Seating Charts

Discussion in 'General Education' started by RadiantBerg, Mar 9, 2014.

1. RadiantBerg

RadiantBerg Cohort

Mar 9, 2014

Would you view this as favoritism?

I have one class where most of the girls work well together, and stay on task, so I generally seat them next to their friends since they work well with their friends and stay focused. On the other hand, many of the boys in that class get engaged in loud, off-task conversations and don't do much work when I put them by their friends. As such, I keep the girls by their friends, but (with some exceptions) not these boys. I don't view it as favoritism as I have many classes where all the students work well so I try to put them all next to people who they work well with, but I don't want them to think I favor girls over boys.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 9, 2014

Would you have had a similar arrangement with the boys by their friends if they worked well together and the girls separated if they didn't? If so, then I don't think it's favoritism.

4. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Mar 9, 2014

It's not favoritism if its a direct result of the choices the students have made.

5. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Mar 9, 2014

I don't view that as favoritism. It's a reward for doing what they're supposed to be doing.

6. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Mar 9, 2014

If you're concerned about it being perceived as favoritism, then sit them next to each other and give them the specific conditions for staying together. If they step out of line and the girls don't, you can clearly point out why they lost the privilege.

7. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 9, 2014

Not favoritism.