Second Year Sub...thoughts?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by mckbearcat48, Jul 28, 2016.

1. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Jul 28, 2016

Well, I butchered most of a summer job hunting (one lottery ticket left) and I'm resigning myself to a second year of being on sub lists. Basically, I think it's career suicide, but I have to play the hand I've been dealt. Is a second year of being a sub as lethal to a resume as I think? I hate it with a passion, but people get what they earn in life.

Ive done practice interviews, had HR people look over my resume and its led to another bust.

Good luck to all of you. If you have your own room, I respect the hell out of you. You are a teacher and the world needs all of you.

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jul 28, 2016

I personally don't think a second year of subbing is lethal to the resume, especially when you hear about how hard it is for education graduates to find jobs. I also don't blame you for being down about not finding the job you hoped for. Seriously, don't know where you are, but teachers get hired here even after school starts - bigger class sizes, a commitment falls through, and more than I will ever know, I am sure. Would I consider relocation? Maybe. I might look for the job in some of these hotspots of teacher need, and if the job panned out and you still owned a house elsewhere, I might get creative - rent or lease it until it sells. Just a suggestion. I wouldn't, however, throw in the towel quite yet.

czacza likes this.
  4. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Jul 28, 2016

NO, it isn't resume suicide. It's a reflection of the job market in education in your area, not on you as a teacher. Keep networking through subbing, teach to your best ability whatever the teacher left for you and make relationships with teachers and kids - some of my best sub days were the ones where I'd made an effort to reach out to the teacher to call me back if they ever needed a sub, and those were the best classes I connected with (the ones where kids walk in and see you and get really excited about the day? That's a great feeling as a sub).
    I know subbing is definitely the least ideal for you - but you can always use it to your advantage. Develop skills, tell teachers they can leave you more in-depth plans in your certification area (I subbed regularly for a pre-algebra teacher who actually had me introducing concepts after a few sub days because she knew I could teach it. She still prepared everything, but being trusted to start a unit was pretty great).
    And keep reaching out and applying for openings. Stuff comes up after the year starts - enrollment changes, teachers leave or move, babies are born... there are always opportunities throughout the year for something more permanent and steady. :)

5. Srhhwtt

Srhhwtt Rookie

Jul 28, 2016

Substituting will help your chances in getting a teaching position. For one, you will get to network and show others your teaching skills. Another reason, it will show dedication to teaching the longer you stay in the field of education. I think you mentioned in one of your posts about an employer questioning your ability to stay in teaching since your degree is in law? As you gain more experience in subbing, I really think that will reassure future employers of your likeliness to stay in this career.
    Several educators have told me they had to substitute for years before landing a position. If I did not get an offer, I would forsure be substituting. Try to stay positive and enjoy substituting. I loved the flexibility in my schedule and the variety of classrooms. That's something I'm going to miss being a full-time teacher.
    I also wanted to add on to what has already been said, plenty of schools hire last minute..so it isn't over. Just the past couple of weeks 3 schools that originally rejected me have called to offer a different position.
    Even my school has had a position open up just this week. When this happens during the school year, admin will need to fill it up quick and may look to their substitutes first.

6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 28, 2016

Is your family situation conducive to a move? If the market is anything like where I live, you could rent out your home in two seconds.

I don't know what part of the country you're in, but there's a shortage of good candidates in the southern part of Texas. I moved so I wasn't on the hiring committee but heard from some friends that they had to hire the least horrible candidate. One said she got into teaching for the schedule. While that may be true, that's not something a hiring committee needs to hear. Some teachers on the committee were actually pitching not replacing the teacher who left and just making the classes huge instead of hiring "losers" from what I've heard. That's just scary.

newteacher99 and mckbearcat48 like this.
  7. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Jul 28, 2016

I'm in the Metro St. Louis area. I am putting my house on the market soon. I am so frustrated with all the meaningless positive reviews and such...because in reality, busting my butt every day as a sub has gotten me no closer to a teaching job than I was 3 years ago when I started the education program.

I haven't been this down in awhile, but hearing how I did a "terrific" job in summer school and not even making the interview list at the district I put so much time in hurts a lot. I want to be a valuable member of their team, and I don't think I can do that in a different classroom every day.

8. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 28, 2016

Since you are planning on being able to move, I think your best bets, based on what people say here, are Las Vegas, Central Florida, and Arizona. Many of those places will hire you provisionally until you get your state certification.

