'Seat work' in Kindergarten

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by jlj, Jul 8, 2014.

1. jlj

jlj Devotee

Jul 8, 2014

Do you have times that all are seated with work sheets to do or is everything done in work stations/centers while working with small groups at a table?

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 8, 2014

I took over mid year for a teacher with a LOT of classroom management issues. They were a rough group, too. We only did centers twice a week when I had help in the classroom.

Almost all lessons were done on the carpet, but yes, they were expected to practice at their seats. Plus writing was done at their seats.
    They also had morning work at their seats.

4. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 8, 2014

I do not use a lot worksheets. However there are times when they are writing in journals or doing writing assignments at their seats. You are going to need things on paper that they do individually to keep in their portfolios to show and assess growth.

5. jlj

jlj Devotee

Jul 8, 2014

Thanks. I know some shudder at the thought of 'seat work' in kinder but unfortunately it seems to be expected more and more. I do however totally believe in hands-on fun learning so I strive to maintain a balance.

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 8, 2014

My day:
    -Morning work- either a color the sight word sheet, a sheet that had to do with our current letter sound, once in a blue moon a math practice paper we didn't get to.
    -calendar
    -phonics- I used Orton-Gillingham. After our 3-part drill, they usually did a handwriting practice paper at their seats.
    -reading
    -free time
    -writing- mini lesson on carpet, in seats to write
    -math- mini lesson, manipulatives, practice paper.

On a normal day, they would do 3 'worksheets'. Sometimes we'd do something different, but that was the norm. Plus writing in their seats.

7. TnKinder

TnKinder Companion

Jul 8, 2014

My student do at least 2 a day. I do daily five so those activities are hands on, but they also need the practice of seat work and the data is needed for portfolios.

8. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 8, 2014

I do have some seat work, but often has a hands on component to it as well. We might make sets of 5 with colored counters and then record the combinations or practice writing a dictated sentence on a whiteboard at their seats.

9. k80hardy

k80hardy Rookie

Jul 8, 2014

Thank Q for posting an "outline" of your daily schedule. I will be teaching K this upcoming school year having come from 2 school years teaching 1st. This gives me some ideas.

Thank Q again!

10. reneeinms

reneeinms Rookie

Jul 10, 2014

I teach 4th, but my daugher was in pre-k last year and they did a good bit of seat work in pre-k. They did seat work every day (not sure how long) before lunch. They worked on glueing, coloring, matching worksheets, cutting, writing, and opposite/same worksheets during seat work.

11. Froreal3

Froreal3 Companion

Jul 10, 2014

In my pre-k class we do "seat work" every day. They need to be in small groups in their seats, but all of the activities/lessons were hands on and collaborative. We rarely did worksheets.

12. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jul 10, 2014

Bless all of you. I wouldn't have a CLUE how to teach these small children. I haven't the foggiest idea what activities are done in Kindergarten or how they learn how to do school, but somehow our first graders come in knowing some stuff! :eek: