second interview for teaching job

Discussion in 'General Education' started by joealee, Jun 18, 2018.

1. joealee

joealee Rookie

Jun 18, 2018

So, I had an interview for a social studies teaching job last week (Principal and four other teachers/staff present). I was called today and made an appointment to come into the district office Wednesday for a "second interview". Now, they called it a second interview, but I'm wondering exactly what it is. It's a big, city district, so they have a separate building for administrative/HR type things. and this is where they want me to go.

I will be meeting with an Administrator Assistant (no teachers or other staff). They want me to bring my official transcripts, passport or license/SS card. I had already provided five references last week (three were contacted). I think I interviewed well, and in the back of my mind I'm kind of excited (if they want this info and no superintendent/principal will be there) do I pretty much have the job locked up (ie: will this "second interview" be a job offer?) I hope so, and wondering if anyone else has been through a similar process.

3. pommom

pommom Comrade

Jun 18, 2018

That is odd they told you to bring your paperwork for employment without extending an offer.

4. joealee

joealee Rookie

Jun 18, 2018

I should also mention that this is for my first teaching job (I've been an instructional TA for 2 years at a different district).

5. joealee

joealee Rookie

Jun 18, 2018

This is what seems odd to me. Maybe they haven't done the background/fingerprint check yet? Also, it is a very large district, so it may be possible they want to slot me into one of the three open social studies jobs in the district, not necessarily the one I interviewed for. Not sure. Also, who usually makes the job offers? Is it the principal or someone from HR in a big district. Just trying to piece together the puzzle. I was a TA in a very small rural district--much different.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  6. joealee

joealee Rookie

Jun 18, 2018

Also, just searched the person I am meeting with. She is an Administrative Assistant for HR at the district. No teachers or school administrators. Is this a good sign that I've made it through the difficult part? Sorry for the posts--nervous but excited at the same time!

7. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jun 18, 2018

It sounds to me like you are getting the job. It's probably an interview only in the sense that they need to verify your paperwork before they can officially make an offer. Some big districts do things in strange ways... Every district is different though, so it's hard to make a generalization about one big district based on others.

joealee likes this.
  8. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jun 18, 2018

Definitely keep applying/interviewing elsewhere until you know for sure, but it sounds like they may be just checking everything out and then asking you to sign paperwork. The things you mentioned that they asked you to bring are typical of what I've been asked to bring when I've already been hired and I'm signing tax and insurance forms.

It does seem odd though; I wonder why they didn't just tell you that you were getting the job or at least that you were the "top candidate" and needed to go through this formality thing? If they are asking you to bring that stuff so you can sign something, that seems odd too. What if someone wants time to think about an offer?

Now I'm curious, so keep us posted!

joealee likes this.
  9. ssgirl11

ssgirl11 Companion

Jun 20, 2018

I would go in with no expectations, but that is a good sign! Good luck! :)

10. joealee

joealee Rookie

Jun 20, 2018

I got the job! The official job offer was made by the head HR person for the district. Like I mentioned I had interviewed 2 weeks ago, went well. I was asked today to bring ID, transcripts and fill out the application. During the first interview process I had never filled out an application---I think this may have been the formality. So I get there with my application filled out. HR assistant gives it to the head of HR. I wait about 5 minutes, then head of HR offers me job, paperwork to sign etc...
    I'm thinking they may have had to check things out on my TEACH acct/fingerprints..
    I'm just happy to get hired!

bella84 likes this.
  11. ssgirl11

ssgirl11 Companion

Jun 20, 2018

Yay, congrats! Welcome to the wonderful world of social studies! :)

Leaborb192 and joealee like this.
  12. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jun 20, 2018

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    joealee likes this.
  13. joealee

joealee Rookie

Jun 20, 2018

Yes. Good old NY: "we only accept applications through OLAS" and make sure your TEACH account is up to date!

Leaborb192 likes this.
  14. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jun 21, 2018

joealee likes this.
  15. txbelle

txbelle Rookie

Jun 21, 2018

Congrats on getting the job! :)

joealee likes this.
  16. joealee

joealee Rookie

Jun 21, 2018

I agree that it's convenient, but I never had an interview from applying via OLAS, unless I already knew someone in the district.
    This job I just got was the district I did my student teaching in. My mentor teacher is now an AP in the district (not the same school I was hired in), and another teacher in the district was a reference. I think these things did play an important part in my getting the job. Note: I am Social Studies certified, maybe Science, Math, SPED & Foreign Language teachers (high need subjects) have better blind luck on OLAS.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  17. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jun 21, 2018

joealee likes this.
  18. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Jun 23, 2018

These urban districts will take anyone with a pulse. Don't be nice! No smiling, no second chances! Work on projecting your voice - you may have to yell. Some classes have to be scared into compliance.

19. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 24, 2018

Or make them do push ups.:rolleyes:

20. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Jun 25, 2018

I got hired an urban district and I smiled in my interview.

I student taught in an urban district and I never yelled at my students or "scared them into compliance." They still listened to me.

I'm not sure where you are getting your information from...

joealee likes this.
  21. joealee

joealee Rookie

Jun 25, 2018

Agreed. I also find Milsey's statement that "these districts will hire anyone with a pulse" slightly offensive. I have encountered some of the best, most dedicated, hardest working educators in urban districts.

22. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jun 26, 2018

She’s actually not that far off. I just read an article in an ASCD journal that quoted a principal from a rural district saying that the number one thing he looks for in candidates is if they have a heartbeat, because they have such a hard time filing positions. I would imagine that some urban districts have a similar problem.

That said, you’d both be wise to ignore Milsey. Look up her post history if you’d like. This is par for the course.

23. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2018