Caesar753 likes this.
  9. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Jul 28, 2016

Even if you could move to the Chicago area (I think I remember you were saying you're from the St. Louis area), you may get snatched up by one of the more affluent districts. I will say that I work in one (in another area of the country) that has hired former laywers with/without experience because money is not an issue.

10. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 28, 2016

I subbed while still in school for about 2 1/2 yrs then full semester after I graduated until I got a job. It was where I did almost all my subbing. I had many teachers there cheering me on. I would say it does not look bad.

Good luck I hope you find something soon.

11. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 29, 2016

You're MO certified, too, right? Not just IL? Are you applying at ALL schools in the area? Even charters? Charters are ALWAYS hiring in St. Louis. Admittedly, they aren't great places to work, but some would say they're better than no job. They also don't follow salary schedules like regular public school districts, so the fact that you have a JD won't be a barrier. Are you looking at middle schools, too? Not just high schools?

You've got to stop being so hard on yourself. Sometimes, many times, it's not you.

otterpop likes this.
  12. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 29, 2016

I think Chicago might be a tough place right now, given the dire straits CPS is in. Obviously the suburbs are not part of CPS, but, with all of the CPS teachers looking to get out, the competition for the suburbs is more fierce.

13. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Jul 29, 2016

Two things. One, it does not look bad to sub for more than a year. It's not at all unusual in my part of the world. Two, if you can move, move. My husband and I moved last year for a job and it was rushed and complicated and annoying but so, so worth it. So worth it. We were just talking today about how much happier we are now than this time last year. Good luck with whatever you do. And try not to be so hard on yourself.

14. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Aug 2, 2016

For all y'all out there in your own rooms, keep the bar high...as for me, well...who knows?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  15. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Aug 4, 2016

A few thoughts...

Like another user said, make sure you apply to all charters, as well as private schools!

Also, you may have excellent luck if you consider moving. But I understand that's not possible for everyone.

16. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Aug 5, 2016

Well, I got an unintentional backhanded compliment at the district I want to work at...a good friend of mine used me as a reference...and when she got the call they said she had a good district reference (the lady who called for her reference knew me from baseball).

So I helped a friend get a job...maybe one day I'll get one. :)

17. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 6, 2016

I wound up subbing for three years, with small lengths of time taken out to work office jobs (usually my doctor friend's front desk). Meanwhile, I checked the Department of Education's job website twice a day and applied to every school with an ELA opening within an hour radius.

18. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Aug 6, 2016

I will echo that it is not bad to sub for more than a year. Because I had small children at the time, I subbed for five years. Keep looking, but in the meantime, embrace the flexibility that subbing provides. It may give you the time to explore a move to another area with more favorable teaching opportunities.

19. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 6, 2016

Oh, and while I was subbing in that third year, I expanded my territory to six school districts. I also made sure to have regular conversations with the principals (mostly social) so they knew who I was as a person as well as a teacher. It resulted in one interview at that district and another letter of recommendation that got me a job in another district.

20. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Aug 6, 2016

I had 10 districts last year for probably the same reason. If I'm going to have to do that, might as well do it all over the map.

catnfiddle likes this.
  21. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Aug 15, 2016

Caution: Extremely Strong Emotional Post

Well, my last good lead fizzled out, and I am in a very bad emotional state. I wasted last year as a daily and LT substitute, and with my last lead burned, I know I have to do this "job" again. I realize I don't do anything important for districts, and I really know now they don't value me.

Good luck to all of you who have a classroom...the world needs you in a big way.

22. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2016

Sorry, mckbearcat. Indulge yourself today--ice cream, wine, a long walk, a TV binge. Then tomorrow, decide that, if subbing is what's in the cards for you right now, you'll be the best they've had. Don't get stuck in thinking that, even if you start the year subbing, that's how it has to finish; I was hired for my first job a week into the school year. Keep putting yourself out there.

For what it's worth, the subs I prefer having in my room are those who have been around for a bit. The confidence and skill level of most of the experienced subs is obvious--to the teachers and the students.

Keep your head up!

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
    czacza and Caesar753 like this.
  23. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Aug 15, 2016

You didn't waste last year. You gained experience in the classroom and to the inner-workings of several schools. It now gives you the perspective to see how some schools work.

Here's my suggestion for you in addition to keep applying for jobs in your area. Spend the next few months looking to get LTS placements. Make connections with the admin in the schools you sub in to give you some advantage in your home area.

Also research areas that have teacher shortages in your subject area and apply for licenses in those states. Apply as soon as you have those licenses. I know you're in a position to potentially relocate. Why not think of this as game plan A? Places talked about here with shortages are NC, AZ, VA, TX, NV. Fill your time with researching relocation. I know you own a home, why not rent it out if you can't sell it right away?

