Seating Arrangements

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by KinGeorgia, Jul 3, 2007.

1. KinGeorgia

KinGeorgia Rookie

Jul 3, 2007

I am thinking about doing away with tables where each child has a seat and nametag. My reasoning behind this is that we are rarely at the tables and they take up so much space!
    The only times of the day that we were at our tables last year was:

*Morning work - I thought kids could either go to a center or grab a clipboard to lean on and sit on the carpet and write in their literacy journals.

*Math work- Split into two groups and have my para sit on the carpet and play a game with one group while I work with a group at my kidney table.

*Snack time- Students could sit on the carpet or we could head outside on nice days!

I would still have a kidney table and two long rectangle tables (one for my EIP segment and one for my para's phonics group) so if we were doing crafts we could spread the kids out into two groups and work with them at the tables!

Am I thinking too outside the box????????????
    Thanks for all responses!
    Happy 4th! :)

3. Miss Jana

Miss Jana Rookie

Jul 3, 2007

I don't know if you are thinking TOO outside the box, but I have contemplated this in my kinder classroom as well. I'm not sure I'm going to "get rid of" my tables, but I think I would rather use them for center functionality rather than having a group of them together for seat work. I just don't plan to have that much seat work in kinder, because I still feel like they learn much more through hands on experiences.

I haven't actually gotten into my room yet (and I'm a first year teacher, so my opinions may change anyway!) but I'm going to try a "progressive" approach to my classroom. What I mean by that is....I may spread the tables around and use them for different centers (without name tags and assigned seats), and then as the year progresses, I will re-layout the room several different times...getting more and more into the routine they will have in first grade. I will end the year with the kids doing a little more seat work in assigned seats, and having a little less space for certain centers, like sand/water, housekeeping, etc.

I'm looking forward to any expert opinions as well! :)

Jana

4. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 3, 2007

It's an interesting idea. I assign them seats for two reasons - giving them a space that is theirs in the room and because often the kids come in not knowing how to write their names so they have a guide in the name tag. Also, even though my kids don't do much "seatwork" per se, their center work involves manipulatives that I think would be scattered everywhere if it weren't for the structure the tables give. Especially in math, they are counting, making patterns, etc. and I don't know if that would work as effectively on the carpet. It's definitely something to consider. I have a small room and in the 3 years I've been at this school I have yet to come up with a floor plan that works for me and it's always the tables that make it seem so congested.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 3, 2007

One thing I loved about kindergarten was that I had my own desk (really a space at a table). It had my name on it and no one else could sit there. I felt really grown up. I don't think I would have felt so excited about school if it felt the same as preschool.

Also, I remember using a lot of manipulatives and doing a lot of writing practice, and I think a desk or tablespace would be essential for those tasks.

Could you have portable centers or like a center in a box? (Right now I'm laughing because I'm thinking of that SNL skit...) If you had all the fun center materials in a big tote or something, you could transform the table space into that particular center for a time and then remove the tote when it's not needed. I'm sure it would help with summer storage as well, because they'd already be packed away.

6. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 3, 2007

This website has fantastic pictures of her classroom.... she uses her tables as centers.... it looks so nice and spacious!
    http://www.jmeacham.com/tour.htm

7. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Jul 4, 2007

I had thought of not using tables...the kids love working on the floor in their own comfort and space! I know one teacher who has the students choose a spot to work on the floor and they use a mat to define their space. This way they are not in someone elses bubble! I love the idea if you have the space...I have the space so I may try it more this year!!

Although giving up my tables could be difficult! I know in my school...if it leaves my room...it may NEVER come back!! So completely getting rid of them is really not an option because if I decide I want them back they may not be there!!!

8. KinGeorgia

KinGeorgia Rookie

Jul 4, 2007

Thanks for the advice! I love Meachem's site...I am looking at her classroom set up now!

9. Kinderbug26

Kinderbug26 Rookie

Jul 5, 2007

One thing that really worked for me (I had 24 Kindergarteners split between 5 tables) is I used colored electrical tape and sectioned off a space for each child. This was their personal "space" and the other students then had a visual idea when they were crossing into another child's workspace.