Seat Sacks

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by clynns, Jul 5, 2011.

1. clynns

clynns Companion

Jul 5, 2011

Hi! I've been looking something like a seat sack for my chairs. The cheapest I've found them is $6 each. That would be a fortune for me! I have thought about making them but not sure how to or what all I would need. Any suggestions for a way to make them or an alternate to them?

3. letsteach

letsteach Comrade

Jul 5, 2011

Chair bags as they're called in Australia are very popular. At my children's school they are on the book list (from memory they cost around AU$7), however, they are used for 2 or 3 years. Once the children hit upper primary, they have to buy a larger bag as the chairs are bigger. Children use fabric markers to decorate their bags and write their names on their chair bags.

If other teachers are willing to use them, it would make be better value for money than to use them for just one year.

You could purchase one bag to see how it's made. They will use quite a bit of material and then factor in all the time it will take you to make them. Are there any parents who are handy with a sewing machine? One grandparent made curtains for my room (material was provided) so that could be an option.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

5. clynns

clynns Companion

Jul 5, 2011

Great idea! Thanks!!

6. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Jul 5, 2011

I had them made...I sew, I just didn't have time to do it at the time. I'm using them for my fourth year and they are still in great condition! I used denim...wears really well and hides dirt/stains etc. I had a friend use cotton and hers only lasted a year. They are easy to make...I'm sure you can find them made on etsy!

7. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jul 5, 2011

I made them out of cotton a bunch of years ago. Like Manda said, they only lasted a year. I liked them, but they didn't wash well, so at Christmas, when I took them home to wash, they looked bad. The kids still used them the rest of the year, but I threw them out after that.

It was cheaper than buying them, but not worth the effort, I thought, to redo them.