Seatbelt ad, have you seen it?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Kase, Apr 10, 2010.

1. Kase

Kase Companion

Apr 10, 2010

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 10, 2010

I really liked that.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 10, 2010

Wearing a seatbelt is just second nature; I can't imagine being in a vehicle without one. I forget that everyone doesn't feel the same way. Thanks for sharing.

5. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Apr 10, 2010

Very nice.

Embrace Life.

Excellent message.

6. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Apr 10, 2010

I actually copied it onto my fb page from another member on here who had it on hers. I thought it was wonderful.

7. Toak

Toak Cohort

Apr 10, 2010

While I do believe that its better to wear your seatbelt, I personally know more people who survived an accident because they didn't have them on, than I know people who died because they did. And for that reason, I'm not all gung-ho about other people wearing them. Of course, if some of those who lived through fatal accidents with seatbelts hadn't been wearing them, the stats of those I know could potentially be different

8. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Apr 10, 2010

Just copied it onto mine too. Almost haunting. I also couldn't imagine driving without mine. I can't even drive from one side of a parking lot to the other without putting mine on.

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 10, 2010

A seatbelt saved my life when the car I was riding in was broadsided by a semi on the interstate. I had head trauma, a black eye, and one entire side window embedded in my scalp and skull. (The doctor had to stick his hand into the space between my scalp and my skull and literally scoop out the glass.)

I always wear mine, and I require all my passengers to always wear theirs.

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 10, 2010

No one is a passenger in my vehicle without a seatbelt. Teaching a little girl who sustained a severe brain injury as the result of being on her mother's lap during an automobile accident has made the wearing of seatbelts non-negotiable to me.

11. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Apr 10, 2010

Wow! That is an amazing video! I have always worn my seatbelt, and have had it save my life. My shoulder was torn up and will never be the same, but you know, it beats literally losing my head so I'll take it! I'm another that doesn't allow anyone to ride with me without their belt. It's such habit for me that when I stop to get my mail at the end of the driveway and then get back in, I put the seatbelt back on for the drive up the driveway.

12. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 10, 2010

I cried. Great commercial.

13. teacherforlife

teacherforlife Rookie

Apr 10, 2010

Toak,
    I know of two people who were thrown from their vehicles because they weren't wearing their seat belts and one of those was my cousin. Both were killed instantly when their heads hit the pavement. I believe every parent should be held responsible if their child is injured because the child wasn't wearing a seat belt.

14. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Apr 10, 2010

Two of my fraternity brothers hit a telephone pole head-on coming back from a club one night. They both survived (barely) because they were wearing their seat belts. This was back in 1983, before seat belt use had become widespread.

Both of them became extreme advocates for wearing seat belts. One of them even appeared in a local commercial.

I've heard of cases where a person actually suffered less serious injuries in an accident because they were not wearing a seat belt, but these are definitely the exceptions rather than the rule.

15. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 10, 2010

I wear a seat belt...always, always, always. I do, though, also know someone who was told he would have been dead had he been wearing a seatbelt. Still the exception.

16. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Apr 10, 2010

Seat belts are non negotiable for anyone in a car I am in, regardless of whether I am driving. I will get out of the car if anyone refuses to wear it. Yes, there may be a rare occasion when someone has survived without the seat belts, (and anyone can try to justify some excuse for not wearing the belt) but, they are absolutely in the minority.

17. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 10, 2010

I think adults should be able to choose to wear a seatbelt or not.

I initially thought the "Click It or Ticket" laws were purely money-driven, but I've learned those campaigns are apparently quite costly. Maybe the efforts are purely political, maybe it's an attempt to arrest those with warrants...I don't know. But I think the money spent begging adults to wear a seatbelt can be better used by installing more cable barriers, by removing objects such as trees and utility poles which cause so many deaths...

18. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 10, 2010

In every state I've lived in, police aren't allowed to pull you over for not wearing a seatbelt. If you commit some other infraction, like speeding, AND you don't have your seatbelt on, you can get a ticket for that. If the seatbelt is the only thing you're doing wrong, though, they can't do anything about it.

