Second Year Teachers

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by catnfiddle, Aug 8, 2009.

1. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 8, 2009

Anyone else having some pre-school anxiety? Now that I know what's in store for me, I'm mentally dragging my feet to get in gear and start prepping. Still haven't contacted my co-teacher to arrange a game plan. ACK! :dizzy:

3. janney

janney Cohort

Aug 8, 2009

This is my second year as well, I'm feeling less anxious than last year. My biggest fear that I have right now is that this year will be as bad as last year. I really don't think that will happen though since last year was pretty horrible.:woot:

I'm also dragging my feet with prepping for the first weeks. I'm constantly thinking about it but I haven't put anything on paper yet.

I am so, so, so, so glad that this is not my first year.

4. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Aug 8, 2009

Nope.

I now have some idea as what to expect :)

5. Tornteacher

Tornteacher Rookie

Aug 9, 2009

Trust me, I know exactly how you feel. Not only am I having some major anxiety, but I am absolutely DREADING what is about to come. In fact, I'd say I'm in denial about school starting in 2 weeks. I'm pretty sure this will be my last year teaching. I realized after the first couple months of last school year that I just don't think my heart is in this, and it needs to be. Anyway, I am just at a loss. I am trying to have a good attitude, or atleast I want to have a good attitude, but basically I can't stand the thought of going back for another year. I hope the year flies by so I can find another career!!!! Isn't it terrible to be thinking this way before the year has even started? Everyone tells me to give teaching another shot, and that's what I'm doing. I just hope I can survive my 2nd year knowing what I know now. Maybe I will surprise myself and find that I love it!!! Or maybe not... :(

6. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2009

Wow! I am sorry you are so unhappy.

Mind if I ask why you signed a contract for this coming school year if you felt this way?

7. ambritlit

ambritlit Companion

Aug 9, 2009

I'm just starting my third year, but I can assure you that the second year is so much easier than the first. You are familiar with the curriculum and the school, etc...

I'm starting at a different school this year, teaching a different grade, so I feel like I'm new all over again.

8. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 10, 2009

Arg... this is my 4th year... but after a two year break, at a new school, new county, and a grade level I haven't taught in 5 years. Jitters? Nerves? Worries? YES.

9. scooter503

scooter503 Comrade

Aug 10, 2009

I am much less anxious, yes, but still stressing over a few things. I will be teaching a different curriculum in science and social studies, so that will be new again (I alternate on an every other year basis). Also, I will be teaching math to both grades this year, so am worried about how I'm going to make that work. Plus, I'm incorporating Daily 5 this year (but I'm SUPER excited about that). So well I have the same job as last year, I have a lot of new things to think about.

10. kstar03

kstar03 Companion

Aug 10, 2009

what's daily 5?

11. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Aug 10, 2009

It will be my second year, too, and I know how you feel. I have a lot in mind and very little actually planned. Knowing what to expect, though, is making me more comfortable. Last year I was doing-doing-doing and worrying because I wanted to prepare for the unknown. Now I know what to do, and need to find the energy to do it.

One thing that really discouraged me... I got a facebook email from a K/1 teacher (I'm 2/3) saying the parent one of her kids she placed with me for next year emailed to complain about getting me as a teacher. ??? Geez, thanks for sharing. :(

12. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 10, 2009

Shelly, don't let that worry you. I had a parent complain, b*tch, and moan about me (I had her kid the year before). She *finally* succeeded in getting her kid pulled out of my class - AFTER she told admin it was because I couldn't teach and her kid felt she wouldn't learn anything in my class and her child was GIFTED and SMART and I SUCK AS A TEACHER and the other teacher will UNDERSTAND her needs. So they put her in the class with her friends.

And then the state tests came around... and my students did fantastic!... and she tested below grade level in reading and got an unscorable on her writing assessment. And yes... mom waged war against the other teacher - because the fact that the kid slept through the test was *obviously* a result of poor teaching.

So sometimes... it's better to just let them talk all the crap they want.

13. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Aug 10, 2009

Thanks, Chebrutta! You have a good attitude!
    I just feel miffed that the teacher felt she had to tell me like that. No advice, nothing, just, "Did I put (student) in your room? His parents emailed they are heartbroken." Oh, thanks.

14. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Aug 10, 2009

No doubt, jeesh! :mad: I'm mad for you too! We expect crazy parents from time to time, but your co-teachers should be there for you 'cause they should know better. I agree with chebrutta. Move on - you're probably doing fine.

This will be my second year as well. Although I feel like it's my first all over again because I'll be teaching at a different school. Like most everyone else in here, I've also put off planning. And less than two weeks to go!

We need to buckle down and get to it, huh?

15. Miss Butterfly

Miss Butterfly Rookie

Aug 10, 2009

Keep Your Chin Up!

I'm so sorry you're feeling this way! If it makes you feel any better, I wasn't very excited about my second year of teaching, either. In fact, I wanted to quit around December/January of my first year!!

But for me, as time went by, I found something I was "good" at compared to the rest of the teachers I worked with--I could integrate like crazy with a computer. My work didn't go unnoticed. I had veteran teachers (including the computer teacher) coming to me for "tech help" and other related questions. For me, this was the boost of confidence that I so desperately needed. For once, I was doing something right--something that the others couldn't do.

So I guess what I'm saying is keep your chin up and look to see what your special teaching talent is. You have one--you just have to figure it out. I had no idea that what I was doing with technology in my classroom was really so impressive, but others thought it was. When you find your talent, make the most of it--use it to your advantage.

I wish you the best of luck!!

16. teachwi

teachwi Rookie

Aug 10, 2009

competative co worker

I will be returning as my second year in this position also, 5th year teaching I'm looking forward to it, but also a little nervous. As the year went by last year, I realized that my colleague is very competitive and sometimes caddy. Anything I do, she can do better. She used a lot of my ideas last year (which I love sharing, we are on the same team). We also designed our classrooms together last Spring (because we had to budget together) and came up with great ideas together which had some similarities and I'm fine with that.. except that she got her classroom set up a little faster than I did this summer and now she is calling me a "copycat" in front of other colleagues and taking my ideas as her own, like in a competition.

I have been just walking away because I don't want to sink to her level and call her out. I shouldn't let it bother me but she makes comments all the time especially in front of others. Does anybody think I should approach her because it could be a long year, if I have to hear this all the time (she says these things in a sarcastic tone with a smile all the time so that will be her response that she was kidding.) I just want to let her to get ver herself... I know I shouldn't let it bother me, but it does.. any suggestions of what and when to say?

17. 1stgradersrock

1stgradersrock New Member

Aug 11, 2009

im excited!

I am very excited! Last year was CRAZY STRESSFUL! If I made through last year without the need for medication and a shrink, this year is going to be okay. You just have to remember God put you in teaching for the greater cause...take your calling and have some faith in your station in life. Teaching is a noble cause.

18. MrsTeacher2Be

MrsTeacher2Be Companion

Aug 11, 2009

I'm about a week into my 2nd year, and it is so much better. I had stressed and stressed, literally to the point of tears, over my new assignment (same classes even though I was supposed to change, and moved to the older repeaters). I was seriously dreading it, but it really has not been that bad. I have 1 block that I've already called 10 mamas, 1 block thats eh, and 1 block that's awesome. I do have some "tough" kids (lots of tatoos, gang members, etc), but they have been nothing but polite and courteous to me. The only real behavior problems I'm having are some of the catty girls in the 1 class. Plus, since I have a few lower-level sped kids (lower than the ones I had last year) I have an inclusion teacher in 2 blocks. They are so much help! Having an extra teacher in a class of 17 kids? It rocks! Between us we can answer all of the questions so much faster and more efficiently. Good luck to all of you! It won't be as bad as you're thinking now ;)

19. outsidethelines

outsidethelines Companion

Aug 11, 2009

I just started my 2nd year, but I am at a new school. I am way less nervous than I was last year and already so much happier! Let's hope this lasts all year! :)

20. JMG11

JMG11 Rookie

Aug 22, 2009

I feel like you typed my thoughts! I feel the same way!! No energy to do it, but lots in my head!

