Seating charts in High School, are they necessary?

Discussion in 'High School' started by publowle, Sep 23, 2012.

1. publowle

publowle Rookie

Sep 23, 2012

Hey, I was wondering if you use seating charts in your classes. I myself never used them because I feel that in high school, seating charts are not necessary and will not help me with my teaching duties.

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 23, 2012

In some classes, seating charts might be necessary. I know in two of the classes I co-teach in, the teachers use a seating chart. The others let the students sit where they want until a problem arises, then moves may be made.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 23, 2012

I think that seating charts are a good idea and can help prevent situations from arising. I generally start the year with seating charts. As my classes demonstrate their maturity, on-task behaviors, and good attitudes, they earn the privilege of being able to choose their own seats towards the end of the year. It works out for me.

5. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Sep 23, 2012

I always have seating charts in my high school classes. The only class that doesn't have a seating chart is my AP class, which consists of all seniors who are ranked at the top of their class.

My favorite part of using a seating chart is taking attendance. When the bell rings, I grab the seating chart for that class and quickly scan the room. I can immediately see who is absent without having to go name by name through my book.

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 23, 2012

Wow. I teach elementary, but when I was in HS, we always had assigned seats! And I was on an honor's track.

7. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Sep 23, 2012

I remember having some teacher directed charts and some like the first day choosing a seat and that was our seat and where we were expected to sit. I think the teacher would change things once in awhile or if something caused them to move a few.

I think they did it more for subs if they had to be gone....

8. publowle

publowle Rookie

Sep 23, 2012

See we are very different, you believe that students have to demonstrate maturity and behavior so that they can earn the privilege to sit where they want. The way I see it is that if they want to act stupid and disrespectful, they will see that reflected on their grade not where they sit. I mean its high school, give the students some freedom.

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 23, 2012

We are very different. I believe that I have an obligation to ensure that the rest of the class isn't impacted by the "stupid" actions of one or a few students. In my experience, a few chatterboxes can really affect the people sitting nearby who are trying to listen and learn. I will do what it takes to prevent that sort of thing and to allow everyone in the class the opportunity to learn.

I believe it's much easier to let up on a class after being firm at the beginning than it is to reign them in after being too permissive. I like to have a good time with my students, we laugh and joke around a lot, but my students also know that my classroom is a place where learning happens. Students are not allowed to prevent anyone else from learning.

10. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Sep 23, 2012

The other students deserve not to be around students who are disrespectful and disruptive. Seating charts help ensure this.

I ease up on charts if the class can handle it, but I usually have one period where chaos will ensue if I don't choose seats carefully.

I teach seniors, and they whine about seating charts, but most of them, if allowed to sit where they choose, will chat nonstop, not finish their work, and generally be disengaged.

I try to give them freedoms wherever I can--bathroom pass for instance. My policy is that if the pass is there, take it, write your name in the whiteboard, and go. I don't need to know about it.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 24, 2012

I think they're necessary for a number of reasons.

First and foremost, we take attendance every single period as a safety issue. Being able to glance at a chart and see who's absent streamlines the process.

Secondly, I can't imagine how I would learn all those names without a seating chart.

Thirdly, it helps set the tone from the very beginning.

12. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Sep 24, 2012

Some of my classes have assigned seats, some don't. It works for me :) I never have understood the attendance one though. It doesn't take me any longer to take attendance without a seating chart. However, my classes are VERY small so maybe that's why.

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 24, 2012

I have close to 40 in a class. Without a seating class, I could very easily overlook the last kid in a row when he's absent.

And even if your classes are small, how does a sub take attendance without a seating chart? We're required to have one in the attendance binders in each class.

14. publowle

publowle Rookie

Sep 24, 2012

I have about 30 to a class.

And we have sheets with photos of the students on them, I keep one in my sub plans at all times.

15. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Sep 24, 2012

I *always* make seating charts. Always.

16. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Sep 24, 2012

Our sub binders only have the rosters in them. I put a chart in for the auditorium but my five AP kids sit where they want. I include a small hand drawn chart with who sits where but that's only in my sub folder. I never use it. It's easy to go, "oh only four here today, Bobby's absent."

17. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Sep 24, 2012

I have juniors and seniors in class ... they have a seating chart from day 1. My rationale has already been explained in previous posts.

18. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Sep 24, 2012

I use them 100% of the time. My seniors are seated randomly on the first day, according to numbered cards (I number my seats, too.) My chart has their pictures, which I need to learn their names. Makes taking attendance easy, as has been mentioned.

19. platypusok

platypusok Companion

Sep 24, 2012

I don't use seating charts in my high school classes. I didn't in my middle school classes to begin with but they lost that privilege. In one of my high school classes, I have three kids who are not allowed to sit near each other. They grumbled but complied. I really have no issues.

20. pvcpa

pvcpa Rookie

Sep 26, 2012

All of our classes have seating charts and I have ALWAYS used them, in all grades. (I even considered them for a time in an AP class I taught at a local college).

In larger schools it helps with attendance but it gives a sense of order. We use electronic attendance for it is not an attendance issue for us, but it does set the tone.

21. Accountable

Accountable Companion

Oct 20, 2012

They do far more good than harm, imo. I'm a co-teacher and have seen several techniques. Two of the more interesting:

A biology teacher changes seating every 6 weeks mix up lab partners teaches kids to work with different types of people.

A history teacher starts the class with the assigned seating for warmup and roll call, then *requires* everyone to get up and change seats. She does this sometimes 3 or 4 times in a period, especially if the material is dry an heads are bobbing. She'll give an especially important point then tell everyone to get up, find someone else to sit by, and tell that person that point.

22. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Oct 20, 2012

I agree with this!

Also, on the issue of attendance, I see between 160 and 170 students per day. Without a seating chart, it is just too easy to miss someone who might be gone.

23. ParentEdge

ParentEdge New Member

Nov 2, 2012

Without reading through the entire forum I would say that assigned seating at the freshmen level is a must. However, after that if you are teaching a class of more advanced students I have never had a problem letting students pick their own seats. However, they then need to stay there once they pick them. For a general level class I would probably always have a seating chart.

24. MissApple

MissApple Companion

Dec 13, 2012

It depends on the class. At the start of the year I tell the kids they may sit wherever they like for the first week. If, after that week, I think they can handle that, then free seating stands. However, if their behavior has not been acceptable, we'll go to assigned seats.

25. microbe

microbe Comrade

Dec 13, 2012

Having a seating chart is a godsend for a substitute teacher! It's incredibly difficult to manage a class without a seating chart. I won't know any of the student's names and if I need to leave you a note about a particular student, without the chart, I wouldn't know who it is.

Also, I've noticed that classes with seating charts are infinitely more well-behaved and on-task.

26. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Dec 13, 2012

I can understand that from a sub's perspective, however, my one class that currently does not have a seating chart is far and away my best behaved group. There are only five students in the class and it's an AP course. While I allow students to choose their seats, I also require them to stay there indefinitely and do write it down so subs know. I have another class that is allowed to choose their seats and that's because we're always doing group work or acting (it's a drama course). I still write their seats down though.

Even with a chart, kids can still switch seats when a sub is in the room. Then you might think "Kyle" is talking, when really it's "Johnny".

27. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 13, 2012

Mine have assigned seats, no matter what grade. They are their "home seats". They are free to change sets when I am there. Most be home seats when I'm gone. Seating charts also have photos.

28. blauren

blauren Rookie

Mar 18, 2013

The first day of class I let them sit where they want and pay attention to students who are too talkative with each other. The next day I start a seating chart and separate the students who seem too chatty with each other. I use seating charts to really help me learn their names. While they are working, I look at the seating chart and try to match faces to names. Then I'm able to learn names in a few days.