Second Grade Math Manipulatives?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by LATechTeacher, Jul 16, 2006.

1. LATechTeacher

LATechTeacher Companion

Jul 16, 2006

What are some good "homemade" manipulatives for teaching math in the second grade? Also, what are some good things to start collecting to store the manipulatives in? Any input would help! Thanks!

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 16, 2006

Some everyday things are buttons, poker chips, old game pieces. For place value, make a pocket thing for hundreds, tens, ones by stitching a cloth napkin or placement. Use straws to count with - 1's, bundles of 10, etc.

Store manipulatives in Tupperware, coffee cans, play doh cans.

4. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 16, 2006

You can make each child a portable set of base ten blocks using the plastic needlepoint sheets. Cut them into hundreds, tens, and ones. If you use just one color per set, one sheet makes two student sets I think. I made mine color coded. Red was the hundreds, blue for tens, and green for ones. I had a high school student helper make my sets. I let the kids take them home when we were studying place value. None of my kids lost the sets, but if one had, I'd only be out a max of twenty cents.

Those are great for the overhead also since they are smaller than the traditional overhead base ten blocks. I store mine in a plastic box with compartments that I bought in the same section as the plastic needlepoint sheets.

If you don't have any student clocks, you can make some by copying a clock face onto a transparency, put the transparency in between two sheets of cardstock with the circle cut out of the top sheet, cut out hands for the clock, and put together with a brad. This project is more fun if the kids get to color the cardstock before assembling the clock.

This isn't really a manipulative, but I put it in a center and the kids love it. Make pencil poke cards. Program some cardstock with a math question, make a hole punch in front of your multiple choice answers, and put a dot by the correct answer's hole on the back of the card. You can also use a golf tee for students to use for self-checking. The kids in my class liked the two and three dimensional shape cards, and the multiplication cards the best. You can cut up old worksheets and put one problem on each card for reviews throughout the year.

5. ILuvKaliNJay

ILuvKaliNJay Rookie

Jul 16, 2006

Popsicle sticks, play dough, dominoes, playing cards, beans (I use these ALL the time). This isn't really a manipulative, but it's a cute idea I found on the internet- use a shower curtain liner and draw numbers and symbols on it to make it look like a huge calculator. Kids can hop out the math problems before answering.

6. mrsmoore

mrsmoore Rookie

Jul 16, 2006

I collected old VHS movie boxes from a video store that was closing to collect a lot of my manipulatives. It works great and you can store a lot in a small space.

7. LATechTeacher

LATechTeacher Companion

Jul 16, 2006

Thanks so much! I got some really good ideas! I loved the clock idea and the shower curtain activity!