I don't think it's reasonable to remove trees and utility poles. Both are necessary in cities and small towns. Trees make the environment healthier and more beautiful. They can also work to maintain the soil and prevent erosion. Utility poles provide electricity and phone services to the people in the town.

Most of our roads are safe in this country. They're usually paved and regulated with an appropriate speed limit. Turns are built at the appropriate angle. Guardrails are in place in areas where there's a deep ditch or ravine or where skidding is possible. Roads are usually maintained well. I don't think that it's the roads that are the problem--I think it's the drivers.

A more reasonable solution to the problem of so many deaths from driving is to come down hard on drunk and/or negligent drivers, in my opinion. I think that many deaths and injuries happen as a result of drivers who are impaired in some way. I personally feel that people convicted of drunk driving or negligent driving shouldn't be getting tickets or light sentences. Especially in cases where there was an injury or a death, I think that the drivers should face serious prison time, even on the first (should be 'only') offense.

19. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 10, 2010

Cassie, in Kentucky we have a primary seat belt law. I can be pulled over if anyone in my vehicle isn't wearing a seatbelt.

Trees and utility poles...of course they are necessary, but they can be relocated in specific areas that are constant sites of accidents--I certainly don't advocate a sweeping removal of trees and utility poles. There are several spots that have names here such as Jenkins' Curve and Dead Man's Hill, and I'm sure this is true elsewhere as well, because so many accidents occur there. These areas need to be revisited and fixed.

Drivers are certainly to blame the majority of the time—simple human error or negligence. And you are right, most roads are safe. But there are serious design flaws in our many of our roads which make humans more prone to accidents. Some of the curves are just absurd!

I AGREE COMPLETELY WITH YOUR FINAL OPINION. I’M PASSIONATE ABOUT THIS!!!!!!

20. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Apr 10, 2010

Wow! Beautiful commercial. Gave me shivers.

21. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Apr 11, 2010

22. Kase

Kase Companion

Apr 11, 2010

So you would rather get fined for not wearing one or others not wearing theirs?

23. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 13, 2010

I'd rather place my safety on statistics than anecdotal stories:

• One out of every five drivers will be involved in a traffic crash this year.

• Motor vehicle crashes are the leading cause of death among people age 44 and younger and the number one cause of head and spinal cord injury.

• Approximately 35,000 people die in motor vehicle crashes each year. About 50 percent (17,000) of these people could be saved if they wore their safety belts.

• More than 90 percent of all motorists believe safety belts are good idea, but less than 14 percent actually use them.

• For every one percent increase in safety belt use, 172 lives and close to $100 million in annual injury and death costs could be saved.

• Safety belts when used properly reduce the number of serious traffic injuries by 50 percent and fatalities by 60-70 percent.

• For maximum protection safety belts should be fastened before traveling any distance or speed. Seventy-five percent of crash deaths and injuries occur within 25 miles of home. More than half of all injury-producing motor vehicle crashes involve low speeds under 40 m.p.h.

• Motorists are 25 times are more likely to be killed or seriously injured when they are "thrown clear" than when remain inside their vehicle.

• In a 30 m.p.h. collision an unbelted 160 lb. Person can strike another passenger, crash through a windshield and/or slam into the vehicle's interior with a 4,800 lb. force.

• Motorists can increase safety belt usage by example and verbal reminders. Nine out of 10 people buckle up when asked.

• Safety belt use is one of the best defenses against the unpredictable actions of the drunk driver.

• Today over 25 countries around the world have some type of mandatory safety belt law. Results of these laws were measured; usage rate went from 20-25 percent before passage to 60-90 percent after passage.

• A common cause of death and injury to children in motor vehicles is being crushed by adults who are not wearing safety belts. On out of four serious injuries to passengers is caused by occupants being thrown into each other.