And don't you love it when someone shares something like that? Those things should follow the same rule as "If you don't have anything nice to say..."

Anyway, it's nice to know that I'm not the only one in this boat!:dizzy:

21. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Aug 22, 2009

I think you did the right thing by walking away.

She sounds like a very insecure person. Why don't you try finding something that she does well and compliment her on it? At the same time, ignore any negative things she says or does. In fact, if you seek out ways to build her up, you might be surprised how this could change her attitude.

What I like to do, when I come across a person that I can't seem to like, is to list ten good things about them (I do this with students as well). I have to write at least ten things. I find that by doing this, my attitude towards the person changes, and I find myself now liking the person. Amazingly, the person I am writing about seems to sense that I am looking for the good in them, and their attitude changes towards me.

It sounds like a simple idea, but it is very effective, and can be life-changing.

22. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 22, 2009

I was dreading it up to the point of where I actually started working on my classroom and meeting with other teachers. I found by using what I learned my first year, talking to others, and getting my classroom organized and arranged into a NEW formation to try out, that I'm actually rather excited. :)

Something I found helpful is actually blogging about my adventures in becoming a teacher. I wrote about what went wrong and how I might try "fixing it" for next year. And I hope to continue to process of reflection and learning through out my second year of teaching.

As a few teachers have told me, you just have to get through your first year. The majority of teachers (if not all) have a pretty blah first year. You take everything you were taught in college and throw out the majority of it and then start learning what a REAL teacher does.

Take your first year to heart and realize its done and over and you can move along into better years of teaching now :)

23. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Aug 23, 2009

This is so true! I'm going into my 4th year, but during my 3 previous years, I taught 4 different grades at 3 different schools! This will be my first time going back to the same school, teaching the same grade. I'm so excited. I feel much more on the ball for this coming year than I ever have in the past.

24. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Aug 23, 2009

I was making myself ill worrying about the start of school. (There were some issues with staff in my room.)

Then my new boss sat us all down and---poof. It all went away. We all discussed what was going on and now---I'm sitting here eager for Monday and Week 2. Hehe!

I have so much more confidence this year. Whoot!

25. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Aug 23, 2009

@JMG11 :hugs:
    I mentioned the little note to my mentor teacher and she said, "I'm gonna have a word with her!" When I said, "I just said not to tell her I told you," she said, "Oh, I won't. I have ways to have a word with someone!" :)

So I spent a long day reordering my library and feel like a clog kind of passed in my energy flow. Today is a day off, swimming with my daughters and hubby and NOT going to work. Of course I have to find time to get our laundry put away and groceries into the house. Making lunches ... what a chore!

I also decided that Everyday Math in the Multiage Classroom is either a non sequitur or oxymoron (or both!). So I'm going to just jump in with grade 3 lesson 1 and see how it goes. Take that!

I hope everyone is feeling confident and NOT ill.

26. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 23, 2009

My inservice day was on Friday. Still recovering! There were far fewer new teachers than last year, but it was interesting to watch their reactions to the first day of meetings and nonsuch. The most important thing that made me feel better is that my co-teacher immediately gave me a big hug and offered strategies to make our work together run smoothly. Neither of us knew how to co-teach last year so it was TOUGH. Much happier now.

27. keekum

keekum Rookie

Aug 25, 2009

i have a lot more confidence as a second year teacher.

it's kind of like harry potter says to hermione after conjuring the patronus:

"i knew i could do it because, well, i'd already done it!"

28. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 15, 2009

Just checking in to see how all the second year teachers are doing! I am up to my eyeballs in grading and the guidance team keeps adding more students to my class. I'm up to 154 as of the last time I checked!

29. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Sep 15, 2009

154---yikes! I don't think I'd be capable of learning that many names....

Things are going pretty good here. I'm running around doing behavior observations and attending IATs like a mad-woman. :D

But I'm a lot happier at the start of this year than I was at the end of last. So hopefully things will continue to go smoothly. :)