Searching for a year...about to give up :(

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Pinky12, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Pinky12

Pinky12 Rookie

Feb 3, 2011

Hello all.

I've recently graduated with my Master's in Instruction and Curriculum K-5 in the state of New Jersey. I've applied to over 100 school districts in the past year, and have only had ONE interview (unfortunately I was not offered the position). I am getting very frustrated and depressed. I have applied for subbing jobs as a way to get my foot in the door, but the 3 districts that I applied to have a surplus of subs and have yet to call me in. I even started taking the examinations necessary for New York state licensure, but I just got an email from the NYC Dept. of Education stating that they are not actively hiring teachers for the next school year. I feel like everything I do leads to a dead end and don't know what I can do now. :(

Any advice?

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 3, 2011

Find a job to keep you going financially for now. Keep trying to apply and find sub work. Eventually, there will be a job for you that you would like. It's tough right now for everyone, so hang in there.

4. fratermus

fratermus Companion

Feb 4, 2011

I've been subbing and applying to districts within a 2hr drive for 2.5yrs; very little response.

Last year's W2 says I made $10,400 in 2010. Yay.

I've started applying to non-teaching jobs and will absolutely take it if I get an offer. I chose the wrong time (late 2008) to make the leap. Time to face facts before I completely wreck my life over this dream.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 4, 2011

Are you willing to relocate?

6. Pinky12

Pinky12 Rookie

Feb 5, 2011

I'm willing to go to NY, NJ, Pennsylvania, Delaware or Florida. I'm already certified in NY and NJ, just need to save up some money before I can take the certifying exams for the other states. I live in Jersey so I've been applying to any district in the state that's accepting applications, the location doesn't matter to me.

I have a lot of student loans to pay off, and I'm considering applying to non-teaching jobs just so I can start getting rid of my debt. I spoke about this to one of my college professors, and he told me to hang in there, and that in ten years the country will need to hire over a million new teachers, and I'm like that's great but ten years is a long time to wait for a job!

7. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 5, 2011

I would continue applying if you heart is in it, but I don't see anything wrong with looking for a non teaching job. If you find a good job to get through until you can find a teaching job, no big deal. And if you end up very happy at the non teaching job, then maybe you will be done looking.

8. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Feb 6, 2011

Continue applying. With the range of states that you are looking in, something WILL pan out for you. I would substitute teach to also help you in gaining valuable teaching experience. Like I have said before, two years ago things looked pretty bleak for me. I had so much experience that I was convinced that I would not be cost effective to hire. I was offered several positions! I know it is hard, but sometimes sending out applications is not enough. I took resumes in by hand even though we were told not to do this. I made personal connections with principals. And I was hired. Sometimes, good on paper is not enough. Sometimes you have to go the extra mile and be good in person. Also, have some of the posters here look over your resume and cover letter. There may be something there that is not selling your personality and desire to teach. Give it a try! While this WILL be a lean year. It will not be an impossible year. I think the reason we are a little worried in Texas is because while things have been a little tight, we have not felt the recession like we have this year. To hear and see that people are losing jobs, and that classroom sizes will increase, well it is scary. And yet, like one poster said, they may be letting teachers know the worst case scenerio so that they will be proactive and contact their legislators and say... NO WAY - find ANOTHER way. Do not make our children suffer. While I am sure some of that mentality is out there, some of our instructional coaches have already been told that they will not have jobs. So, it is also hitting us in a very real way.

9. Pinky12

Pinky12 Rookie

Feb 6, 2011

Thank you guys for all of your advice. I have a career fair that is coming up in a few weeks...I'll be attending that, and if nothing comes out of that then I'm going to have to start seriously considering alternate careers, just to get by until I can find a teaching position.

I actually have gone to a lot of school districts to give my application in person, but most of the time I was told that the district's preference is to re-hire teachers who have been laid off before taking in others.

I'll definitely take your advice and post my resume/cover letter on here for some constructive criticism. Last year I was stressed and depressed because of the job situation, and I don't want to do that to myself this year. If I get a teaching job, then great. But if not, I'll have to start looking elsewhere...

10. Lindager

Lindager Companion

Feb 6, 2011

Where (as in what papers or web sites) are you looking for jobs? Can you stretch your college courses to get certified in more areas?
    There are jobs in NJ they are few and far between and most schools seem to prefer multiple areas of certification.

I have a friend who is certified in k-5 SPED and couldn't find a job. She finally got a job as an aide and is hoping that will at least get a foot in the door.

Don't give up on the subbing, sometimes schools have more then they need in Sept. but as the year wears on some do only 1 or 2 districts and other districts have a shortage. Have you also looked into applying for Long term Sub positions they can often lead to full time work.

Good luck with your search, did you know there are something like 611 school districts in NJ?