Second round interview results

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by TemperanceFaith, Jul 24, 2008.

1. TemperanceFaith

TemperanceFaith Comrade

Jul 24, 2008

I think it went as well as the first interview, though this time the questions were definitely tougher.

They were what I would expect them to ask a teaching candidate rather than a teaching assistant candidate.

The questions were:

You are working with a 3rd grader one on one. This student has a history of constantly leaving the room either to the nurse, the bathroom, and on one occasion, tried to leave the school grounds. How do you handle this?

I answered: "The first thing you have to address is what is causing the student to want to leave in the first place...is it boredom? Or does that student use it as an avoidance tactic...not being in the room allows them not to have to admit they are not grasping something. There could also be other issues, especially in the case of the nurse; there could be issues at home, etc..but in every case, you have to find out the source, either by talking to the parents or the child directly, and then work on the solution.
    I also said you could use humor and redirection to keep the student on task with you, rather than wanting to leave all the time...that an engaged student wants to be in class.

The second question was: You overhear two 4th graders arguing..they have been arguing off and on for the past week, and then you hear one of the students tell the other "I am going to beat you up after school" what do you do?

My response: "4th grade is a tough age. Kids are past the tattle tale stage, and won't usually come to the teacher out of fear of being labeled a tattle tale, so you have to find a way to talk to both students without them thinking one or the other has tattled. You can take them both aside separately and tell them that you could not help but notice that they have not been getting along, and ask if something happened. If you think it is warranted, you could also get them together to talk about it with you; some of the things they fight about are really silly, and if they have a chance to really think about it, they can find the humor and forget why they were angry. If this does not help, then you might want to consider bringing it to the parents attention.
    I also mentioned that peer mediation programs are also a great way to get kids to work out their own solutions; sometimes they will say things to their peers they would not say to us; this school does not have a peer mediation program, and they said they would love to hear more about it.

The next question applied to the aide position: You are approached by a parent who tells you that they hate the teacher, and that they think their child is being treated badly in the classroom, and you aren't happy with the competency, etc. How do you handle this?

I said, "As an aide, I would tell the parent " I definitely hear your concerns, but as the aide in this class, I think you should talk to the teacher directly, as this is her classroom, and ultimately an issue between the two of you." I would not "gossip" or otherwise be the go between. Because I am part of a team, and the ASSISTANT, not the teacher. Now if I had seen something; the teacher being overly harsh to this student; if I thought the parent had valid concerns, I would gently talk to the teacher in a way that did not make he or she feel defensive, and let them know the parents are concerned and asked my opinion.

The next one was : You are working in a special education classroom with a teacher and another aide. You begin to notice that the other aide does not pull her wait or do anything; she sits back and lets everyone else handle the issues in the classroom. How do you handle this:

I said: We have all been in this situation, from working on group projects in college where one person does all the work, to in the workplace, etc. It is an unfortunate side to human nature. While I have always been the person to do all the work, and have never felt bad about it, because I know it will get done, it is also important to work as a team, especially in the classroom. I think I would first try being subtle, " Susie needs some help, and you are so good with her, I love to see how you handle her..could you work with her today?"

Or, " I am up to my elbows in alligators and could really use your help" Try not getting them on the defensive, showcase their positives..even if you might not think they have any, FIND ONE!

If the subtle tactic does not work, then you might have to have a meeting of the minds, and discuss how you could all share the load more effectively. Again, you have to watch your words and not get anyone on the defensive.

If this does not work, then it is time to call in the big dogs, and let your admin work with everyone. Especially in teaching, it is important to stay on one focus, because the students are what is at stake. Not working together for the common goal only hurts them.

So..thoughts?
    He said that he was going to call all my references today, and he would have an answer for me no later than tomorrow.

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 24, 2008

I think those are some great answers! Keep us updated on what happens!

4. brandi0718

brandi0718 Comrade

Jul 24, 2008

Great replies! Good Luck.....

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 24, 2008

Those are great answers..the best ones are the ones from your heart, the ones that jive with who you are as an educator...I can't imagine them not hiring you...:p

6. TemperanceFaith

TemperanceFaith Comrade

Jul 24, 2008

He emailed my previous college professor, now a good friend!! He said "____ is the finalist for a position at our school. I would love to speak to you at your convenience and share your thoughts about _____.

She wrote a lovely reply to him.

:D

I am starting to get excited. I am afraid to get too excited, but the butterflies are having a field day in my stomach.

7. MarshNConsMom

MarshNConsMom Rookie

Jul 24, 2008

It sounds like everything is falling into place. Those are wonderful responses you gave :)

8. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 24, 2008

That's awesome. Your in the home stretch!!

9. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 24, 2008

Sounds like you have a really good chance at this position! Good luck; I hope you hear some good news soon!

10. merigold78

merigold78 Cohort

Jul 24, 2008

i LOVED your answers!! :) i have always heard it's an excellent sign when they start contacting references. my fingers & toes are crossed for you!!!

Meri