Second Grade?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by giraffe326, May 22, 2009.

1. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 22, 2009

I have the option to move down to 2nd grade (from 5th) and I think I am going to do it. Has anyone done this move before?
    I can not say anything at school or my P will kill me, and I have a few questions a few of you might be able to help me with.
    What should I expect of 2nd graders? What is the curriculum like (I know it varies, but the basics)
    What are some 'must haves' that I will need to buy?
    Thanks!

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 22, 2009

I liked teaching 2nd! They can be a bit needy and dependent on you, but towards the end of the year, they are so cool! :)

4. oldfashioned

oldfashioned Comrade

May 22, 2009

I used to teach 5th and 6th grades before I became a 1st and then a 2nd grade teacher, In our school, the 2nd grade focus is literacy, literacy, literacy. Make sure those second graders can READ and COMPREHEND. Second graders are teacher/adult-oriented which differs from older kids who are very peer-oriented. It will be a "culture shock" at first, but I think you'll love the second graders. Many elementary teachers think second is the best grade to teach.

5. shortee

shortee Companion

May 23, 2009

I taught 5th grade for 4 years before moving down to second this year. I never imagined I would like 2nd grade but I do. It's been very different but great. I think the biggest thing is that I got so used to having older students who could work independently but it took until around midyear for my second graders to do this.

I think the most important thing is to take the time at the beginning of the year to not only go over procedures but to PRACTICE them. I mean practice lining up, practice what they do when they come in in the morning...practice everything!!!
    2nd graders want to please their teacher but they need to be taught and reminded exactly what you expect of them.

Some of the things I've found that my kids love to do this year...they love to have a good chapter book read to them, they love any kind of bingo, magic school bus videos, word searches, educational computer games, doing research...2nd graders love to learn, they love to play and they love their teachers. You can't help but love them back!!!

6. queenie

queenie Groupie

May 23, 2009

I taught 5th grade last year and LOVED it, then I got a job teaching 2nd grade this year. I absolutely hated the first weeks of school. I thought the kids were pretending to be so clueless or something...you have to break everything down for them and explain EVERYTHING! They tattle all the time. They talk all the time. They blurt out everything that comes into their heads. They cry. They lick their desks and put their hands down their pants. They sit on their knees and fall out of their seats. They pick their noses. They tear up erasers and play with the teeny tiny little pieces. They show you every cut and bruise and let you know when their toe hurts or their ear is sore or their shoes are too tight. They beg you to take their temperatures every day and bring you bloody teeth. They lie. A few can't tie their shoes. They go to the bathroom A LOT. They lose things A LOT. They come up to your desk just to show you that a Spelling word is in their latest chapter book...or to give you a hug. They bring you flowers they picked from the schoolyard. They ask to sharpen pencils or pass out papers or turn off the lights or turn on the computers. They draw flattering pictures of you doing amazing things. The pictures say things like, "You are NOT old and NOT fat and NOT mean!" They write you notes and leave them on your desk. They surprise you by being nice to the new kid who has no friends. They carry your tray back to the cafeteria for you. They tell you your frizzy dirty hair looks pretty today. They compliment the shirt you got at Goodwill. They tell you you are the best teacher ever. They smile with a light in their eyes that makes you wish YOU were in 2nd grade again. They get excited over the tiniest things. They tell you cool jokes. They ask about your family. They want to eat lunch with you even on your crabbiest day. And if you're not careful, when you're not looking, they steal your heart...DO IT!

7. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 23, 2009

:toofunny:
    I think I am looking for a bit of that. I am sick of my 5th graders who only care how cool they look and how crazy they can drive me.

8. janlee

janlee Devotee

May 23, 2009

Why are you unable to talk about this at school? You should be speaking with any other second grade teacher at your school. They are the ones who can guide you. They'll be the ones to show you what the curriculum is, the texts that are used, and tell you what techniques they use that are most helpful. This way you could possibly meet with them over the summer or at least get the materials you will be using. Our new second grade teacher for Sept. will be shadowing each second grade teacher in our school. There are three of us. She at least will get a feel for the grade and hopefully pick up a lot of ideas to incorporate into her new classroom.

9. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 23, 2009

I presume she can't let the cat out of the bag yet. My school is the same way.

10. shortee

shortee Companion

May 23, 2009

Great post, giraffe. So very true.;)

11. Arky

Arky Comrade

May 24, 2009

I was told Friday by another teacher that she "heard" I was being moved to second grade from third. First, I had requested 2nd in the past because they do not do the Benchmark testing, but I thought I would have the choice. I am not sure how I feel. I have taught 2nd many years ago. They made me laugh but were so young. 4th was my ideal grade but they take the Benchmark also and I am so tired of 14 focus tests per year that are discussed and examined by the admin, then a week long test in the spring that the kids have to write and write and write.

12. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

May 24, 2009

I have taught 5th grade. I taught 3rd for years. Then I moved to 2nd grade. I have to say, I love 2nd grade. Queenie really hit the nail on the head with her description.

I wouldn't trade 2nd for anything!

Be prepared though -- coming from 5th this will be a big shock -- at the beginning of the year, when you tell them to read quietly at their desk, they will all read outloud!!!! (Beginning 2nd graders typically haven't transitioned to silent reading yet.) It is hysterical! And for some reason, they seem to think the louder they read, the better job they are doing! Now that takes some getting used to! :)

13. tiffharmon2001

tiffharmon2001 Comrade

May 24, 2009

Oh my goodness...well put. Almost had to get the tissues. :rolleyes:

14. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 24, 2009

Because we are losing a position and that person has not been informed. Plus, if I move to 2nd, someone has to move to 5th. We have a HUGE gossipping problem at my school. I am going to go observe one of the teachers next week, but it has to be secretly.

