SDC Class Too difficult?

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by HoneyBee#3, Sep 12, 2019.

1. HoneyBee#3

HoneyBee#3 Rookie

Sep 12, 2019

We have a new teacher at the middle school for our SDC ELA/Social Studies classes, for grades 6-8. He is effective in dealing with the negative behaviors in the class. I'm a 1:1 Para, my student is at a 3rd grade reading level. I helped another student in the same class who I believe might have been at a 1st grade reading level.
    We have another student "Joe" who is deemed "mod" on his IEP, but seems to be "mod-severe." His cognition is maybe at 1st--2nd grade level, the teacher doesn't give "Joe" any work to do for the 2 classes. He just draws on paper or plays with the textbooks. The teacher mentioned to me that the classes are too difficult for "Joe." Yet, he doesn't give "Joe" any work to do in class.
    The teacher uses textbooks/workbooks that are at an 8th grade level. There are SPED & SDC modifications within the teacher's edition, either he doesn't know they exist or he is lesson planning his way (which is his right, he's the teacher). I feel that the assignments are too difficult for the students to do. None of the students complain about the work to the teacher. Most if them don't understand what the assignment is, and are always asking me & the other Para what they need to do. The teacher is in the class, & must see that they struggle. I asked the other Para if she knew what grade level the textbooks are. She told me she knew and thought it was great that the students seem to be doing ok. I told her that I thought it was too difficult & was concerned. She just shrugged her shoulders.
    I'm not one to tell a teacher how to teach, I don't feel that it is my place to do so.
    We've been in school a month already.
    Wouldn't the teacher know this curriculum is too difficult for the students?
    What should be done with "Joe"?

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Sep 13, 2019

I guess the real question is whether the students are appropriately classified, and whether the district prefers the "turn a blind eye" approach vs. the "let's get appropriate teaching materials for these lowest students." Districts have been known to turn a blind eye when it saves them money. Just a thought. . .

Tired Teacher and HoneyBee#3 like this.
  4. HoneyBee#3

HoneyBee#3 Rookie

Sep 13, 2019

Sometimes it's all about the dollar these days when the main focus should be the students. Do I say anything to anyone or turn a blind eye like the other districts?

5. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Sep 13, 2019

You "might" seek clarification from the CST, without offering any judgement in the matter, if you want to keep your job. You can sometimes ask for guidance according to the IEP, since you spend more time with the student, and you want to make sure you are doing what is absolutely the best per the IEP. It should go without saying that criticism with any individuals or methods of teaching needs to be left out of the conversation. You are only trying to do what you are able to do under the IEP to meet the needs of the student. If you think anyone would take offense at your inquiry, I would reconsider my plan to ask any questions. Call this self-preservation 101.

Tired Teacher and HoneyBee#3 like this.
  6. HoneyBee#3

HoneyBee#3 Rookie

Sep 13, 2019

Vickilyn,
    I appreciate your honesty & your advice. I'm probably going to sit on this for a couple more weeks to see if I can come up with a better solution.
    I've been watching to see if any other Para positions open up within the district. It may be best for me to work elsewhere.

7. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Comrade

Sep 13, 2019

Joe should be placed in a classroom with a certified teacher and a very small group of students who need extra help. His placement is incorrect. Also, it is your job to help the sped student you are assigned to …..not to worry about the new teacher.

8. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Sep 13, 2019

Clearly stated and factual. OP, your concern is a positive attribute, but may be perceived as a form of interference, which is the basis of my suggestions to tread carefully.

