Second Year Teachers!

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by LA/FLnewbie, Aug 15, 2008.

1. LA/FLnewbie

LA/FLnewbie Companion

Aug 15, 2008

Hello! I just wanted to throw out a "holla" for those of us who made it through that first year and are coming back for more! :2up: I know personally I am very excited to get to do it all again, and hopefully do it better this time! At the same time, I am also totally nervous about what I know is about to begin, and wondering how much I'll be able to improve.

How many of you out there are coming back for your second year? Are you at the same school, grade level, or not? What are you planning to reuse, and what are you going to update/improve? In particular, I am thinking of some of the other first-years who posted on here as "newbies" last year...how are you feeling now?!?!

Good luck to everyone, especially the first years...it is so challenging, and yet also SO worth it once you make it to the "other side"!

3. Lareigna

Lareigna Companion

Aug 15, 2008

This will be my second year. I get to stay at the same school and grade. Last year I taught LA and this year I will teach math, so I will not be able to use anything from last year. I am also nervous and excited. A few more weeks to go before I get to meet those little darlings! (LOL)

4. Darkhorse

Darkhorse Companion

Aug 16, 2008

I am coming back for my second year of teaching. I will be at the same school, but I moved from 2nd to 3rd so I have many of the same kids this year. I have a lot of great ideas to expand on what I taught the kids last year and I am a little overwhelmed again since I can't really reuse too many ideas.

I just finished the first week of school and it went really well. I already feel like I started the year way better than I did last year. Overall my kids are great, too. It is funny because all the other teachers are complaining that their kids are so immature because it is the beginning of the year and they are used to end of the year kids. But I don't feel that way because I am starting right where I left off so that kind of helps the nerves. :lol: I can't wait to get into the curriculum next week and see what my kids can do!

5. LA/FLnewbie

LA/FLnewbie Companion

Aug 16, 2008

that's cool, darkhorse! I teach 8th grade, so they're gone :( But I am so curious about how they're doing in HS! I also teach 6th LA, so I won't see them again for another year...but I am looking forward to doing a better job with them in the future (my class w/ them was a disaster last year) !

6. shelbug99

shelbug99 Rookie

Aug 16, 2008

I'm also back for a second year. But I switched schools and went from resource room to self-contained multiple disabilities. I miss my old school, my old co-workers and my old students sooooo much. I'm going to give this new school a fair try though.

7. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Aug 16, 2008

I agree its awesome to make it through the first year. Good luck to everyone this year regradless if its your first, second, or 20th. Have a good year.

8. Iluvkids

Iluvkids Rookie

Aug 16, 2008

I'm a second year teacher and mainly lurked last year. I will be in the same school but I'm moving up a grade. I'll have the same students and same subjects but obviously different content. I taught US History last year and I'll be teaching Ancient Civilizations this year. I'm kind of excited though because it's a great group of students and parents and I can make a lot of connections to the Olympics and China and the first Olympics in Olympia.

9. frogger

frogger Devotee

Aug 16, 2008

How many of you out there are coming back for your second year? This is my 2nd year teaching.

Are you at the same school, grade level, or not? I'm not at the same school but same grade level (5th).

What are you planning to reuse, and what are you going to update/improve? Keep on improving teaching techniques, using more hands on activities, get students more engaged and learnig, try not to stress out so much!

10. georgiagirl

georgiagirl Rookie

Aug 16, 2008

This is my second year back! I love it. I thought I would never make it though that first year. I have kept some things and changed others.

Good Luck to all!

11. MMRbella

MMRbella Companion

Aug 17, 2008

I'm back for my 2nd year! :) I have the same grade (1st) and I'm at the same school- yay!

This year I am doing a lot of things differently. I was hired a week before school started last year, and never really felt "organized" throughout the year, which drove me crazy. (I am type A all the way). Now that I've been through it all already, I can really get it all together.

My "resolutions" for the new school year are:

1. To not stay later than 5:00 pm (unless it's for a staff meeting, event, or activity).

2. Grade papers as soon as I get them, log them in my grade book immediately, and give them back the next day. (I let things pile up way too much last year).

