searching and searching for a teaching position

Discussion in 'General Education' started by gp3530, Jun 24, 2012.

1. gp3530

gp3530 New Member

Jun 24, 2012

Does anyone know any school in NYC or Long Island that may be hiring for the upcoming 2012-2013 school year?? I have been trying for years to get a position and I have had no luck at all. I know that there are so many people in the same position as I am. It is frustrating and depressing., but I do not want to give up hope. I teach prek-6, special education b-12, and Literacy b-6. I have 3 years teaching experience. I am welcoming any and all advice!

3. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jun 24, 2012

My daughter in the same location as you finally found a way to bring her two passions together - she became a horse trainer. She said she is still a teacher - teaches people of all ages to ride - and she spends all day around horses. She never had the opportunity to teach even with a magna cum laude degree in literature and education.

I do wish you luck. If you can be flexible, maybe you should try a different area of the country.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 24, 2012

It definitely is tough. Is there anyway that you could relocate? It can help you get more experience.

5. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jun 24, 2012

I was also going to suggest relocating. I moved to Florida for 2 years when I graduated. Best experience ever. I had so much fun, gained wonderful classroom experience and made great friends.

Best wishes on your search.

6. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jun 24, 2012

There are definitely jobs out there in NYC, especially in special education. Maybe you need to be more flexible about the types of schools you're looking at? I graduated from college recently and all of my special education major friends have had no problem getting jobs. However almost every single one is working in a title 1 school.

Have you had any interviews you could maybe learn from or are you not getting interviews at all?

7. gp3530

gp3530 New Member

Jun 24, 2012

I taught in Brooklyn for a year and after the school year ended I decided it wasn't for me. Im sure I may have a better experience in a diferent school. None of the NYC schools post there openings on their websites. Last year, I went down a list and called them all and sent my resumes over, but only got one call for subbing and Im not in a position to work part time unfortunately. Ive been applying to schools in North Carolina as well, and would move if I have no other choice.

8. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jun 24, 2012

You're right, none of them do post openings on their websites. I would suggest dressing professionally and walking your resume right into the schools. Specifically look at newer schools and growing schools (schools that are adding on an upper grade level each year) because they have the least hiring restrictions. Why wasn't the school in Brooklyn for you? Is there anyone there or anyone you know that could help open some doors for you? Often it's about who you know to get that interview and then once you're in you have to show off what you know.

9. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jun 24, 2012

I agree with iteachbx...I walked into an office of a school once and was offered a job there the next day. Good luck!

10. perplexed

perplexed Comrade

Jun 24, 2012

I had to relocate for 3 years....it was a tough 3 years being in a new place, but it was worth it because it got my foot in the door, just having experience. Now I'm back home in a desirable district. Good Luck! My friend went to NC for a teaching job, and now got a job back home.

11. physteach

physteach Companion

Jun 24, 2012

You can't get hired without going through NYCTeach (or whatever the board of ed website is). You register through them and they either match you to a school (too late for this for the upcoming year) or search for listings on that site. You should also consider looking on OLAS for Lower Hudson Valley or Long Island.

12. gp3530

gp3530 New Member

Jun 26, 2012

yes, I have been on OLAS and applying for over 6 years. I did a leave replacement for 2 years on the Island, but after that I haven't been able to find anything. Thank you for all the suggestions. I applied to the Wake County school district in N.C so we will see what happens!

13. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jun 26, 2012

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

14. timsterino

timsterino Comrade

Jun 27, 2012

Can you get certified in more areas?

15. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jun 27, 2012

A lot of Charter Schools in NYC were hiring and I still get the notices from Teachers-Teachers. Did you apply to any of them?

16. Alen Jones

Alen Jones Rookie

Jun 28, 2012

I can understand how much depressing it would be to seat at home with experience of 3+years in the industry. You will surely get the job in upcoming session, but till then you can do work that will remain you in teaching industry with extra earnings too. I am talking about E teaching, in which you can teach student through virtual classroom by seating at home only. While this will increase your global exposure, you will also get some financial help from this. You may try sample classes and other details here bit.ly/XF6v8 .

17. Rachael84

Rachael84 Rookie

Jul 7, 2012

Just because after a year you think "it's not for me," doesn't mean it WILL turn out better. My friend teaches middle school in Brownsville, Brooklyn. It can't get any worse than that. Every week she comes home with serious bruises from the students attacking her. But she's earned their respect for staying since the kids know teacher turnover is high. You'd be surprised how much better it gets once you have their respect.

18. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 7, 2012

Keep in mind that only about half the 125 Long Island districts are listed on OLAS. Google will help you find the other half.