Searching for good websites

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by kgia828, Sep 16, 2008.

1. kgia828

kgia828 Guest

Sep 16, 2008

As part of my district objectives, it it mandatory that I incorporate technology into 3 content areas. What are some good websites to use as extension activities in any content areas? Second Grade.

Thanks for your help!!!

3. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Sep 16, 2008

Kgia,
    What state are you in and what reading series do you use? Those 2 answers will help a lot.

I have a lot of great sites, but don't want to overwhelm you with a huge list -- more info will help!

:)

4. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Sep 16, 2008

5. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Sep 16, 2008

6. kgia828

kgia828 Guest

Sep 16, 2008

I teach in New Jersey, but looking for just general websites that the children can work on independently. I checked out eduplace and really liked that site. Anything similar to that would be great.

Thanks so much!

7. tgim

tgim Habitué

Sep 16, 2008

Knowing your grade and reading series would help narrow down the multitude of choices...

8. soflgal

soflgal Companion

Sep 16, 2008

starfall.com

9. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Sep 18, 2008

internet4classrooms.com is broken down by standards

10. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Oct 12, 2008

http://nlvm.usu.edu/

Virtual library of manipulatives for math... ranges from preK- grade 12, and is broken down by area (ex: number, geometry, measurement, etc).

11. adellesmama

adellesmama Companion

Oct 26, 2008

Whoa UVAgrl928! :D I am totally digging the Virtual Library of Math Manipulatives!!! That will be an awesome resource to use with my SMARTBoard. Thanks for sharing! :)

12. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Nov 29, 2008

You're welcome! I am sooooo ready for my Smartboard to be wired. They installed it on my wall about a month ago, but I still can't use it! It is killing me and the kids! It was a website I was exposed to in one of my college classes, and would love to try it out with the kids!

13. Falcon Flyer

Falcon Flyer Companion

Dec 1, 2008

We use portaportal.com to organize our websites. Just create an account and add your websites, then the kids can log in as a guest and all their choices are right there organized by subject. No more spending half my computer time trying to get the kids to type in a web address! If you'd like to see an example, just go to www.portaportal.com and type in sr2 in the Guest Access box.

14. kim@kto5

kim@kto5 Rookie

Sep 9, 2009

I wanted to mention a website for educational videos called schoolvideos. If computer equipment is on-hand, I would definitely incorporating the use of multimedia in the classroom, which I can stimulate learning.

I have found that using music, animation and short clips of material related to the curriculum to engage the learner. Children enjoy colorful images, 3-D animation and other special effects. Maybe try incorporating some videos on school subjects on a special multimedia day. I don’t recommend using free educational videos from websites, because content as well as quality is not always the best. The educational videos on the schoolvideos website come in a variety of subjects for kids, ranging from history, science, the environment, planets, etc. After showing the clips, students can be asked to comment on the movie or write 3 things they liked or didn’t like about what they saw. This will help to increase retention time and spark an interest in learning. They can asked to draw pictures about what they learned, and even write a story related to the material presented.

I think using a blend of traditional teaching and multimedia can help students remember concepts, increase attention span and overall, can make a class fun and more enjoyable!