Second Grade Advice

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by FarFromHome, Jul 20, 2014.

1. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 20, 2014

Does anyone have any tips or advice for second grade? I've taught 3rd, 4th, and 5th, but haven't taught 2nd since my student teaching. I know my school uses Envisions Math, Pathways to Reading, Good Habits Great Readers, and The Daily 5. Thanks!!

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jul 20, 2014

Think about third graders, and imagine them being even younger, even less capable of working independently, and even more eager to please their teacher. The biggest tip I can give is to never assume anything in terms of what they know. Be ready to break things down into smaller chunks than you would have ever expected.

4. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 20, 2014

The biggest piece of advice I can give is to keep them moving. I'd teach whole group lessons on the carpet, while they were at their desks, or even outside (if the weather was nice).

They especially liked rotating centers during Daily 5. Kept things lively and they were never in the same place for too long.

I totally loved my years in 2nd grade. It's such a neat age--they truly want to please and are very sweet! :love:

5. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 20, 2014

I agree that you shouldn't assume what they know.

When I moved from K to 2nd, I expected them to be so much more mature and advanced. For example, I thought that I could give them a writing prompt, and they would write. I quickly learned that there were a large number of kids who still couldn't write more than 3 sentences independently. In the beginning of the year they need a lot of help reading tests and assessments. We do everything together, because some kids are too low to read it independently, or they just don't understand the directions.

I also spend A LOT of time on directions. I give directions, but I'll also have a student model the directions, or I'll provide a visual. They need a lot of modeling still.

I've also found that 2nd graders are incredibly chatty. They're finally comfortable in school, with themselves, and with one-another. Because of this, I try to incorporate group/partner work as much as possible. There have been many lessons where I planned to have them work independently, but I quickly changed my plans to partner work, because they needed to get the talking out! My classes have actually worked really well together, though.

I love 2nd grade, because they're not too old to do some of the more fun kiddie stuff, but they're old enough to do some more advanced work.

6. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 21, 2014

Thanks gr3teacher, youngteacherguy, and DrivingPigeon!

Do any of you have tips for the Daily 5? I haven't used it before.

7. SleekTeach

SleekTeach Comrade

Jul 21, 2014

I taught second grade last year and we used envision...it's not the greatest to be honest. Be ready to do some deep explaining and pulling a lot of your own activities to supplement the envision.

Second graders are sweet, but they also start to lose their innocence, so expect them to be a little similar to the other grades you taught, mixed with tattling, crying, and possible bathroom accident.

8. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 21, 2014

This will be my 4th year using the Daily 5 in 2nd grade. I love it! I did a blog post about how I run it here: http://settingupforsecond.blogspot.com/2014/04/the-daily-5-in-2nd-grade.html

I would also recommend reading the new edition of the book: http://www.amazon.com/Daily-The-Sec...F8&qid=1405978633&sr=8-1&keywords=the+daily+5

It's a very easy read, and having the book to use as a resource is worth the money!

9. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 21, 2014

Thanks!

10. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 21, 2014

Thank you so much for sharing your blog post! That will be so helpful!

I was about to buy the book, but my principal said they have several copies and I can borrow one. If it's the older edition, would you recommend buying the newer one myself?

11. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 21, 2014

I'm a little worried about having enough books in my classroom library. I think I have some lower level, but most are 3rd grade reading level and up. I don't really have the money to buy a lot of books right now. Can the Daily 5 be used without a big classroom library?

12. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 21, 2014

Can your students sign out books from your school library? Or can you sign out a big stack of books so students can put them in their book boxes? They do need access to a lot of texts and texts at their reading level.

Does your school have a subscription to www.readinga-z.com? This is a great site to print leveled books from.

13. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 21, 2014

I will definitely ask those questions when I meet with my new team. Thanks for the suggestions!

14. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 22, 2014

The newer version is pretty similar, but with some updates, and it includes math Daily 3. Just know that the big difference is that they do not suggest doing all 5 things every day, as suggested in the first book. They recommend that all students do read to self and work on writing every day. Then they pick a 3rd thing to do from word work, listen to reading, and read to someone. By the end of the week they will have done each of those three things at least once. However, they should be reading and writing every day.

15. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 22, 2014

Yes, I think it can be. I would check out additional books from the school and public libraries. Ask for donations from parents (many families have tons of books that they would like to get rid of), and check out thrift stores. Also, if you do Scholastic you can use the bonus points to get free books. That's how I got almost every book in my classroom library.

16. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 22, 2014

I don't get it...You just copied exactly what I said. Must be a troll or robot!

17. Luv2TeachInTX

Luv2TeachInTX Comrade

Jul 22, 2014

I would check out Goodwill, Freecycle, EBay, garage sales and even Amazon Marketplace for used books. You can also take your school ID to Half Price books and get free books from there. Out of all those, Goodwill has been an absolute gold mine for me this summer finding books for my classroom library. :)

18. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 22, 2014

I'm glad you shared this! This is what I've been doing because I just can't fit all 5 rotations in. Glad to know my improvising wasn't too far off!