You have options, just figure out which one is going to make you happy and productive.

Caesar753 likes this.
  24. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2016

25. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2016

Also, think of the benefits of not having your own room--no planning, no grading, no report cards, no parent phone calls, ability to take a long weekend or a holiday during the school year if you want to...;)

26. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Aug 15, 2016

I have someone coming to look at the house tomorrow after school (I'm subbing tomorrow). If that can happen, I'm gone.

Bunnie likes this.
  27. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Aug 15, 2016

Subbing sucks and I'm sorry nothing's worked out for you. As hard as it is to see right now, however, it's definitely not wasted time. The best reference I had for my current job was a teacher I worked with while doing a LTS placement. Make sure any schools you sub in know that you're interested in LTS jobs. And as I think I've said before, don't be too hard on yourself for not getting a job yet. Everyone I know spent multiple years subbing before landing a full-time job. It's the nature of the beast in some parts of the country.

Like others have said, if there's any chance you can relocate, start looking into it seriously. I moved for my current job, and I did NOT want to do it. Relocating was my absolute last resort. I'm *so* much happier though and I'm so glad we did it. I think you would probably feel the same way.

28. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Aug 15, 2016

If I was in a better mood I would probably really appreciate this more. All I know is tomorrow I put on the scarlet letter again. I do really appreciate all the positive thoughts y'all have posted...it just sucks knowing that I'm still no closer to being a teacher than I was when I started the program a few years ago...and now I have a reputation as a good sub to overcome on top of it.

Good luck to all y'all in your own classrooms.

29. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2016

Bit of a pity party going on? Your attitude about subbing will come through loud and clear, and you never know who is getting the vibe and making a judgement. Whether you get a job in any of the districts you work in or not, I see nothing productive about your attitude - sorry, it's how I see it. You can do better, I'm sure, so how about rolling with the punches without letting the whole world know how sorry you feel for yourself? Let's call this post an observation, or let's call this a wake-up call. Anyone who wants to teach full time is disappointed that a job didn't materialize, but there are schools that will still be hiring in the coming months for a variety of reasons. Why shoot yourself in the foot by sporting a pity party that no one can ignore or miss?

I think you can do better for yourself. Not everything happens on the timeline we would prefer; that truly is life. Attitude adjustment needed, or find a job in another field? The best teachers make the best of whatever situation they find themselves in. Some jobs are wonderful, some simply suck. Making lemonade out of lemons can be hard, but always worth the effort, IMHO.

bella84 and swansong1 like this.
  30. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Aug 17, 2016

Today has been pretty great...talked to my old CT who is now an AP. It was quite the conversation.

More to come later.

Bunnie likes this.
  31. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Aug 17, 2016

So onto the "more"...

My CT from 2 years ago is AP at one of the middle schools in the same district. He told me that we had to talk before school, and we did for awhile. He said that he knows I can teach and want a teaching job, but I need to prove myself more in the classrooms of the district every day. He told me about the hiring process at his school (the one I thought I had a line on)...it was an internal hire from one middle school to the other. We had a pretty frank conversation, and he was very blunt (as he was from Day 1). He said that if I wanted to really know what the district thought of my performance, I should just look around. He said that "if you are still allowed to be a substitute teacher, you are doing something well. We don't keep everyone just because they once subbed here". He said it this way: "you may not love daily subbing, but you better be good at it. There are a lot of people that would gladly take every shift you do". We talked for about 20 minutes, and I left in a better state of mind than I came in under.

He said that getting a summer school spot this year was very important and that they see potential in me as a teacher...if they didn't they would have extended me the chance and gone with one of the 300 other people who applied.

Today was a really, really good day.

32. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2016

Glad he had that talk with you, and that you listened. It's what we've been trying to tell you, but it has more credibility, I think, from someone you know and respect.

Good luck!

Bunnie and mckbearcat48 like this.
  33. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Aug 17, 2016

So it's no longer a "scarlet letter" but rather a "badge of honor".