She is going to announce all the changes on the last day of school (or first workday). So, I will be free to talk all I want then!

15. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

May 24, 2009

I would do it!!

16. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 24, 2009

Well, I ST first and I have an early ed endorsement. So, this is not exactly uncharted territory for me. It is just forgotten territory ;)
    Part of me wants to do it, and then I start thinking and get doubts. I think I am going to do it. I think I knew that the minute she said she wanted me to go down. I just need a little reassurance I guess!

17. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

May 24, 2009

Just think - no EOG's!!

I would go simply because, like someone mentioned, they're more teacher-centric, rather than peer-centric...what a concept!

I don't want to sound like I'm unhappy with my 5th graders, but I'd make the move if I was asked :)

18. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 24, 2009

Pisces, I completely understand. I am just getting good at 5th grade, and I may move. I like a LOT of things about 5th grade. However, I would be so happy to leave all the snarky comments behind. I know 2nd graders are no angels, but they are sweet at least some of the time!
    And the no-EOG thing is sounding very nice. Even though my scores are MILES better this year! (Science anyway, I won't know reading and math until Tuesday).
    I really think I belong in about 3rd. 2nd is closer than 5th! There is no room in 3rd- actually, a 3rd grade teacher is being moved to 2nd as well due to low 3rd grade numbers. I am very good friends with the teacher moving down, so part of me wants to move just to work with her, opposed to my current team who talks over top of me and brushes me off when they do listen....

19. frogger

frogger Devotee

May 24, 2009

Just for the fact that it sounds like a better team in 2nd grade would make me want to move as well. I have a current team (5th grade) too that has a dominant person who does the same thing - talks over not just me but others, her ideas are the best and only ones, etc.

I would do it Giraffe!!

20. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 24, 2009

Oh, the Evil One of the entire school is on 2nd grade. She is forbidden to do mandatory after school duties :confused: because of her evil ways. But, I think my P is trying to over ride her with 3 young teachers who are the polar opposite from she. I LIKE my team now as people, but not as coworkers, if that makes sense. I am sick of not having a voice.
    I know there will be a lot of 3 vs 1 wars if I move, but, luckily, I will be on the team with 3 and the backing of our P :)

21. janlee

janlee Devotee

May 24, 2009

Thanks for the clear up. Our contract states that all teachers must receive their assignments by June 1st. It was earlier but our union pushed for the later date in case someone wanted to request a change and they had to meet with administrators to discuss it.

22. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

May 24, 2009

We just got our assignments for next year on Friday. It took us all by surprise, because no one was moved last year, unless they had requested it and a space was open.

This year, almost everyone was moved! Bascially, one experienced teacher was left at each grade level, and everyone else was moved. It was quite a shake-up. Most teachers were okay with it, but there are some who are very unhappy -- especially ones that were moved from 1st to 5th or from K to 4th.

I guess a shake-up can be good, but we just had one two years ago (90% of the teachers were moved), so it came as a real surprise.

I was one of the fortunate ones who was left in my grade level to help develop the new team. I'm very happy about that, because I really like 2nd. But I also understand that I am hired as a "teacher" and they can put me where-ever they want.

In this economy, I'm just happy that I have a job, and that we didn't lose a single first year teacher due to layoffs.

23. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 24, 2009

This was my P's second year at my school. Last year, only two people changed grade levels and that was due to a number shift, but 95% of us switched rooms. She rearranged everything.
    This year, we know that we will only have 20 teachers next year, down from 22. One is retiring and the other will be transferred to another school. Originally, two were to be transferred, but our numbers changed and they are letting us keep one. That is why my P has not announced everything yet- it keeps changing.

Through this whole thing, I have been trying to fly under the radar. Just a month ago, she said she thought of changing my grade level, but decided to leave 5th grade alone. Now, she asks if I want to move. This makes me wonder if our information from the county changed again.

I just want it to be all over!

Oh- if I change grade levels, I will be changing rooms again. Back to the building I was in last year in the room next to my old one. The room is WAY bigger, but I don't want to move everything again. Of course, if I change grade levels, most of the stuff will have to come home and be swapped with my early elementary stuff I have piled in the garage. *sigh*

24. frogger

frogger Devotee

May 24, 2009

At least you've heard something from your P and county - my P just gave us a speech about not wanting to tell us all because it will just make us worry however there is the news, etc., and I've heard of the proposed teacher cuts so I'm wondering what she does know and not wanting to tell anyone until after school is out/kids are gone...

*sigh*

25. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

May 24, 2009

I think that you should do it; it sounds like your principal really wants you to move to second grade and that you would have a pretty good grade level team (except for that one teacher). And at least your principal knows that the one second grade teacher is a problem. Good luck with your decision!

26. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 24, 2009

My county got rid of all the 'double dippers' and with retirements, that took care of all the positions that we needed to cut with out actually cutting a regular teacher. My P is a bit TOO honest- she started talking about this in February and all of us have been on edge since!

Before anyone asks, 'double dipping' occurs when a retired teacher was hired back on to teach when there was a teacher shortage in NC a few years ago. These teachers are receiving their pension plus their salary- essentially getting paid double.

27. SpaceAngel

SpaceAngel Comrade

May 24, 2009

This made me cry a bit.