Searching While Employed Elsewhere....

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by sks72, Oct 30, 2012.

1. sks72

sks72 Rookie

Oct 30, 2012

Hello All,

I'm elementary ed certified in PA, but I had to recently take an office job, so I could live and pay my bills. This is especially since I went back to school as an adult student.

I still plan on job hunting for at least a year while at this office job, but I know it may be tougher now, since I'm not subbing and "getting my face out there."

Any advice on a job hunt while otherwise employed? Put this job on the resume or not? I am also willing to move to a nearby state if need be.

Thanks!:unsure:

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 30, 2012

List your Ed experience first. Take some classes or workshops now so you an lst 'current' learning on your resume. Good luck to you.

4. Lovetoteach15

Lovetoteach15 Rookie

Oct 30, 2012

I did the same thing you are doing and still got hired for a teaching job. I also went back to grad school after working in another field and worked throughout grad school. After completing student teaching, I returned to my office job and looked for teaching jobs in the meantime. It took me about three months in my office job before I found a teaching job after I had finished student teaching.

Personally, I did put my office job on my resume, but it was under my student teaching. If I were you, I would put your teaching experiences ahead of your office job, but list that job too. The principal of the school where I was hired was very understanding of the fact that I worked another job because I had to have some steady money coming in while looking for teaching positions. Also, if you could find anything at all in your office job to relate to teaching, it may be beneficial as well when it comes time to go to interviews.

Additionally, I used my boss at my office job as a reference and they were fine with that too.

5. serenity74

serenity74 Rookie

Nov 1, 2012

I'm in the same boat. I highlighted my student teaching and other teaching related experience above my current position as an administrative assistant. Also, half of my references are from my admin. assistant colleagues as well. I've been getting interviews and have been told my resume is impressive, but no offers yet, SIGH. Still hopeful.