Seating Ideas

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by EMonkey, Jul 24, 2012.

1. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2012

I have done placed seating in many different ways for years. I have been thinking about making the seating more free flow. I was thinking of having the children with no marked desks with teams and partners that they group with when needed. Shared pencils and stuff at each desk. Very center based seating most of the time. I also have a area for each child to have their own stuff. Anyone done anything like that? How did it work? Am I nuts?

3. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 24, 2012

I have heard of other teachers doing this successfully (no one in my school, though). I think it is definitely do-able, but it would take a lot of training.

4. Ted

Ted Habitué

Jul 24, 2012

I don't think you're nuts. :) It sounds like a very intriguing format and if you choose this route, I hope you'll report back on the successes and challenges. :)

I would advise to train the kids how to use more hand sanitizer... because if there's a lot more sharing, then there's a lot more sharing of ALL things (including germs). ;)

(Then again, maybe in 1st grade that happens regardless!!) :)

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 24, 2012

If you have the room to store materials outside of desks, go for it! You may find you love it but if you don't, you can always change back to the old way.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 24, 2012

One of my former colleagues used to greet her kids at the door with playing cards....about 5 or 6 of each suit depending on HW many kids she had. Kids would pick a card on the way into the classroom and would sit that day with the other students who drew the same suit...

7. trulyunic

trulyunic Rookie

Jul 24, 2012

That does sound like a good idea for a seating plan OP.

Also, czacaza, I might borrow this for my secondary students and use it from time to time when working in groups to vary who they work with

8. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2012

I use tables. My students have a "home base" but move around all day everyday. Many choose to work on the floor or stand and use the counter. I love the flexibility.

9. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 24, 2012

I love the idea of a "home base." I may have to steal it...If I ever get tables!

10. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 24, 2012

Mine have velcro nametags (made out of paint stirrers, btw) and each table has the opposite kind of velcro at each spot. The kids take their tag and move as needed. This works for me, and the added benefit is that the whole table can be used for workspace when the nametags are taken off.

Try it out, you might find it works for you.

11. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Jul 25, 2012

The last few years I have been seating the children using a home base type seating arrangement. I was thinking of making it even more free flow. I appreciate the responses and ideas.