Second Chances

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Maddy 1983, Oct 24, 2008.

1. Maddy 1983

Maddy 1983 Rookie

Oct 24, 2008

In November, a student will return to school frome extended OSS. She was suspended because last April she threatened a male teacher with death if he didn't have sex with her. Then, when word got out, she threatened to set fire to the school, stab staff, and shoot students. Well, she's returning this November. Now this is my first year at this school but I'm kind of worried.

I really don't understand how any school district could possibly allow a record like that go "away" in such short time!

:(

3. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Oct 25, 2008

They allow it because as public educators, they are legally obligated to educate her. Plain and simple. I worked in a division that wouldn't suspend kids who were court ordered to be at school - no matter what kind of trouble they caused, if a judge ordered them to be at school, they would be there, even if they started fights, skipped school, threatned students, teachers, even their probation officers.

Until they were locked up, they were our problem, end of story. So honestly, I would feel lucky that you're in a division that issues long term suspensions.

4. Budaka

Budaka Cohort

Oct 25, 2008

Sure, but the school also has a responsibility to keep the other students safe. We have had some students make threats against teachers lives. They ended up going to an alternative school but only for one year. After that they will be back with us. It is a little unnerving to go to work everyday and know that not only is there someone there who really doesn't like you, but has shown that it is not just a threat. They have acted in a violent way in the past.

5. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Oct 25, 2008

I don't think its not unnerving - I never said that. However, one of the pitfalls of working in the public system is having to deal with these students. She has served her time so to speak, and now she's back. IF she does something again, then its an issue again. Until then... well its really not.

Look we had kids over 18 who got out of remand and were sent straight back to school. We had kids awaiting trial for violent offenses in our school. Unless another kid or a teacher had a restraining order against them, they were there.

Perhaps that is something the male teacher should consider if no one wants her back at school.

6. Sheba

Sheba Companion

Oct 27, 2008

Yikes! My goodness, does that ever make my students seem like angles.

One thing I think all the teachers should do is make it be known that there will be no private communication with her. Any communication outside class should only happen with another (female) staff member present. I wouldn't even take a phone call from her without a third party listening on the line or it being known that the call was being recorded.

There was quite a famous case at SFU in Canada re: Rachael Marsden, a university student who both stalked and made false allegations against staff members. Male staff responded to it by refusing any private communication with her and after she tried, and failed, to claim discrimination because of it she left.

7. Maddy 1983

Maddy 1983 Rookie

Oct 28, 2008

We had an emergency staff meeting and we were told, are you ready for this,

"Stress the importance of treating others as you would like to be treated, IN TERMS OF 3 BEARS IN GOLDYLOCKS!"

8. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Oct 28, 2008

The day I have to worry for my safety is the day I quit teaching.

9. ELA 11 12

ELA 11 12 Companion

Oct 28, 2008

"There are very few monsters who warrant the fear we have of them." André Gide

10. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Oct 28, 2008

CanadianTeacher - I don't worry about my safety now and I didn't last year. I have been decked by a student when I went in (all 5'2" and 115lbs of me) to break up a fight, and I have been threatened and harrassed, but it comes with the territory, and I love what I do too much to let some little (insert something here) scare me away from it.

11. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Oct 28, 2008

Well, I'll put it another way. I love to teach, but I'm not Mother Theresa. I will not be a hero and take abuse, break up fights, deal with threats and harrassment. IMO, that's not teaching and not worthy of my time. I'm realistic enough to know that I may never experience what I consider ideal as a teacher and that's okay by me, but if I ever feel that I have to endure those conditions in order to teach, for me it becomes no longer worth it. I know I can reach kids and I know I am an effective teacher from the feedback I've received from past students. I don't feel an overwhelming need to be the one who turns around a kid who has already lost all respect for everyone and everything around him/her.

12. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Oct 28, 2008

I don't feel the need to turn them around. Not every kid I taught got in fights. Not every kid harrassed me, cussed at me or threatened me. I stayed for the majority of kids who did not do those things.

13. ValinFW

ValinFW Comrade

Oct 30, 2008

In our district, that student would be sent to the alternative school or adminstratively transferred to one of the other high schools in the district. She would not be allowed to return to her home campus.

14. Enigma_X

Enigma_X Rookie

Nov 4, 2008

Yikes. Be very careful in how you deal with her, and document EVERYTHING. In the meantime, feel lucky that at least they sent her away for this long. I have kids in my class who spent a month or two in AEP or juvie for burglary, gang violence, and/or selling drugs, and then got sent right back.