Second Grade Calendar Routine

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by NCP, Jul 15, 2005.

1. NCP

NCP Comrade

Jul 15, 2005

I have done a calendar routine for the past two years and feel that it becomes an imposition about half way through the year. Is second grade too old to do calendar? Some of my teammates don't do a routine. What are some alternatives?

3. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Jul 15, 2005

I trained my 1st graders to do calendar themselves. I had a "calendar manger" and they picked one other person to help them. I always did mine right after recess adb restroom breaks. This way I got a few things together and they took care of calendar

4. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2005

I did calendar in second grade all year. I have a helper who tells us what month we are in, and the full date (day of the week, month, date, and year). Then he/she tells us what special subject(s) we have for that day. The kids loved it.

5. pamms

pamms Comrade

Jul 17, 2005

I don't do a calendar routine in 2nd.

None of the 2nd grade teachers in my group do a calendar routine for 2nd grade. I do have the calendar up and above it I have the month and year written as numbers (ex: 7/ /05) to help them when they write the date on their papers. I think by 2nd grade they are expected to be pretty familiar with the calendar. I make a big deal out of the date and ask calendar questions when it's a birthday. We also have a math chapter that goes over calendar, so it is reinforced then also.

Pam

6. dee

dee Companion

Jul 18, 2005

In our district we do Every Day Counts (EDC) which is a calendar routine and it is done all the way up to the 5th grade in varying degrees.

7. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 18, 2005

It's been seven years since my last second grade class so I'm very rusty in calendar/morning meeting. I remember doing calendar questions, math fact family of the day, practicing skip counting 1-12's, and charting the number of school days and the weather. What have I forgotten? I took pictures of my bulletin board and hoped they would refresh my memory, but I haven't found them in my boxes of unorganized pictures.

8. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 18, 2005

I'm only student teaching next semester but I hope to teach second grade and I've been stocking up on calendar accessories. =) I really would like to do a calendar routine, because you could integrate so much of the standards in. (Even though I have yet to witness a 2nd grade teacher do a calendar routine..)

This is kind of what I am thinking about doing: Singing days of the week/months of the year/seasons songs, adding the date to the calendar, changing the schedule to see what special they go to that day, yesterday/today/tomorrow, add a place value straw, add a penny to the "days in school" bank (when they get up to 5 pennies, exchange for a nickel, when they get up to two nickels, exchange for a dime, etc.), add a tally mark each day, practice counting by 2s/3s/5s/10s on the number chart, record the weather/temp, and add any birthdays/lost teeth on the graphs as needed and sing some songs to celebrate. I'd also like to integrate some interactive writing of some sort in there, and end each calendar time with a poem.

Those are just some ideas. I think I would rotate some of these through out the year depending on what they have mastered and what they need to practice. I am curious as to what 2nd grade teachers, if any, do with their calendar routine...

9. divey

divey Companion

Jul 18, 2005

2nd grade calendar time...

I taught kindergarten for 9 years before moving to 2nd grade (have been in 2nd for 3 years now). I used a "calendar time" every morning in kindergarten, and a lot of the skills that you mentioned are skills that I did daily in kindergarten. When I moved to 2nd grade I tried to continue with calendar time, but found that a lot of the skills I was reinforcing, had already been mastered (as well as the "extended version" took a lot of time I didn't really have to spare). Here is the gist of what I do each morning for calendar in 2nd:
    1) I write the day's date on the board both with words (Monday, July 18, 2005) and numbers (07/18/05), discussing punctuation and why the punctuation goes where it does. Then I put our day's schedule on the board (only special classes we're going to, extra things in our day, etc...)

2) We find out who our daily helpers are (I change them daily) and they come up and do our daily count activites.
    a) place value: use straws to show the day of our school year
    with hundreds/tens/ones
    b) money: show the day of school with money (trading coins as
    needed)
    c) pictures: show the day of school with pictures of base 10 blocks
    d) addition sentences: show the day of school in an addition sentence
    (i.e. 100+50+4=154 days of school)

3) We also do a language/math review paper in the a.m. for "bell work", and the first 2 language questions are editing sentences. I usually write those sentences on the board and we find the mistakes together adding the correct editing marks, and then afterwards, they complete the rest of the paper on their own.

10. bam451

bam451 Rookie

Jul 18, 2005

I teach 2nd grade and I have always wanted to have a calendar routine, however I have never found one that was challenging enough, with out taking up too much time. Instead I have made the calendar a job, and they do all of the previously mentioned activities on their own with a partner.