HoneyBee#3 and Tired Teacher like this.
  9. HoneyBee#3

HoneyBee#3 Rookie

Sep 13, 2019

I enjoy reading your comments, I can always expect an honest post from you.
    I agree with you regarding "Joe." I don't think we have the ability to support him at our site. Last year, "Joe" became physically aggressive with many students. One student, was knocked down & hit her head on the ground, nothing happened. "Joe" should have a para, I was told he's never going to get one. The district doesn't want to spend the money.
    My sped student is doing well in her SDC classes, the school psych & admin don't agree on an approach for my student. I'm told to step back from her one minute, then the next minute if I'm too far behind her, they are asking me where she is. I help other students in the class, as long as my student doesn't need help. In fact, admin changed "Joe's" schedule last week to mirror my student's schedule, hmmm coincidence? Or is the district trying to save $, so they don't have to hire another para? ;)
    My student is one of those cases where, to avoid litigation...Because mother has a precedent, it's just easier to hire a para, than to deal with a potential legal nightmare. Case carrier (not the teacher I mentioned above) is too busy to meet with me to discuss goals, etc. My only avenue of communication with her is through email unfortunately. Even though the IEP says we need to meet 30 min a month?
    I disagree with you about "Also, it is your job to help the sped student you are assigned to …..not to worry about the new teacher."
    Clearly, the SDC teacher hasn't read my student's IEP. He calls upon her to read out loud, in class. Since her reading skills do not match the 8th grade textbook, and she's embarrassed; she refuses and becomes defiant & disrespectful to the teacher. She loses points for not participating, is given a consequence & she is a force to be reckoned with, rest of the day.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  10. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Comrade

Sep 14, 2019

Yeah, Joe definitely belongs in another school....reformatory or military!. Something should have happened. I am getting so tired of kids being aggressive and getting away with it. It is not fair to the others.
    It does not sound like of a coincidence that Joe's schedule mirrored yours. The schools are saving $ at the expense of kids in many places. It has become a sad joke where I am at too.
    It sounds like they kind of stick you in a legal bind too. I feel like that a lot as we no longer get a copy of our kids IEP's. Our Sped teacher told us the P does not want paper copies floating around. If I ask to see 1, she will email me anything different I have to do for the child.
    That has to be frustrating as all get out when they tell you 1 thing 1 day and switch it the next. I've been in that type of situation before too. Oh, I did not catch the reading aloud part. That is pretty bad. He is probably is clueless if he is new and hasn't been given the IEP. I have never known a teacher to do something like that on purpose. That does put you in a weird predicament. Are you sure he was given a copy?

HoneyBee#3 likes this.
  11. HoneyBee#3

HoneyBee#3 Rookie

Sep 16, 2019

There's always a chance he may not have seen my student's IEP.
    How would it look if I ask the teacher, "Have you seen my students's IEP?"
    Why am I asking? It's not my job to make sure all involved are reading the students IEP. I agree with you, on so much. I don't understand why some teachers and some administrators put us in a position.
    When I worked at a different school, same district...I worked for a teacher who told me, "I never look at IEPs, I wait for the student to let me know about themelves...then after they've been here 3 weeks I might glance at the IEP..."
    Then I had to ask the important question, because I already read the IEP. "Well, what if this student has a medical condition? Wouldn't you want to know?"
    The teacher seemed concerned at this point...he said, "Well, does the student have a medical condition?"
    "Yes, he has kidney issues therefore he may have restroom issues.." I said.
    I thought, unbelievable. But not my place to say anything even at this point, he's the teacher. Again, this was a different school.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  12. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Comrade

Sep 21, 2019

Yeah, I get ya..I wouldn't ask that either! I always want a heads up if I need it or not. Sometimes different teachers see different behaviors in kids. Our personalities are as different as theirs. A friend of mine gets a lot of my kids. Sometimes a kid will drive her crazy that I loved or she'll like 1 a lot that drove me up a wall.
    Years ago, I remember it kind of being a fad not to read cum folders and make up your own mind about the kid. Admin and U's seemed to like that idea. Maybe the teacher from another school transferred or mixed that up w/ an IEP....Bad mistake! You are right about the health issues. I like to know and then I still make up my own mind. I don't think it "taints my mind," but sometimes it can save you weeks of wondering, "Why is that kid like that?" lol

HoneyBee#3 likes this.