Searching for a school in need of supplies...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by amakaye, May 30, 2010.

1. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

May 30, 2010

As a service project, my students decided to collect gently used school supplies (binders, folders, extra notebooks, etc.) to send to a school in need. My first thought was to find a school affected by the recent flooding. Any suggestions? Or, would you be able to use a shipment of such supplies in your classroom?

3. glen

glen Companion

May 30, 2010

We have a 'sister school' in Mississippi that we send things to at different times throughout the year, but I don't know how we were paired up. Sometimes we send them supplies, someitmes we have all of the students make cards or write letters. They often send us pen pal type correspondence and on occasion pictures and video of their school activities. Our students really look forward to the communication with the sister school.

The areas affected by hurricane Katrina are still recovering- maybe you could contact a charity that works in that area.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 30, 2010

This might get you started:
    http://www2.ed.gov/about/inits/ed/bookcampaign/gulfcoast.html

Or if, as you suggest, you want to donate to the schools affected by the recent flooding, you could probably contact the office of hte Mayor or Board of Ed in the areas effected.

Even just google "Nashville public schools" and email a bunch of the schools there.

5. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

May 30, 2010

Thanks, glen and Alice. I'll look into those ideas. I just figured I'd see if there was anybody in the A to Z community first. :)

6. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

May 30, 2010

I live near Nashville. The school system is Metro Nashville Public Schools. There is also a Christian school named Lighthouse Christian Academy in Antioch, TN - a suburb of Nashville. Their preschool building floated away. Which ever school receives this gift will be blessed by your generosity!!!