12. 3littlemonkeys

3littlemonkeys Comrade

Aug 17, 2008

I felt SUCH a sense of accomplishment after getting through my first year...seems like it was just a few weeks ago, and already the summer is almost over. I am at the same school and grade level, and have some of the same students (since I have a combo, and this is the only class for that grade level; all returning students from last year are with me again).

I want to stay ahead on planning and having materials prepared, and I am going to start doing more structured independent work so I can implement guided reading and pull small groups, etc. It's going to be very challenging to stay on top of things, since I'm finishing my credential program and will be doing my portfolio and two TPA tasks (projects required by the state) between Sept and Dec. I bet the second semester will feel like a breeze, though!

13. Chevygirl97

Chevygirl97 Companion

Aug 17, 2008

My second year as well...same school/grade/room. I want to be more organized!! I'm going to try a new discipline policy and centers.

14. Ms. Kimba

Ms. Kimba Rookie

Aug 17, 2008

This will be my second year in the same school, different grade. Last year I taught fifth grade and this year they've added a middle school and I'll be teaching sixth grade science. So most of what I accumulated last year won't be useful. Maybe someday, though.

Last year was terrible in many ways, but I'm glad I survived. Unfortunately I'll be seeing many of the kids who were so difficult last year in my room again this year, but I'm optomistic because I only have to see them for one class period now and because I think my class will be hands on and a lot of fun. I am scared, but I have high hopes! I hope I am right in thinking it can only get better! Good luck everyone! :)

15. Ms. Kimba

Ms. Kimba Rookie

Aug 17, 2008

Haha! I have the same resolutions! Especially the "not staying after 5" rule. I finally stuck to that during May and June and it made a phenomenal difference in my mental health! My goal this year is to leave by 5 and then go to the gym! Work of the stress!

16. LMath85

LMath85 Companion

Aug 17, 2008

Heyy!! NICE THREAD!!

This will be my second year. I transferred to a new school, but am teaching the same classes. I have freshman algebra and sophomore geometry. Very excited. I now have a feel for the curriculum so I know what to do, what not to do, and common mistakes to point out to the kids.

Its all VERY exciting.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!!!!!

17. LA/FLnewbie

LA/FLnewbie Companion

Aug 18, 2008

I don't have a gym anymore, but I have stocked up on TaeBo vidoes -- my goal is to do one every afternoon -- Billy Blanks is just SO funny to watch, even though I feel like an idiot "kickboxing" around my living room, it puts a huge grin on my face and feels good!

Haha we should check in about that goal later on! :haha:

18. Lindzee82

Lindzee82 Companion

Aug 18, 2008

This will be my second year. I am teaching at the same school and in the same grade as last year.

19. supertaz93

supertaz93 Rookie

Aug 18, 2008

This will be my second year teaching. I taught in the 06-07 school year and took last year off to have another baby. This will be a different school district but still a small rural school. I will teach Algebra I & II, Geometry, and an advanced math class (don't know if it will be trig, advanced math, precalc, or cal).

20. am elisheva

am elisheva Rookie

Aug 18, 2008

This will be my second year as well, though I'm in a different district this time and not teaching at a 9th grade center; I'm at a real high school and teaching Algebra1 (9th) and Geometry (10th). Just about everything with me is changing...my assumptions of what the kids should know have drastically changed, my behavior management is changing a little bit at a time (picking other teachers brains for that one!), and I'm so much more organized.

This year, I am requiring notebooks of all my students and I'm also going to do more differentiated learning (I think mostly with Pair-Share or I may do a little Power Teaching)

I've got so much more freedom this year, I really need to think more about this...but I've got less than a week to go!!! Yikes!

21. teach2020

teach2020 Rookie

Aug 18, 2008

Glad we made it!

This is also my second year. I'm at the same school and grade--4th, but instead of teaching bilingual, I will be teaching regular ed. That's a huuuuuuuuuge weight lifted off my shoulders. I'm not fluent in Spanish but was hired last year, I'm pretty sure, because they were desperate and because I had minored in Spanish awhile ago.

So, I'm excited that I am now given an opportunity to see what I can really do with the kids. I haven't even cried yet!! :) (Big improvement!) I intend on focusing more on procedures this year and communicating better with parents. And I definitely don't want to stay as late this year. I joined the gym too, so want to work out my stress. This forum has/will help so much. Glad teachers are so willing to help out!

