Second Grade Houghton Mifflin Reading... How Long?

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by teacherpippi, Aug 17, 2008.

1. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Aug 17, 2008

Second grade teachers, if you use Houghton Mifflin reading with students, how long does it take you each day? Do you do everything?

I am overwhelmed by the amount of things that are in the book. I'd love any advice you have!

I am in a multi-age setting and am struggling with how I can get it all done.

3. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Aug 18, 2008

Bump... anyone?

4. MissHunny

MissHunny Comrade

Aug 18, 2008

I use HM in 2nd grade but don't even attempt to cover everything!! I also use different phonice, spelling, and writing porgrams, so I do not need to do everything.

Typically I do a story a week and it may look something like this:

Monday- pic walk, predictions, vocab, read story, usually kids do vocab or prediction activity, or few pages from the workbooks.

Tuesday- Go back to the story again (I may have not finished reading it yet since some stories are long)...maybe have students retell it, disucus the story elements, etc. Usually I will have the class listen to it on tape the second time around telling them to listen for the readers fluency. This day I will do some sort of comprehension activity such as a story map, or connection. I always let kids know what they will be oding after the story so that they know what to "look" for while rereading it.

Wed./thurs./friday-It really varies. Some times they will sequence the story, some days they may partner read (yet they stories are too hard for my lowest reading group to read on thier own). I will usually do one or 2 skill lessons from the story (such as the sh sound, or antonyms, etc)

Basically I always do some type of vocab, a couple comprehension, anf a couple skill activities that go with each story. OH- just remembered, I typically only do the "checked skills" then I may add in one of my own ideas each week.

I only spend about 20-30 min of whole group HM a day, then the kids always have something indepepndent to do after, so I can meet with guided reading groups.

Hope this helps!! Just focus on those checked skills...they will have the red check mark next to them.

5. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Aug 18, 2008

Thank you, MissHunny! Yes- seeing this plan does help me wrap my mind around it! We, too, have a different spelling and writing programs... and I'm not sure about phonics.

6. Lysander

Lysander Companion

Aug 20, 2008

I have been using Houghton Mifflin reading in second grade for the past 3 years, and will be using it again this year. Our school operates on a six day cycle, instead of five.

Day 1 - Introduce spelling pattern (I use the spelling pattern with HM, even though I ususally choose challenge words to fit it). I also do the strategy read aloud and think aloud. In small groups, I do Phonics Library with by below grade level group for phonics, and with my on grade level group for strategy guided practice. I do book clubs with my above grade level students.

Day 2 - Whole group anthology vocabulary. HM Grammar lesson. Small groups - review phonics library for strategy with BGL. Read anthoolgy story with OGL and AGL groups.

Day 3 - Whole class read aloud/review of anthology story. Discuss strategy application. HM Grammar lesson. Small groups - Begin leveled readers with vocbulary development and picture walk/predictions.

Day 4 - Whole class grammar/writing. Small groups read leveled readers, applying strategy.

Day 5 - Whole class Interdisciplinary Link (Health, art, science, etc.) Writing lesson. Small groups finish and discuss leveled readers with strategy focus.

Day 6 - Spelling test. Writer's Workshop in groups. This is sometimes based on the leveled readers, or HM writing lesson.

I usually spend about 45 minutes doing whole class, and 20 minutes with each reading group (3 in all).

My school system breaks it down into which parts of the lesson should be taught on which day. If you would like my school system's reading curriculum document, PM me. It may be too large, but I will try to email it to you.

7. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Aug 20, 2008

Thanks for the breakdown Lysander and for the offer of the curriculum document. I don't think I will need it (sounds like I will have a *little* more flexibility than originally thought).