sculpture idea for little kids

Discussion in 'Art Teachers' started by Bernard, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Bernard

Bernard Companion

Aug 3, 2009

I'm looking for open-ended sculpture/3-D art ideas for preschool/kindergarten-aged children.

We do clay and dough projects, junk sculptures, and sculptures made by sticking things into foam.

Any other suggestions, such as unique (drying) homemade modeling compounds or other sculpture ideas made with easy-to-find materials?

THANKS VERY MUCH!

3. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Aug 3, 2009

We do a cardboard sculpture. You can cut up cardboard boxes into different shapes and use a large piece of cardboard for the base. Then, use a paintbrush and Elmers glue to glue the pieces of cardboard together. Let it dry overnight and it's done! The kids can even paint them too.

Another thing we did was with peas. If you buy the dried peas in the grocery store and soak them overnight, the kids can use peas and toothpicks to make sculptures. The wet peas make a great medium for holding the toothpicks together. Again, let it dry overnight, and by the morning the peas have dried again the toothpicks are stuck tight. The sculptures are a bit fragile, but the kids loved it. I should add that you need to keep the "wet" peas in the fridge so they don't sprout. :lol:

We did both of these with our kindergartners.

4. SweetHomeAlabam

SweetHomeAlabam Companion

Aug 4, 2009

oooh oooh I know one!!

My children got to make these adorable angels. Parent volunteers (me) helped them so it would go smoother.

Take an empty water bottle (encourage water bottles!)
    take newspaper and shred into strips and one wad (sp?) of paper with a tail that goes into the bottle for the head
    wrap a pipe cleaner around the neck with "arms" sticking out on the side.
    dip the paper strips into the decoupage glue material and drape them over the pipe cleaners going toward the bottle
    then dip more and wrap all over. it will look like an angel with a cloak with the arms out. After it dries, the kids can paint it whatever color they want.
    great to send home to the parents!

5. Securis

Securis Cohort

Aug 6, 2009

Well, let's see. There are sculptures "in the round" which you have written about experiencing.

You can do reliefs by making impressions in clay with hands, leaves, or just anything that will leave an impression.

You can take pencil drawings of some "cool" subject that students will find totally enthralling. Use white glue to create plates by tracing their outlines with the sticky stuff. (Insert intermission type project while glue dries) Once dry, you can emboss over the top with thick paper or thick foil. This requires some type of press, brayers, or something to apply adequate but light pressure. You end with low relief and can relate it to the way coins are made.

LEGOS!!!!!