Seating Arrangements

Discussion in 'Sixth Grade' started by flowerpower31, Aug 22, 2008.

1. flowerpower31

flowerpower31 Comrade

Aug 22, 2008

How do you arrange where your students sit on the first day of school? I know eventually you learn where NOT to sit them, but how do you do it on the first day? Also, do you put name tags on their desks? I'd like to, but I feel like that's a little babyish for 6th grade....

3. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 22, 2008

When I taught fifth last year, I had them choose where they wanted to sit. I knew that I would be changing their seating arrangement anyways. I just wanted them to choose the right desk size for them (the desks I had came in all different sizes).

4. LMath85

LMath85 Companion

Aug 22, 2008

For High School - I'll let them sit in whatever seat they want the first day & then I'll arrange them either a day or two after. This gives me a chance to see who is friends for who in case I need to change a few seats around. (Also, I don't get my official rosters till the first day of school so I can't even do my own seating arrangements before they come in!)

I don't think that it is baby-ish with the name tags. Anyway that is more organized is better for you!

Edit (I forgot WHY I was actually posting in here! LOL) - I just spoke to my friend a few days ago about her seating arrangements. She has 6th grade too. She sits them in alphabetical order the first day. The usual everyone stands up & you call out their name. Then if anyone needs there seat changed (bc they can't see) you do. She said she often makes changes after bc the kids are friends from previous years.

Good luck!

Last edited: Aug 22, 2008
  5. flowerpower31

flowerpower31 Comrade

Aug 22, 2008

Thank you! Those are both great ideas. :)

6. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Aug 22, 2008

Last year I seated them alphabetically to begin the year and I found it much easier to remember student names Also, we draw students from 5 elementary schools and this mixes them up a little.

7. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 22, 2008

I like the abc order! It's so funny but I never thought of that. :D

8. jwhitg

jwhitg Rookie

Aug 24, 2008

I have five classes of sixth grade I have a list of the students in alphabetical order, and then number them. I have the desks facing forward in rows and taped the corresponding numbers to the desks. I hope this works smoothly. I have two extra desks and wrote on the list to sit in these desks if the name is not on the list. When students come in tomorrow when we start, they hopefully will find the correct desks.
    I will keep the desks this way until I learn the "feel" of the classes.

9. pontiac8411

pontiac8411 Rookie

Aug 29, 2008

I let them sit where they want for the first two days. Naturally they gravitate toward their friends. Through observing them, I find out who is much too talkative to sit next to friends and also which students should be moved up front next to me because they are behavior problems. On the third day I post a seating chart in the front of the room and, while they are unhappy, it resolves most of my behavioral issues in a snap!

10. teresateaches

teresateaches Companion

Aug 31, 2008

My room is set up in 9 pods of four desks. As they walk in, they will be given a number 1-9 and will sit in the pod with the number they are given. This way since they will normally walk in with friends, they will be divided up. Also, this will make the seating completly random and I won't have alot of work before hand. There are too many other things I need to get straight as a first year newbie.