second round

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by mitten, Aug 18, 2007.

1. mitten

mitten Rookie

Aug 18, 2007

Monday will be my second interview with an elementary school. The first interview was just between the principal and myself. She was very encouraging and told me at the end of the interview that she couldn't figure out why I didn't have a job yet. (that was nice of her :) ) She called me the next day and asked me to come back to interview with a panel of teachers. However, she did tell me that she doesn't know if there is a position yet...but when she gets the go-ahead she wants to have a candidate ready. (This is for 6th grade science and social studies.) I'm not sure how I feel...would she really be going through this long process if she wasn't pretty sure there would be a job?
    Anyway, I didn't feel I did particularly well in my first interview. There were a few questions that I felt like I sort of fumbled over. I'm assuming I would be asked similar questions on Monday. Maybe the experts have some advice. -I've only ever been interviewed for two positions in two summers. This is my second second interview for a 6th grade position. The pressure is on to perform when you live in the teacher-flooded state of Michigan.
    Questions: (well, maybe not exactly what they asked, but basically)
    How do you accommodate reading level discrepancy in your classroom? --especially for a subject like social studies where the text book is often written above their reading level.
    How do you deal with a student who chronically does not complete their work?
    Maybe those were the only two that I didn't feel I had enough to say.
    I apologize for the long post...never again will I say so much. This is just the first one to get my foot in the door. :blush:

3. MrsCase

MrsCase Rookie

Aug 18, 2007

welcome mitten! Congratulations on the interview (and the other interview!!) Don't be discouraged. It sounds like the principal really liked you, so she will probably push for you to get the job if a position is open. I have found that its not all that uncommon for principals to not be completely sure if they have openings yet. They might have had a teacher tell them that they were planning on resigning this year but have not yet handed in their official letter of resignation, or they might have someone that was hired but then something weird happened when they were reviewing the person's license or transcripts or whatever. There could be a million reasons. I went through a similar situation when I was being hired this year. In fact, I was offered a job the day I was leaving for vacation and I was so excited all week, I couldn't wait to come home. Well by the time I had come home, another teacher submitted an internal application for that same job and because of this district's contract, they have to consider internal applicants whenever they apply as long as an external person has not already signed a contract! So it was frustrating, but I ended up getting another position within the same school because the principal was adamant that she wanted me on her staff, so it all worked out! Anyway, about those questions, here's what I would say if it were me:

1-The texbooks are one resource for learning. It is true that many textbooks are not written exactly on grade level, however there is already such a vast difference in reading ability levels within any classroom, that it is necessary to differentiate instruction no matter what resource you are using. I would choose pieces of the text to read together and then allow students to read more appropriate sections, if possible, individually or with a partner, and discuss vocabulary and such along the way.

2-(This one I have had experience with regarding homework, and here's what I did) I once had a student who just could never get their homework done. The regular classroom consequences were not changing the behavior of the student (ie. if you dont turn in homework you lose recess, or whatever) so I sat him down and had a talk one day, just asking him why he did not turn in his homework. He said that sometimes he just forgot and sometimes he didn't want to do it, so he just left it in his bookbag and told his mom he didn't have any homework that night. I told him that I was going to discuss the problem with his mom to see if we could figure out a plan. I called his mother and we talked. She was just believing her son when he said he had no homework and was shocked to know that he had not been completing it. We decided together to set up a communication notebook to be sent home and back every single night along with whatever homework assignment we had. If there really was no homework, I would write her a note saying so, so her son would be "caught" telling the truth. She provided a certain reward (I dont remember what it was but she was going to take him somewhere special) if he brought the notebook home every day and completed every homework assignment for a month. It worked really well because he knew he was not getting away with anything any longer! That's just how we handled that one specific situation.
    hope that helps!

4. mitten

mitten Rookie

Aug 19, 2007

Thank you. I think I'm doubting myself. I more or less said the same things you have said here. So thank you for reassuring me. I'm attempting to prepare for round two, so we'll see how it goes.