the survey from most conservative to most liberal. The seating arrangement really worked because it allowed us to sit the way we would in a debate and helped facilitated our discussions. I actually plan on doing the same thing with my classroom (once I finish all of my schooling---can't wait!!!) because it was very beneficial to class interaction and keeping us interested. I wish I had the survey on me that she used because I would post it but I have it stored away somewhere. The survey/quiz was very neutral in wording so one wouldn't necessarily know how to answer to be in a certain political preference. It also helped with people not sitting next to friends necessarily and chatting in class. The only downfall is I don't know it would work in a non honors/AP class but I am excited to try it with my own class. Hope this helps as an idea! (I also have a love for politics-my major being poly sci-so I think this would help if you truly enjoy politics!)

6. mmeblue

mmeblue Rookie

Aug 8, 2005

After going through my policies and procedures, I do a little "how do we study history" activity. I announce that some lockers were vandalized this morning before school, and Little Johnny was seen near the building. I have Little Johnny come up to the front of the room and choose a "lawyer." I ask both of them how they're going to proceed with proving Little Johnny's innocence in this case. I get them (with the help of the class) to the ideas of calling witnesses, looking at physical evidence, hearing what Little Johnny himself has to say, etc. Then I transition into explaining that history is studied the same way: in order to reconstruct "what really happened," historians look at physical evidence and the statements of the people who were actually there or who encountered those who were actually there. It's a good lead-in to a discussion of primary vs. secondary sources, too, if there's enough time - I use a lot of primary sources in my teaching.

Anyway, that's an activity I do with 8th graders, but I think it could probably work with older ones, too. It's probably better if it's not a group that you would truly suspect of vandalism, and possibly if you find a student that you already know or ask a coworker who's taught them before for a good "suspect" to use. Also, it's pretty obvious from the get-go that this is a fake crime; I don't try to make them think it's real. :)

7. smileyd

smileyd Comrade

Aug 8, 2005

here is something my cooperating teacher did the first day of school on the first day of my practicum:

Take a roll of toilet paper
    Have every student take as many or as few sheets of paper as they like
    Afterever student takes a few sheets, they have to share that many interestng facts about themselves with the class. They have to share one for every square
    The teacher does too, but make sure you really have that number of interesting facts to share.

8. smileyd

smileyd Comrade

Aug 10, 2005