34. teacherin2014

teacherin2014 Rookie

Aug 19, 2016

Please stop being so high and mighty. Although it must be hard being as perfect as you are, mckbearcat48 has every right to his/her feelings and I do not see how he/she is having a pity party. I am in a similar situation and have certainly had my share of ups and downs. After working so hard in college, student-teaching, and subbing (both regular and 2 LTS positions), and still not getting your own classroom, it is a huge blow. While you are setting up your classroom for another year, please take a moment to think of the people who so desperately want and deserve to be doing the same thing, but have not gotten that chance yet. When they wake up in the morning, instead of going to work with their own students in their own classroom, they are usually wondering if they are even going to get called to sub that day. Put yourselves in others' shoes and do not minimize their feelings and circumstances.

luv2teach444 and newteacher99 like this.
  35. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 19, 2016

Subbing is an excellent training / proving ground. I'm glad your CT had a good conversation with you. I'm REALLY glad you've decided to dive in again. Students deserve a quality education every day. You are more than a placeholder if you're doing it right, and administrators WILL take notice.

phillyteacher likes this.
  36. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 19, 2016

I didn't get this impression about PP. Like, not at all. From what I've seen, she has consistently offered a lot of great, helpful, and compassionate advice. I think that what she said here was more about pulling yourself up by your bootstraps and moving forward. It's got a "tough love" vibe, but I don't think that it's harsh or elitist at all. Rather, I think that you are projecting.

37. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Aug 19, 2016

I realized from the hiring process this year that I had more to do and more to prove. The first day of school was really difficult, and learning that a job where I got 3 recommendations from teachers went elsewhere made me question substituting even more. That said, the past doesn't change but the future does. I also have used the "scarlet letter" idea as motivation: if I don't want to wear it, I need to earn the right to get one of the "real" badges from a school. I'm on lunch from a SPED sub job now, and I figure the best chance I have is to be better than perfect every day I'm in a classroom. Nothing less than that will do.

Good luck to all y'all as you embark on your journey.

38. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 19, 2016

I LOVED subbing in SpEd classes. Seriously. Small groups and individual work is my specialty because of my subbing time, and now I'm working in a school that values it. You never know what skills you'll learn.

39. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 19, 2016

Please stop being so high and mighty. Although it must be hard being as perfect as you are, Teacherin2014

Wow, from your mouth to my supervisor's ear! Subbed a lot of years, didn't get the jobs I wanted, took the jobs I got. Worked pretty d*** hard to get to where I am today, and still working on improving myself. If you read all of the posts in this and the venting thread, you would know that while I feel bad for every teacher candidate who can't seem to find the job they yearn for, I realize that as a candidate, if you are going back into the school to sub - whatever, you better have your act together. How we roll with the punches often does more to impress than a formal interview. Since you appear to have been out of school a couple of years, I would have thought you would have noticed that.

Personally, I think mcbearcat has great potential, which I have said in other posts. Down in the mouth for the whole world to see will not further his chances of employment. The ultimate goal is a classroom of his own, and I am pretty sure if you ask him, he will say that he has a better outlook and higher morale now than a couple of days ago. It wasn't my post that changed his outlook, but I am pretty certain that his attitude has been adjusted. I was very honest that I was reacting to his down at the mouth, woe is me post. You can come here and vent, moan and carry on all you want. OP has worked hard to get to a better place, IMO, and I just called it as I see it. You can say you don't agree with my assessment, but you don't get to be nasty when, in reality, you don't even know me.

40. newteacher99

newteacher99 Rookie

Aug 19, 2016

I ignore a few members for that reason. They seem to think that they are so much better than us "slackers". I have worked very hard as well, have multiple certs, masters degree(s), etc. but no permanent job yet. My age is probably a factor. I could have become a teacher out of college but I CHOSE to pursue a better paying and more exciting career and I am paying for it now. This is why I ignore them.

41. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 19, 2016

You don't know me, either. Old enough to retire if I hadn't had to wait for my son to graduate. Alternate route, certs and masters, yes, because I go to school constantly. At least you had a better paying job - I had to sub because I am the mom of an individual who was classified by 18 months of age, and I pretty much became a full time teacher, reteaching him every night in a way he could understand. Do I resent that time lost? No, but now that I work with a totally ED/BD population, I know that I will be here long term simply because ageism is alive and well. Do I crusade about it? No.

Now, as far as that young man that I nurtured and taught, 7 years after graduating with his BA, and another 1.5 years after graduating with his masters, he got 3 offers today, in VA to teach ESL. I think I know a thing or two about what perseverance, depression, rejection, and pity parties look like. I did not tell mcbearcat anything that I haven't told my son over the years, as he would go back and sub in a district that had just rejected him for a full time position. The one word I have never used on this forum is slacker, so you must have me confused with someone else. Good luck in your job hunt - VA seems to be hiring, as is NM, Nevada, and maybe AZ. I should know - I have filled out or mailed hundreds of applications in the last 7 years. My son chose to relocate, which many can't do. That was the single factor that made this summer have a different outcome.