• About 80 percent of all injuries to children in car crashes are injuries to the head, causing brain damage, permanent disfigurement, epilepsy or death.

• Of every 100 children who die in motor vehicle crashes at least 80 would survive if they were properly secured in an approved child safety seat or safety belts.

• Three out of four families with child safety seats fail to use them correctly. Adults need to follow manufacturer's instructions and secure seats properly before every trip.

• An estimated 80 percent of American children area immunized against contagious diseases, but less than 10 percent are properly restrained when riding in a motor vehicle.

24. Major

Major Connoisseur

Apr 13, 2010

Can't imagine driving without a seat belt......:):)

25. Kase

Kase Companion

Apr 15, 2010

Me neither. Even while I'm driving I constantly tug at the shoulder part to make sure it's tight enough and I don't even realize I'm doing it. Habit I guess.

26. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Apr 16, 2010

That was an awesome commercial!

I drive with a seatbelt on all the time, however, I was a passenger in my friends car when she got into an accident. She was the middle car - out of 7. I WAS wearing the seatbelt; but apparently it didn't work very well, it was too loose- even after being tightened. She walked away with a hurt toe from slamming the breaks. I on the other hand flew forward and hit my head on the visor that was down, and ended up twisting in some way that I now have 2 herniated discs in my upper back and nerve damage down my left arm (which requires surgery to perm. fix)

I guess you can say that even though I wear my seatbelt while driving, and while being in other peoples cars. I have mixed feelings about them.

27. Toak

Toak Cohort

Apr 16, 2010

How would I get fined for not wearing my seatbelt when I personally feel its better to wear one?

When I was in high school Johnny was killed because he didn't wear a seatbelt. Nick, Dominick, and Matt were killed because they had worn one (3 separate accidents). Two people in the vehicle with Matt survived solely because they were flung out of the vehicle because they were unrestrained. Bob, and someone else whose name I can't remember, were also saved because they had been flung out of their car.

My uncle was in a van with his four kids and girlfriend in it. he was the only one wearing a seatbelt - he was also the only one killed. The worst injury amongst the survivers being a broken wrist.

And I've a few more examples but no need to go on. As I said before, the stats could be different in the other area if people had made different choices of buckling up.

28. sydneygirl

sydneygirl Rookie

Apr 16, 2010

I'm gathering that you don't have to wear a seatbelt everywhere in the USA. It is the law in Australia that everyone in a car must be wearing a seatbelt and if you are stopped by the police it is the driver's responsibility- in holiday times if one of your passengers is without a belt you can have your licence suspended. They now make children in my state stay in child seat/booster seats until they are 7 years old.

We survived a serious head on crash caused by the other driver with only minor injuries as we were all wearing a seatbelt. The driver of the other car didn't bother to put her belt on or put her three year old in her car seat as she was in a hurry. They were badly hurt. It was the scariest time I have been through waiting for the ambulance with seriously injured people. Luckily everyone pulled through-later on the other driver came and apologised to us. It took months to convince my family to get back into a car but we got there. Now there are no grumbles when we say seat belts on.

29. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 17, 2010

Seat belt laws are divided into two categories: primary and secondary. Primary seat belt laws allow law enforcement officers to ticket a driver for not wearing a seat belt, without any other traffic offense taking place. Secondary seat belt laws state that law enforcement officers may issue a ticket for not wearing a seat belt only when there is another citable traffic infraction.

30 states, the District of Columbia, American Samoa, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands have primary seat belt laws.
    19 states have secondary laws.
    New Hampshire has enacted neither a primary nor a secondary seat belt law for adults, although the state does have a primary child passenger safety law that covers children under 18.

No need to get caught up in an accident anecdote story telling contest, Toak, the stories of survivors who wore safety belts far surpasses those who didn't...Buckle up.

30. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 18, 2010

What an incredibly moving commercial!!!

I have lots of stories about kids at school who did or didn't survive, based on seat belt use.

Suffice to say, I don't move my car until everyone is belted in.