Seasoned Teachers: Are you set in your ways or still adventurous?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Em_Catz, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Aug 18, 2013

This is my 8th year teaching and reading another post on here, I realized that I am becoming less and less adventurous, especially when it comes to "fun" stuff for kids.

When I first started teaching, I thought outside the box more and I was always coming up with fun little activities for the kids to break up the school day. (big art projects like the time we made and painted vases for Mother's Day, class Yoga, inviting mystery readers in as incentive, daily "wrap" sessions, show and tell, in-school field trips, lunch with the teacher a few times a week, etc)

Admittedly, some of that "fun stuff" developed because I had terrible class management skills, so I felt like I needed extra incentives to keep my class under control.

I didn't realize that consistency and putting rules and procedures in place cuts down on 98% of unruly class misbehavior (at least in my experience)

Now that I have much better management skills and feel like i have a handle on things, I want to start bringing that fun stuff back. We are not allowed to deviate from the curriculum during mathematics and reading, but social studies and science there is some wiggle room.

How about you guys?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 18, 2013

My fun stuff is content related...but yes, I'm adventurous, keep it engaging, and try new strategies:D

4. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Aug 18, 2013

I am less adventurous now than I was when I first started, but that is due to the constraints placed on me from my district. I do try new strategies, and I try to keep it as fun as possible, but I miss the academic freedom I used to have.

5. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Aug 18, 2013

I want to be you when I grow up :lol: That's definately a challenge for me...keeping it fun and content related. Making vases was a great experience, but it really didn't relate to anything in the curriculum. :eek:

Me too! I understand we want the kids to be successful and prepared for the real world, but they also need time to be kids too.

When I was in middle and high school, we had about 45 minutes each day that was called "Expanding Horizons" and the teacher was allowed to do creative stuff during that time.

Most of our instructors would just treat it like a study hall so they could grade papers :lol: but I had a few teachers that would do projects with us, or we'd watch a serious film and have a discussion/debate. One teacher even started teaching us chess.

I used to really enjoy that period because I'm a "creative" type who struggled academically, so it was one of the few times I felt like i could shine.

6. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Aug 18, 2013

Yup, still adventurous and probably more so because I have more confidence to try new things. Also, more structured if that makes sense.

7. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Aug 18, 2013

I am actually more adventurous now than I was when I first started teaching over 20 years ago. The last 5 years has opened my eyes more to what can be accomplished with coming up with some creative ways to teach. One thing that has helped is that I am trying to read books about teachers who are creative and observing them online or in their classrooms.

The other thing that is helping me is technology. SMARTBOARDS and YouTube have allowed me to create unique lessons that were impossible for me 10 years ago.

It has made teaching so much more fun for the students and me, and it has also helped them learn more. I think if a teacher doesn't tap into their creativity once they are past the 10 year point, they have a great chance of burning out.

8. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Aug 18, 2013

Year 13 for me and I'm still adventurous!

9. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 18, 2013

I think there are two ways to approach this. As far as lesson planning and new strategies, I am very adventurous. As far as routines and procedures that work for me, I am not very adventurous at all. I've discovered what works for me. In that aspect, I think it is normal to stop experimenting with experience gained.
    I don't look at it as being less adventurous, but instead I look at it as no longer needing to experiment.

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 19, 2013

I certainly feel more adventurous than I was several years ago. I'm open to incorporating new strategies and try to stay up-to-date with what's going on in education. I'm blessed to work in a place where testing does not dictate what or how I teach.

11. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Aug 19, 2013

Always changing and evolving. :)

12. teacherman1

teacherman1 Devotee

Dec 7, 2013

Fun stuff...
    Show and tell...
    Field trips (in school or out)....
    Out of the box thinking...XXXXXXXXX (This is really a no no!)
    A lunch where kids can talk.....
    Creativity.....
    Deviation from "the program".....

None of these things are encouraged or allowed in Providence.
    That's why I quit.

13. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Dec 7, 2013

While I'm always looking for new strategies and lessons, I think I've also discovered that not every lesson needs to be super elaborate/exciting. Sometimes, the simplest way works the best, and that's okay. It's okay to have a routine where basic elements are the same each day/week. In fact, it makes the 'fun' lessons more special when they are 'sprinkled in' among the other ones.

14. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 7, 2013

I'm fairly set in my ways, but I've had 21 years to figure out my bag of tricks. I have quite a few things to select, so it's not like I have the exact same things going on year after year. I am extremely set in my ways with procedures and schedules.

15. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Dec 7, 2013

I have my routine that I go through, but it changes all the time. The longer I teach, the more ADD I realize I am. That means I get bored easily and have to change things up. I love learning new things and finding new and better way to bring information and ideas into my classroom. 17 years for me and on most days I still absolutely love my job. (A few days it's more like...I like you as a friend....with my job. lol)