Second Grade Class of 20 looking for penpals

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by fullcircle, Jun 11, 2007.

1. fullcircle

fullcircle Rookie

Jun 11, 2007

I have had the great good luck to be hired for second grade in the fall and am very excited. I want to start off in the fall by doing pen pals with another second grade class, hopefully in an area very different from our own. Our school is one town over from Santa Cruz, California, minutes from the ocean. Anyone out there interested? I will have 20 students and we begin school on August 27th. I am hoping to start corresponding within a few days of then.

Also: anybody have any ideas about adapting the Jules Verne story Around the World in 80 Days for a thematic unit on world cultures. Many thanks in advance to all of you.

3. Touchthefuture

Touchthefuture Comrade

Jun 11, 2007

Hi I am a 2nd year teacher teaching 2nd grade again. This sounds like fun. Have you done it before? How often do the children write? I would be interested but do not have the experience. I expect to have 20-21 students and we start back on August 22nd.
    Let me know.

4. PEteacher07

PEteacher07 Cohort

Jun 11, 2007

does your school have a penpal system within it? at our school, the older students pen pal with the younger students.

5. fullcircle

fullcircle Rookie

Jun 12, 2007

Hi Touch the Future,

We would love to be penpals with your class. I was thinking that the students would write a letter 2x a month which would mean writing one week and receiving a letter the next. I expect to have 20 students but that could changeto 21 or 2. We begin on the 27th and would be happy to write first. If I end up with a couple less students than you I can easily borrow a couple from across the hall at the 1,2,3 class. I have not done this before and this will be my first second grade class, I'm very excited. Our curriculum will focus on people, our families, community, fellow citizens and the people of the world as well as a variety of climates cultures and ecosystems. Florida would be a wonderful location for our U.S. penpals. Feel free to email me at rachelsevn@aol.com and we can set it up if you are interested.

6. jennifer100579

jennifer100579 New Member

Aug 31, 2007

i would love to be pals i live in Michigan and think it would be great to write to you!