Seating arrangements on the first day

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by Chevygirl97, Jul 26, 2007.

1. Chevygirl97

Chevygirl97 Companion

Jul 26, 2007

I have 36 precious angels on my roster so far (and I say "so far" because I was told I might get one more or lose a few.) I wanted to know how some of you arrange the desks for the first day/few weeks.

I wanted to do it alphabetically (to help me remember names that much faster) and I wanted to start with rows before I start putting them into groups of 6 desks or whatever (to check out personalities and to gauge the people who should never ever sit next to eachother...LOL.)

Anyone?

3. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2007

Although I know it is better to start with groups to get them used to it right away and to take away the novelty of it, I think I may place them in rows. No one in my school uses groups of desks and I don't know if I want to be the odd one.
    But I really do like having them in groups from day one so they get used to it and don't think it's a big deal.Hmmmm.....

4. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 26, 2007

I always place them in rows the first 2 weeks of school. Then I move to groups.

5. arm605

arm605 Rookie

Jul 26, 2007

I just can't believe you have 36 second graders in your class. You have exactly double the number I did last year! I am sure you are a wonderful teacher, but it is still very unfair for you and the students to have such a large class. If only the world could start recognizing that an education is the basis for any success in life...grrr to the government.
    Enough with my soap box...I liked having my students in 2 rows to begin the year. They are so excited to see each other again that it helps to cut back on the chatter...there are plenty of activities in the first few weeks where they are able to interact.

6. amyveg

amyveg Rookie

Jul 26, 2007

That is too bad! I have 25 on my roster right now!

And we mostly use tables.

7. BASAM

BASAM Comrade

Jul 26, 2007

I place them in a U shape for the first week and then I put them into groups. I like the U shape because there is a large space where they can move around when doing getting to know you activities and also I can use that time to figure out who shouldn't sit by each other and who may need to be in the front or who needs to be close to me. Once they go into groups they stay there for the year unless there is a reason they need to move but it has to be a good excuse.

8. bdteach

bdteach Companion

Jul 27, 2007

I plan to use the U shape at first as well for precisely that reason.

And I have to chime in on 36 too. I thought California law stated no more than 19 in grades K-3?

9. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jul 27, 2007

I put them in abc order by their first names until I get to know them.

10. Chevygirl97

Chevygirl97 Companion

Jul 27, 2007

Catholic school. They can pretty much do whatever--not public. I student taught in a district that did not do 20:1 for Kinder...guess who had 31 kindergartners? And then 33 4th graders?

Yes. It is unfortunate. But I searched for a job and I am so GRATEFUL to have this!

Thank you for your answers and outrage at the number of students. I was told 33, which didn't bother me as much, then the number 36 came around.

Stay tuned, I can guarantee you will all hear the status of my classroom as the year progresses. (I do have an aide, for 4 hrs a day M-F.)

11. natjoejag

natjoejag Companion

Jul 27, 2007

I start them off in groups of 6 and they stay that way all year long. I hate changing things up--from what I have experienced it causes chaos.:confused:

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 27, 2007

My desks are arranged in tables of 5 or 6. I throw down the name tags alternating girls and boys for an even mix at each table. I avoid putting kids together that I know won't work well together (teachers talk...) and then I see how it goes...I reserve the right to move seats whenever and as often as I see fit. Name tags are on the desks, the kids wear name tags the first day and we do enough community buidling activities that I know names quickly...

13. ms_chandler

ms_chandler Comrade

Jul 27, 2007

I don't use ABC order from my own experience as a student. Teachers always did this, and I ended up making friends with all of those students. This is a no-no for teachers because this is exactly what we're trying to avoid --- putting students by their friends!

This is what I do. I get a pack of 4x6 pastel colored index cards. I cut out squares of each color and tape them to each desk for the first day. We get our rosters a few days before our kids come. I write each kids name on the 4x6 index cards. When they come in the door, I ask them their name (I have them in ABC order), and I tell them to match their color index card to the first desk they see with this color.

I have them write pertinent information on their index cards that I keep in a file. While they are doing this, I go down each row asking their names so I can fill in my seating chart.

I tend to change seating every month or so. It keeps things fresh. So, if I realize that friends are sitting next to each other, I quickly change that. :)

14. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2007

I like the idea of having them fill out important info on an index card! I will have them fill one out once they find their desks to keep them quiet. What type of info do you ask for?

15. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 27, 2007

I try to make my arrangements fit their needs. In each group I have one high student and one low student. The other 2 are normally medium students. I also try and sit them in a boy/girl pattern.

16. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2007

How big is your room? If I had 36 in my room, I'd need to group them just to have space. :eek:

17. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 28, 2007

I'm so sorry you have such a big group! I'm amazed that many desks will fit in your room, but I have the smallest classroom ever and eighteen desks barely fit.

I usually start the year out in rows and stay in rows a week or so until I know their levels and personalities. I'm starting out in groups this year because I don't have room for rows.:eek:

18. lnewbigging

lnewbigging Companion

Jul 28, 2007

I am thinking that I will put them in rows, but with 2 desks together. That way they have a partner, but won't have a huge group to chat with. I read somewhere that 2nds like to be alone as much as possible. It's my first year in grade two, so I will find out if this is true. :confused:

19. Pattie

Pattie Companion

Jul 29, 2007

I like to have my students in groups of 4 and I always have liked this configuration best. I try to have highs and lows also. But the part I like best is in the middle of each of the 4 desks is a basket for glue, markers, a cup for pencils and a cup for scissors. I also have a little tupperware for "warm fuzzies" for table points kind of thing. This way kids who lose everything have no excuse, glue and pencils are right at their fingertips. I have to get them sharpened often but nobody gets up to go get pencils or sharpen pencils during class. I also think it helps them in the younger grades to see what others are doing if they didn't get the directions or are not good listeners right off the bat, they can learn so much from their peers!

20. Bookworm

Bookworm Companion

Jul 29, 2007

I also start with groups of 4-6 on the first day. I try to sit 2 boys and 2 girls. I'll move students at needed.

21. 2ndgradebluejay

2ndgradebluejay Rookie

Jul 29, 2007

I only have 12 students and they desks are in two groups of 6. I usually switch about every quarter. I do that because I get bored with the arrangement.

22. Chevygirl97

Chevygirl97 Companion

Jul 29, 2007

I have a really big classroom and unbelievable bb space (my mom and I just put up the bb paper/borders and it took 4 1/2 hours...and I still have 6 small ones on the closets to do--but all the stuff is pushed up against the closet wall so the floors can be waxed.)

I am just going to make the best of it..and my classroom management/procedures are going to need to be solid. So, we shall see.