Second Thoughts

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by funshine2381, Jul 25, 2010.

1. funshine2381

funshine2381 Companion

Jul 25, 2010

I'll know this week if I got the job for a position I interviewed for last week. I've been going through a lot lately, and I decided to apply to a school 8 hours away. The thought of getting away from this area and starting totally over appealed to me....until I got a call for an interview. I would have absolutely NO friends or family in that area. I'm not sure if I should go or not. Guess I need to put on my big girl panties and just do it. What would you do?

3. clovermeg

clovermeg Rookie

Jul 25, 2010

I'd go for it! I've done it before, as a single mom to an infant...and, yes, it was scary, at first. But, it was completely liberating and I'd do it again! In fact, if I don't get a job this fall...I'll be putting my plans together and pack up and move out next summer!!! You'll be fine!

4. funshine2381

funshine2381 Companion

Jul 25, 2010

Thank you! I'm a single mom as well. The thought of not having my family around for my son is kind of scary. I'm going to sleep on it.

5. ladybug3

ladybug3 Rookie

Jul 25, 2010

Taking a job 8 hrs away

I just took a new job in public school after working in private for almost ten years. My children have graduated from there, my little ones were beginning kindergarten and I had some really great friends there. Now I am just sick about starting over with new job, new people and new schools for my children. I think I made the right decision for all of us but I am kinda sad and anxious.:eek:

I don't know what to tell you. If I were a single person and could pack and go, I probably would. I would be nervous too. What I am trying to say is you really just need to think about what you truly want out of the job so far away. It would be a great new start! Way to grow as a person and a teacher! And, you could move back if it just wasn't for you. I say take an interview and see what it feels like. I literally have to see how it "feels" at a school when I interview. This school felt right so I proceeded on. Sounds strange I know. I will be thinking about your decision! Keep us posted!

6. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Jul 25, 2010

First of all jobs are hard to come by and I don't know your situation but if it were me, I'd go. I moved to this area last year and knew no one. Granted I moved with my husband and children but that was it. You will make friends...think of this as an adventure.

BUT don't stress yourself out yet since you don't even know you got the job yet.

7. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Jul 25, 2010

Are you trying to decide if you should take the job or the interview?

8. funshine2381

funshine2381 Companion

Jul 25, 2010

The interview. I basically just picked a spot on the map and applied there. I've never even been to that city. I will definitely have to bust out the GPS if I decide to go. I wasn't really expecting a call, but of course they did. Now, I really need to think about getting in my car and driving that far...alone.

9. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Jul 26, 2010

I would go to the interview with the idea that not only are they interviewing you but you are also interviewing them. You can get to know a bit more about the place and the school and see if its a good fit for you. Even if you get offered a job you still have a choice to take it or not.

When I started teaching I moved 12 hours away from home to a place where I knew no one (and only got the job 3 days before the year started so it was a rushed panic mess). It was the best thing I ever did.

I'm also a single mom and 4 years ago I picked myself and my son up and moved to another town where I didn't know anyone. It was a great move and I'm very happy here.

I figure it can't hurt anything to go to the interview.

10. nogenrewriter

nogenrewriter Companion

Jul 26, 2010

Don't think too far ahead. You can't lose anything by just going to the interview (except gas money :) ).

11. collteach

collteach Comrade

Jul 26, 2010

Some of the best things I have done in my life involved getting OUT of my comfort zone! Although I am not a "single" mom, I have spent about 3 years of the last 6 years raising my children "alone". My husband is military and has been deployed several times, and we live 11 hours from family. I had full-time teaching jobs, managed to go to graduate school, etc....all without a regular support system. I think trying something new and different, and doing it on your own can be an awesome thing! I would go for the interview...you don't have to accept a position. However, you may get there and fall in love with the area and the school :) Good luck!

12. funshine2381

funshine2381 Companion

Jul 26, 2010

Thank you all for your replies. I'm going to go for it! :)

13. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Jul 26, 2010

Good luck with the interview funshine :).

I just read your other post about cancelling though... is this the one you're cancelling?