22. Chas

Chas Rookie

Aug 19, 2008

It's my third year, but my second year teaching math (and my second September, as i started in February in my "second" year). Looking forward to getting another shot at acing that first day of school!

23. Mrs.Bran

Mrs.Bran Comrade

Aug 20, 2008

This is the second year for my return to teaching. I took 9 years off to stay home with my kids. I am at the same school, but am now teaching a straight fifth instead of a 4/5 class. I have 4 returning students. So far my year is going great. I have the sweetest group of kids, and a new Activboard to play with. Life is sweeter the second time around. I am so much more relaxed. We have back to school night tomorrow night, and I am not worried about it at all. My stuff is all ready. All I have to so is straighten up my room, put on some lipstick and be ready to roll. This year is great!

24. FirstYear

FirstYear Rookie

Aug 20, 2008

This is also my 2nd year. I am in the same building but switched from 5th to 4th. I am really excited about it. I had a great year last year but it was definitely a challenge for many reasons. I know of many things that I can improve on this year and I have a lot more confidence to do it with.

The things I am going to focus on this year are behavior management and time management.

I had a great year last year, but I am looking forward to starting again and improving on past experience. I'm sure you all know exactly what I mean!

25. MissMaurie

MissMaurie Companion

Aug 24, 2008

This is my 2nd year...same school/same grade/same room...NEW STUDENTS!!! Last year's kiddos made me rethink my career choice. I am very excited about starting with a new group of kids.

The other day I was working in my room and decided that I was bored with some of my Literacy Stations...then I realized: These kids have never seen them! Who cares if I got bored with it at the end of the year? It is brand new material to these guys! I love starting over.

My goals:

Go home earlier.
    Keep a positive attitude all the time.
    Work on rules/procedures EVERYDAY at the beginning.
    Stay organized. This is mostly concerning my file cabinets, which are crammed full of everything I didn't feel like filing last year.

Good luck to everyone!!!

26. DaveF

DaveF Companion

Aug 24, 2008

This is my 2nd year of teaching. It's also my 2nd year of 1st grade. I have a much different class this year. 13 boys 7 girls. It's going to be an adventure for all of us!

27. Carebear05

Carebear05 Comrade

Aug 24, 2008

This is my second year and I am still teaching 1st grade at the same school. I am excited to begin a new year because like everyone else I know things that I want to change and do better with. There are some things that I want to change from last year that's for sure. I am a big technology person and luckily this year we will have more resources offered to us so I hope to implement technology a lot more into my classroom.

28. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Aug 24, 2008

Ooh! Lots of second year math teachers!

This is the start of my second year. I am back to teaching high school math at a new district, looks like 3 Geometry classes, 1 Algebra 1 class, and a Business Math class. Demographics are very different from last year. But I love the kids either way. Looks like my Spanish is going to improve. About half the kids are hispanic. One who came into my classroom yesterday seems to not understand a word of English.

29. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Aug 24, 2008

I start my second year on Tuesday! Two days of meetings, and then kids come on Thursday! I'm in the same grade level, same school, but totally overwhelmed by our new reading program! I had a wonderful class last year, and I have HIGH expectations for this year's crew! Have a great second year everyone! I also start graduate school this week, lots of things are happening! :)

30. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 24, 2008

This is my second year. I ended up getting to stay at the same school and grade. I actually had to sign a contract for a different grade to make sure I had a job-but I was able to move back to my job.

31. LA/FLnewbie

LA/FLnewbie Companion

Aug 25, 2008

well, tomorrow is my first day with kids!!! Ahhh I am so excited/nervous! I actually think I might be MORE nervous than lst year because I know what is coming, and I know how much I want to do better! It also feels so unreal after a long break and all the prep work to think that there will actually be KIDS in there with me tomorrow!

Wish me luck!

:2up:

32. AFWifeNGermany

AFWifeNGermany Rookie

Aug 27, 2008

The 2nd year is soooo much better! Even thought I moved schools and grades (thanks Air Force!), I feel like I have it "together" this year. Last year I was just trying to keep up, this year I can pick and choose the best things for my class.

I still need to work on going home earlier. I actually like staying...