SCRUBS?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by tgpii, May 12, 2012.

1. tgpii

tgpii Comrade

May 12, 2012

OK so I got a job offer. I know some daycares require scrubs or smock as uniform. Most of the time it was optional or I got out of it because I was male. I think they are unprofessional unless your in the medical field. One person was like yo will not have to ware them. Another person we had a male wear them. It is not so much the scrubs it is the colors you have to wear.

Monday = Ocean Blue Tuesday = Hot Pink Wednesday = Lime Green Thursday = Orange Friday = Yellow. I am going to have to talk to them about this. Not to be sexiest but a male in Hot Pink scrubs? Anyways what you think? Also I think I have to buy my own uniforms.

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 12, 2012

I'm not sure that they'll make an exception to their staff uniform for you. Perhaps they would allow you to wear khakis and a polo in the colour of the day?

4. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

May 12, 2012

I agree. If its a policy, they probably wouldn't exempt you from the required uniform.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 12, 2012

Given all the trouble you've had finding the right job, I wouldn't let THIS be the deal breaker.

Buying your own uniform shouldn't be a big deal either; you would be expected to buy your work clothes in most lines of work. I know that I spend some pretty good money on the clothes I wear to work. And at least scrubs are easy to wash and incredibly comfortable.

6. MrsAllison

MrsAllison Rookie

May 12, 2012

Wish I could wear scrubs to work! Super comfortable and not having to fumble around in the morning trying to put an outfit together? Yes, please!

7. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

May 12, 2012

Seriously!

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 12, 2012

I'm sure you meant sexist, not sexiest...:dizzy:

Be thankful you got a job offer.

9. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

May 12, 2012

Haha :whistle:

10. MrsAllison

MrsAllison Rookie

May 12, 2012

I don't think they are unprofessional if they are required and everyone else wears them too -- they are more practical than anything. I agree that this shouldn't be a deal-breaker. I would be happy just to have a job! But once you get the job maybe you can work with them and ask if you can wear something other than pink.

11. soldier86

soldier86 Rookie

May 12, 2012

As I male I agree with the OP. I would feel out of place wearing scrubs of these colors. But if I got a call from any one of the schools I have interviewed with and they said I could have the job as long as I wore a pink dress on Fridays; you know very well that I would show up in the best dang pink dress that school has ever seen!

12. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

May 12, 2012

YEP!!!

13. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 12, 2012

OMG...:lol::lol::lol:

I like your attitude!! Some school is going to snatch you up bigtime!!!

14. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

May 12, 2012

Why not be grateful to have a job offer? I know many of us here would gladly be in your position.

15. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

May 12, 2012

Well said!
    :lol::lol::lol:

16. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 12, 2012

I know it might be weird to wear those colors as a male, but I'm sure they have had other male employees and they all agreed to do it.
    If they haven't made exception for them, they probably won't do it for you. I would do as they say, and then who knows, later on, maybe things can change?

I've heard scrubs are comfy, and having requested colors on certain days definitely cuts down on figuring out what to wear.

17. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

May 12, 2012

I'm not sure what the big deal is. They're just colors.

18. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

May 12, 2012

Also, even if you need to buy your own, it might be cheaper than buying work clothes.

19. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

May 12, 2012

Now see....that is a great attitude! :lol:

20. houseofbooks

houseofbooks Companion

May 12, 2012

I'm sure you'll be fine. I happen to think pink looks awesome on guys! /zero sarcasm, promise!

21. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

May 12, 2012

Monday = Eeyore day
    Tuesday = Piglet day
    Wednesday = No idea... by this point in your wardrobe, Margarita day seems likely
    Thursday = Tigger day
    Friday = Pooh day

22. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

May 12, 2012

:lol::lol:

23. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 12, 2012

Ha! :D Yep! That's the ticket.

OP...Buying uniform is normal. If you feel you need to say something, you may want to just ask about the Wednesday hot pink. I would not call them or go in and have a meeting about it. When do you start? Can you, at your orientation, just ask something light like "do guys wear the hot pink on Wednesday or is there an alternative?" Once you get your answer, that's it. No boat rockin' in this market.

24. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 12, 2012

Amen! I would love this.

25. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

May 13, 2012

I wouldn't necessarily say other male employees agreed with those colors. In fact, it's entirely possible not all of the current staff agrees with those colors, but weren't really given a choice.

Most of those colors would look best on someone with a darker skin tone, so I'm guessing whoever is in charge of the uniforms fits that description.

My ex works in a doctor's office. They also have to wear specific colors on specific days. Once a year, the office manager chooses the "new" colors or prints for the next year. At first, the employees were allowed to have some input on the color choices. Then the manager decided it was just more convenient if SHE made the decisions by herself. My ex has been extremely UN-happy with some of the colors that were chosen and the colors did look horrible with her skin tone and hair color, but she still had to wear them.

tgpii - I understand your dislike of these colors, but I agree with the others, I wouldn't let it be a deal-breaker. AFTER you've worked there for a bit, you might ask if you could choose polo shirts and khakis rather than scrubs, but you'll still have to pay for them.

In the meantime, I do agree with the others that scrubs are comfortable and very easy to wash. It does also eliminate the need to choose an outfit each day, since you already know what you will be wearing.

Just as a sidenote, most hospitals don't give nurses or employees a lot of input on the colors they wear and the employees usually have to pay for their scrubs there as well. So the policy is more common than you might expect.

26. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

May 13, 2012

I wouldn't be too thrilled about having to wear scrubs to work. I love dressing up and would maybe feel a little sloppy.

But, a job is a job, and you shouldn't let the dress code influence your decision.

27. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

May 13, 2012

:yeahthat:

Although, I once interviewed at a school that would have required me to dress according to their religion. I think I would have been extremely uncomfortable with that.

28. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

May 13, 2012

I had an interview at a school (public), and the principal asked me if I would wear a suit every day. I told her that I would wear my dress shirt, dress pants, and tie, but that I didn't think I would wear a suit jacket every day. They never called back...some may think it's a minor thing, but I can just imagine all of the other silly requirements they might have.

29. tgpii

tgpii Comrade

May 13, 2012

May I ask what that would be? :confused:

30. tgpii

tgpii Comrade

May 13, 2012

OK, I ask for that one! :rolleyes:

31. tgpii

tgpii Comrade

May 13, 2012

In the past, one place said scrubs but did not enforce it. First daycare I worked at you were suppose to wear a smock. It was designed in woman’s fashion. Since I was the first male to work there, they just gave me a company t shirt to wear.

One place wanted males in shirt and tie. Females had to wear a dress. Seeing females trying to work with preschoolers in a dress I felt so sad for them. Also dress clothes cost more but they did not give you more pay for them.

Any idea how much Scrubs cost? Funny thing is I am in the reserves as a medic and I don't even wear scrubs for that.

Side note: Happy Mother's Day to all the Moms and Moms to be.

32. tgpii

tgpii Comrade

May 13, 2012

I think I am the only current male employee. I am a medic in the reserves and I don't even wear scrubs for that.

33. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 13, 2012

If you bargain shop- you get get them for as low as $5-10 a piece (pants, top). However, looking for specific colors is going to make that a bit tougher. It still should be able to be done for no more than $20-25 a piece. It does stink that you have to buy them all at once.

34. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 13, 2012

A medic works in the field and so wouldn't wear scrubs, no, but military members working in hospitals and clinics do wear scrubs when they're appropriate.

35. TeachOn

TeachOn Habitué

May 13, 2012

"Scrub," an interesting word, once meant a person of little standing.

I wear blue jeans (or black), a tasteless shirt, and a tweed jacket every day.

Everyone should wear that, so I can blend in better, my highest aspiration.

Besides, scrubs are that horrible cotton/polyester stuff. I have taken a pledge of wool, cotton, and silk: animal, plant, and worm. I am a beardless Mr. Natural, for those of a certain age.

[​IMG]

Note lack of helmet!!!!

36. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

May 13, 2012

tgpii, I would have been required to dress as the women in their culture do, the body completely covered, including the head. Only your face & hands could be uncovered, I think neck too.

I don't remember if I could wear pants or not. I may have had to wear long skirts all the way to the floor. Long sleeves at all times and the shirt had to go to your neck. And a head scarf.

I totally understand that they want their teachers to be models for their young girls. You didn't have to believe in their faith, but you had to follow their religious teachings, including dress, while at work. I can respect their faith and beliefs.

There was just something about it that didn't feel right for me. It was not the right fit, not the school for me. They never called me back.

37. tgpii

tgpii Comrade

May 13, 2012

I did recently turn down a job of similar pay. However this offers raises and advancements. The other place would not. Anyways anyone know how much scrubs cost?

38. Xidous003

Xidous003 Companion

May 13, 2012

Tgpii - Scrubs, like all clothes, vary in cost. I am sure you could look to spend $20 for each pair.

In any event...take the job!!! I once worked at a shook that had some themed days. It isn't unprofessional...just the way those schools work is all. I would love to wear scrubs. A lot cheaper than 'professional dress' clothes and you don't have to worry about why you get on them.

39. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 13, 2012

The cost varies much like any other sort of clothing. Walmart sells scrubs for around $12 each piece (meaning twelve for top, twelve for bottoms). There are brands that cost more.

I would love, love to wear scrubs every day! :)

40. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 13, 2012

Scrubs (the garment) came into widespread use in hospital operating rooms in the latter half of the 20th century, in the wake of the discovery that following Lister's aseptic practice did actually lead to a lower incidence of post-op infections and deaths. Up to that point, doctors generally wore their own clothing while performing surgical procedures, and they were pretty casual about handwashing and the like. Once everyone joined the Lister bandwagon, however, it became a point of pride not merely to wash with regular soap but to "scrub" the hands thoroughly with something like Betadine before a procedure in the operating room. (To this day, the primary care provider who is allowed to assist a surgeon operating on her patient is said to be "scrubbing in".) In addition, special clothing was designed to be worn just in the operating room: a loose pullover top and drawstring pants, originally in white, though it was soon discovered that light green was a good deal easier on the eyes and a little better at disguising bloodstains as Betadine stains. The ensemble debuted as a "surgical green suit" or "surgical greens", but because one scrubbed immediately after donning the items, it became known as a "scrub suit" and then as "scrubs".

The etymology of scrub 'to clean by rubbing' is a bit unclear, according to my treasured OED 1; it could be a borrowing from Dutch, though a sense 'to curry-comb a horse' appears in the 14th century.

Scrub in the sense 'low bush' is cognate with shrub 'low woody plant', which (the American Heritage Dictionary tells us) goes back to Old English scrybb 'bush'; it's not hard to see how the term could have come to be applied to a person of little stature or status.

41. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

May 13, 2012