Seating Arrangement ideas

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by stac4742, Aug 15, 2007.

1. stac4742

stac4742 Rookie

Aug 15, 2007

Hello everyone!
    Today I am going to school to begin setting up my classroom. I was wanting to know if you all have ideas on whether it's best to start the students seated in groups or in rows. I was wanting to begin them in groups so that they can soon learn to work cooperatively, but this will be my first year in 4th grade, so I'm not sure what's best. What do you think? Thank you in advace!!

3. Teach2Inspire

Teach2Inspire Comrade

Aug 16, 2007

This is my first year teaching 4th grade also, but I have previously taught 5th grade the last 2 years. I always start my students out in table groups, especially in the beginning of the year so that they can do a lot of group activiites. I have had to move them into rows when they become extremely talkative, but they know that when they settle down and follow the class rules I will move them back to groups. And besides, with 34 students using rows takes up way to much room. :rolleyes:

4. stac4742

stac4742 Rookie

Aug 16, 2007

Thank you for responding!! Wow 34 students? Bless you!!
    I just set my students up in rows of two on each side. I really prefer for them to be in groups, but I will see after the 1st week how/who I want them grouped with.

-Stacey

5. teacherfourth

teacherfourth Rookie

Aug 22, 2007

seating

Hello,
    I normally start in a horseshoe shape - that way I can see their faces and put a name to it. By the end of the first week, I put them into groups of 4 or 6.:)

6. Teach2Inspire

Teach2Inspire Comrade

Aug 22, 2007

:eek: Well I just found out today that our enrollment in our school has gone up and there will be several classes including my that will have about 40 students until October, when the district allows movement of teachers and new hires. So I have gone from 34 to 40 4th graders. Yikes!!!! I am in a portable and now with the extra desks it is so crowed. The only way to work my desk is in groups. Some with 6 and some with 7.

7. teacherfourth

teacherfourth Rookie

Aug 22, 2007

WOW - 34 to 40 students! ouch -- I only have 19 this year guess I can not complain when others have way more than me!!! Parents where I teach would hit the roof - there would be no way possible any classes would go over 22

8. Teach2Inspire

Teach2Inspire Comrade

Aug 22, 2007

The other teachers and I were discussing the same thing today. The students are coming from a 3rd grade class were 20 was the max into a class with 40, when really 34 is the max. Parents are going to flip!

9. teacherfourth

teacherfourth Rookie

Aug 22, 2007

I hope there is some time before school starts -- perhaps they can find either another teacher or an Aid for you. My school has 3 fourth grades each with either 18 or 19. I thought that I had it rough because I see all 3 classes in a day for Science - (we have a schedule like high school --Block Scheduling-- each class rotates/ I teach Science one of the other teachers teaches Math - the other Social Studies and we all teach our own homeroom Language Arts--- but after seeing 40 students :woot: makes my 19 in each class look like a vacation. :angel:
    -Rob

10. LisaM

LisaM Rookie

Aug 22, 2007

Teacherfourth,
    I'm just curious..what town do you teach in in Mass? I teach in Attleboro.

11. teacherfourth

teacherfourth Rookie

Aug 23, 2007

Lisa M,
    I teach in Quincy - how many students do you have this year?

12. LisaM

LisaM Rookie

Aug 23, 2007

Hi Teacherfourth,
    Right now I have 23 students in my class - in a diff elementary school (same town) I had 18 students in an inclusion room. Now 23 seems like a lot to me.

13. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 23, 2007

THAT IS HORRID... and would not be allowed in Florida because of the class size amendment.

I have my students paired in 2's and one group of 3 boys in a row that is fine. :)

14. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 23, 2007

I have 18, and we're not allowed to go over 22, either... :( Wow...

15. Teach2Inspire

Teach2Inspire Comrade

Aug 24, 2007

They are saying that it is just until mid October that it would be like this, but that is still a long time to have 40 students. I guess in our contract after it goes past the October cut off date, the teachers will get extra compensation pay for the extra students.

16. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 24, 2007

Wow, but still... will you have to manage them alone, and what about the fire codes?

17. happyteacher4

happyteacher4 Rookie

Aug 24, 2007

Ms. Jasztal,
    How long have you been teaching?

18. teacherfourth

teacherfourth Rookie

Aug 25, 2007

Good question "Fire code - I know that my parents would be all over that. I'm sure that the system would want it taken care of before the parents ascend on the Main Office.:woot:
    Maybe you should ask for an aid to help you out.

19. Teach2Inspire

Teach2Inspire Comrade

Aug 26, 2007

I wish I could have an aide, but the only aides we have are the RSP teachers and those kids get pulled out for their services. No money in the budget for aides.

20. juc162

juc162 Companion

Aug 27, 2007

Bless your heart. I thought I had it bad with 26. 40 totally blows 26 right out of the water. How do you manage your classroom? I have a very chatty bunch so far. I am hoping the main reason for that is because they sat with their friends. I moved their seats around already so hopefully tomorrow will be better. Today was our first day.