Second Grade Science Center

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by lolabear1, Aug 7, 2008.

1. lolabear1

lolabear1 Rookie

Aug 7, 2008

Hi! I'm a first year teacher who was hired for fifth grade in June but found out last week I will be teaching second grade now. School starts Monday, so I don't have much time to prepare. I really want to have a small science center in my room with different objects for the students to look at/manipulate/observe. My school only gave me $100 and that's long gone, so I want this stuff to be cheap. However, I'm willing to put in the time and effort to make it decent. What kinds of items do you suggest?

3. gab

gab Comrade

Aug 7, 2008

As it's close to fall you could do items that are being harvested...apples(sliced open), corn(they can look at the cob, the silk, the texture of the husks), leaves(those still green and those starting to change), pinecones, etc. Don't know if that's what you were thinking or not...good luck!

4. Touchthefuture

Touchthefuture Comrade

Aug 7, 2008

gab had some great suggestions. You may also want to use school items that they will now begin to use such as pencils, crayons, paper, books, etc. and do a matter observation

5. amyt682

amyt682 Comrade

Aug 8, 2008

birds nest- for observation only-
    different types of seeds
    fossils
    i bought u shaped magnets from the dollar general for a dollar and supplied different metal and non metal objects

6. donnaleecam

donnaleecam Rookie

Aug 11, 2008

mealworms

I keep mealworms to show the life cycle. Very low maintenence, they live in cornmeal and I put a slice of potato in every week or two. No cleaning! Students like them.(they don't crawl out, I have used a round glass fish bowl, now I have a rectangle plastic terrarium type container.

7. amyt682

amyt682 Comrade

Aug 12, 2008

where do you buy mealworms?

8. donnaleecam

donnaleecam Rookie

Aug 13, 2008

mealworms

The pet store. They are cheap and soon you'll have lots! I had some for several years and gave many away. Put an inch or two of cornmeal in a container and a slice of potato every so often. I have a picture of the life cycle hanging by them Last year we recorded how long it took for stages 2-4.(can't see stage 1, the egg)