Second Year Teacher Needs Job Advice

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by FT2012, Aug 13, 2013.

1. FT2012

FT2012 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013

I am a second year teacher with no job for the upcoming school year. Last year I taught on a temporary contract and my unit ended up being replaced with a subject area I am not certified to teach. I've been applying like crazy but haven't had a single call back or interview :confused: I am single and live on my own in a state where I have no family. I'm trying to make the best decision for my career and my bank account.

I thought about becoming a sub, it's just not enough to cover my bills and have extra money for emergencies. I have considered becoming a paraprofessional because it's a salaried position that pays more than a sub job and it offers health insurance. I have some health concerns that I would like to have monitored by doctors, so I would really like insurance. I've also considered moving back home where I have connections for jobs and I could stay with my mom for a while and work as a sub.

Has anyone been in a similar situation? Did you pick becoming a sub or becoming a para?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 3, 2013

Para sounds like the best choice for you. Check, though, to see whether those pre-existing conditions are an issue for insurance.

What's the up side to staying where you are? It sounds as though home has job connections, family support, and probably also the choice of sub/para... what's keeping you where you are now?

4. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Sep 3, 2013

If going back home will provide better opportunities along with the family support I would go back if there is nothing keeping you where you are and you think you will be happy back "home" (the area/city/town).

You can always apply to sub there as well.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 3, 2013

I think at this point, it might be better to go back home where there are more oportunities and you have the support of your mom while you sub/look for a full time job. Good luck!

6. sunshine24

sunshine24 Comrade

Sep 3, 2013

I agree with the the previous posters that going home may be the best option. I, too, do not have a full time job right now and I cannot imagine how much more difficult life would be if I did not live at home, with family support. You can always sub at home or get another job until you find something more permanent. Good Luck with your decision!

7. PlentyofJobsUSA

PlentyofJobsUSA New Member

Sep 6, 2013

I would suggest you to go back home. Staying with family can make you much more happier even if you earn less. :)

8. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Sep 7, 2013

If you cannot get a para job , going home might be the best option.

9. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Sep 9, 2013

Try finding a para job at home.