Secondary English questions

Discussion in 'High School' started by LynnB, Jun 2, 2009.

1. LynnB

LynnB Rookie

Jun 2, 2009

I am just curious to know the number of students that other English teachers have on a daily basis. How do you handle grading essays, student-written poems, research papers, etc.?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 2, 2009

Core classes in our school run at 35-45 students times six classes, so around 200-270 students. I'm not an English teacher, so I'm not sure how exactly they handle grading big papers, though.

4. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 2, 2009

I see about 100 students every day.

I don't have any secrets on grading. I spend a lot of time on it.

5. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jun 2, 2009

I had between 175-180 students in five classes this year. Grading takes a lot of time. I use some strategies from Carol Jago's book, Papers, Papers, Papers.

6. ANGRY AL

ANGRY AL Companion

Jun 2, 2009

3 blocks - usually over 110 per semester.

7. kimberly121

kimberly121 Rookie

Jun 3, 2009

Our freshmen classes are capped at 25. Others are at 38. I have about 160 students, between freshmen and seniors. I never assign big assignments to both preps due at the same time. I learned from another teacher to pick a few things to grade in papers. Otherwise, it takes hours to grade papers. So sometimes I'll concentrate on form (basic structure). Other times it's grammar and dead words.

8. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jun 3, 2009

I have about 75 kids at a time for half the year. (Less kids at a time, but more papers and less turn around time squeezed in there).

I have this hanging on my wall. It might be from a Carol Jago workshop.

How to Handle the Paper Load
    1. Do it Now!
    2. Set aside large amounts of time to grade
    3. Set a timer for each paper
    4. Stretch between each paper
    5. Use a rubric
    6. Don't grade when you are exhausted.
    7. No interruptions!
    8. Make students READ the COMMENTS
    9. Save all the papers.

Students never want to read the comments and that wastes your time if you are writing them. I have a chart on my rubric that says "Looks great!" and "Needs work!" I try to write 2-3 things they really need to focus on for next time or when they revise.

Sometimes I tend to grade the first papers too hard or easy, so I either make sure I read over a few before I start, or go back to the first few and make sure they are in line with everything else I graded.

I will take a stack of papers to the coffee shop or somewhere and just sit and grade.

9. mmyoung

mmyoung New Member

Jun 20, 2009

I see about 75 seniors each day, block schedule so around 150 total. I grade constantly...people laugh when they see me at sports and music events with stacks of papers. If students are to become better writers we have to provide real feedback for them to improve with. It is a lot of work for me, but I find that my students will read and respond to my comments, because they know I am reading what they produce. (Apparently, somewhere in their pasts they got a lot of "completion" grades.)

10. 8teacher

8teacher New Member

Jul 7, 2009

Ha! Ha! Thanks!

This is great advice! :) I've heard of Jago, but I obviously need to read the book!

11. 8teacher

8teacher New Member

Jul 7, 2009

Uneasy about this one...

I teach with other English teachers who use methods such as lettiing the other kids score each other, after they've been "trained in scoring them" and I feel uneasy about this. ??? I feel like that's indeed great practice for them in grading (if you hide the writer's identity, which they also don't), but I would still have to grade them myself. What do you think?